looking for cruise advice on canceling or keeping -1 st cruise for us

ladyduarte

ok i am in deperate need of help we are booked for a nov 13th cruise to eastern car. on caribbean princess.

well we were going with another couplet that had to back out on us that stunk big time :(

so my husband and i still want to go but he is totally scared to death of getting seas sick he went ona fishing trip and was so so sick (yes i have totally explained 1 million times differnt then a ship, but he is worried on weather

any november cruisers what is your sea experience like??

still hurricane season but late into it???

please help reassure me that i will love this cruise

first time for both of us

any suggestion or guidance is highly appreciated :):)

I've never cruised in November, but I did cruise the Caribbean in late October many years ago - pre-stabiliser days - and didn't have a moment's problem. And I am very, very prone to motion sickness. Throw a couple of packages of Bonine in (available OTC at your local pharmacy) and go for it! November hurricanes are not unheard of, but they're very rare. Hope this helps - Donia

If your husband was willing to go when the other couple was going, you ought to go now. He would have gotten seasick then too, so what's the difference. Maybe he just doesn't like the idea of not having the other couple. Go now and take some meds for if he needs them. You'll only regret not going you might resent him. ENJOY!!!

I agree w/Donna5. You probably would have more fun with your friends along, but meeting new people is great fun too. See if your sailing date and ship has a roll call going. Alot of friendly people on the roll calls ;) !!!

ok i am in deperate need of help we are booked for a nov 13th cruise to eastern car. on caribbean princess.

well we were going with another couplet that had to back out on us that stunk big time :(

so my husband and i still want to go but he is totally scared to death of getting seas sick he went ona fishing trip and was so so sick (yes i have totally explained 1 million times differnt then a ship, but he is worried on weather

any november cruisers what is your sea experience like??

still hurricane season but late into it???

please help reassure me that i will love this cruise

first time for both of us

any suggestion or guidance is highly appreciated :):)

Abe Lincoln said you can't fool all the people all the time....

Virtually every crusier has concerns about seasickness their first time. Nearly all of them are quickly delighted to find it isn't a concern. Which is why the industry is growing at leaps and bounds every year.

November isn't particularily rough and presents no issue. They steer well clear of weather, 1/2 billiion dollar investments make you careful.

As to the cancelling couple, that is really, really not a problem. Cruisers are amongst the friendliest group of people anwhere. I bet you a steak dinner that you meet great people on a roll call or on board that are every bit as much fun as the people who bailed on you. One big vote to GO!

I agree with what everyone has said..........I promise you (and you already know this)........get him on the ship and everything will take care of itself....no matter who or who doesn't go.........he'll have a great time...........

My DH gets motion sickness on boats and on amusement rides. He was scared to death he would be sick on a cruise so we put off trying it forever. We finally decided to try a short cruise so if he was miserable it would only be a few days not a week or more. We found the perfect "cocktail" and he hasn't been sick for a moment ever since. Take one ginger capsule and one Meclizine tablet every day starting the day BEFORE you cruise. Meclizine is available at Walgreens and is the active ingredient in Dramamine but much much cheaper. Also, we had no problem drinking alcohol with it or making us drowsy. Go, enjoy your cruise, and take lots of pics to show the wimps who backed out ;)

I do get sea sick. I sailed in Nov. No problems. Get Bonine (sp). Start the Night before and take one pill a day at night. You will sleep better. He will not get sick. Now what are you planning on doing at the ports.

As above go to the roll call board and find others who are going. Meet and have fun. This is what I do and I travel alone all the time. I have met many people and enjoyed my vatcations.

We sailed over Thanksgiving on the Sea Princess (Nov 99) and there was a hurricane in the Eastern part (we sailed West). The first 2 nights, the seas were very rough but then they calmed the farther South we got.

I wouldn't worry so much about the rough seas in November...only because they can happen any time. I, too, was worried about getting seasick, but have been fine so far. I can barely rock in a rocking chair or watch someone rock without getting a little queasy. One afternoon, I felt a little uneasy...not sick, just not "steady on my feet". I went to the lower, center part of the ship and sat in a nice big, comfy leather chair. Snoozed a little, woke up feeling great. Honestly, most of the time, I can't tell we're moving. I say go. If he gets really sick, he can go to the dr. on the ship and get a shot and be feeling better in no time at all. I've not done it, but my TA says not to hesitate to do it, rather than waste valuable cruise days. You don't know unless you go!! BTW, I'm on that sailing, so I'll be praying for smooth sailing, too!

thank you so much

he has had the scare for a while and them backing out we just want to make sure that we want to do this

i am nervous and excited and i really really want to go,

i have till tomorrow to give my final payment and or cancel it :):)

but i think hey you only live once right?????

i think besides the one post on the rough seas you all talked me into it :)

now i have to work on him tonight LOL

thank you

I've never cruised in November, but I did cruise the Caribbean in late October many years ago - pre-stabiliser days - and didn't have a moment's problem. And I am very, very prone to motion sickness. Throw a couple of packages of Bonine in (available OTC at your local pharmacy) and go for it! November hurricanes are not unheard of, but they're very rare. Hope this helps - Donia

I agree, this is something that you can in most cases treat OTC. If you're really worried, see your doctor for prescription applications that can help further.

I'm not sure I see the relationship of your friends cancelling and potential motion sickness unless you're looking for a reason to cancel yourselves, not feeling comfortable sailing without them.

I can sure see that too if it's the case; you've made all your plans with them in mind.

If that's so is it too late to reschedule this? You're probably pretty close on time to make final payment and I'd be sure it's what you want to do before it's made.

Otherwise I'm confident that you should be able to get over this an other popular misconceptions and have a fabulous cruise on a ship that's just made for a wonderful vacation.

Here's more that might be of benefit:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/misconceptions

ok i know that my post was vague

but they canceled that is not our problem we can go alone, but the more my husband is thinking the more nervous he gets he just recently had this incident on the fidhing boat,

but anyway

i am just nervous myself

our first cruise and i hope and want to love it

hard to explain i suppose i just need to bite the bullett call give my final payment which is due on thursday :)

but from all of your help and suggestions i say we are just going to GO FOR IT :)

what the heck you only live once right we hate it we do not go again we love it we book for next year LOL

thank you so much for all your help i am sure as we get closer i will have a ton more questions :)

As Donna just wrote "Tell him to stop thinking " My husband never wanted to be on any boat anywhere near water I talked him into Alaska. Waters were rough but we were just fine. He was a little queasy on a floatplane in Alaska but never on the ship.Do not compare a fishing boat with a ship that stands 14 stories high! Is there any way that you can show him one of these gigantic ships in port. He will immediately feel better about it.

Go and have a ball.

I was always scared to cruise because of my motion sickness. I finally gave in and went on my first cruise in 11/2001. Armed with boxes of Bonine we arrived in Miami a day early to be greeted by Hurricane warnings. To make a long story short we were sailing during a category 4 Hurricane and the ship was rocking. When I started to feel as though I was losing it, which wasn't often, I would take another Bonine and drink Gingerale. It worked for me and I have been on 4 other cruises since then.

The captain did reverse our itinery to avoid as much bad weather as possibe. The following November I cruised again and the weather was fine.

Go and enjoy yourself. You'll be fine.

You only need to experience it once to remember it for a life time. The time I did experience sea sickness, it was because I was not prepared. I swore I would never cruise again. Anyway, after hearing so many people had the "ear patch", I got brave and decided to try it also. It worked! Had a wonderful second cruise and now I'm looking forward to my 3rd. cruise this October. The patch should be applied 3 hours before boarding the ship. Just make a call to your family doctor and ask him to call in the prescription in to your local pharmacy. It will save a trip to the doctors office.

Now, go and enjoy that cruise:)

Regina

and get every remedy people have suggested that will help with seasickness and tell your husband that you have every seasickness anecdote known to men.

Dramamine

Bonine

Patch

Sea bands

Ginger Altoids

Just make sure he gets a good night sleep the night before he cruises. Lack of sleep can contribute to a more exaggerated motion sickness.

Don't cancel your trip at all. Both of you will enjoy it tremendously.

HTH.

Archived