Tranz Alpine train

JEBurton

Does anyone have any info on taking the Tranz Alpine train from Christchurch to Arthur's Pass (or another station along the way but not going all the way to Greymouth), then returning to Christchurch by coach? I found the website for the train but need to know if a coach (or some other form of transportation) is available for the return.

john

Are you doing this as a day tour while your ship is in port or as part of a post cruise day trip.

I did it on my own, as part of a day trip from Christchurch. I went all the way to Greymouth and back the same day. The people I saw getting off at Arthur's pass seemed to be part of organized tours. The train station is far from where the ship docks.

This is one tour that would be hard to do on your own.

I'm trying to determine if it would be feasible to do the train trip as a day tour while the ship was in port. For some reason, I thought the Lyttleton railroad station wasn't too far from the cruise port.

I'm trying to determine if it would be feasible to do the train trip as a day tour while the ship was in port. For some reason, I thought the Lyttleton railroad station wasn't too far from the cruise port.

Lyttleton station isn't far but I'm pretty sure the Tranzalpine leaves from in town and that's a decent cab ride away. I think you might be cutting it very close to get even to Arthurs Pass and back in a day.

One of the Kiwis will know a bit more about this I'm sure

If you are on a cruise ship call to Christchurch and want to do the Tranz Alpine, you have really have no other choice than to take the ships tour..

Demand is high for this train and the ship has to take a block booking.

It leaves from the other side of Christchurch fairly early in the morning.

It is nomally a whole day tour over to Greymouth and return,but the ship arranges for coaches to meet you at Arthurs Pass ,which is half way,and returns you via a very scenic route,calling in at a farm on the way back.

There is no transport at Arthurs Pass,so even if you did arrange to do it on your own, you would have to arrange a private pick up here which could probably end up costing just as much as the ships tour, as someone would have to drive out from Christchurch to pick you up.

I definitely agree that if would be a shame to miss Christchurch (if you haven't been there before). We did the Transalpine some years ago (after a stay in Christchurch and on our way to Queenstown) and loved it. However, Christchurch is one of our favorite places to be in NZ and, even with our next trip being our third time there, we will have things to do that we haven't done yet and enjoy visiting some of our favorite haunts.

However, if you decide to do the train excursion, I agree that, in this case, the ship's tour is the way to go... whatever you decide, have a wonderful time.

Archived