PRINSENDAM - July 08 N. Fjords/Greenland/Iceland - advice.....

2ladies

Anyone been on a cruise to Greenland or Iceland? Are there icebergs, whales etc.? Will it be very cold in July?

This sounds a very interesting and different itinerary and I am inclined to book now. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks.

Anyone been on a cruise to Greenland or Iceland? Are there icebergs, whales etc.? Will it be very cold in July?

This sounds a very interesting and different itinerary and I am inclined to book now. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks.

We were in Greenland and iceland in 2003 and then back to Iceland in 2004 on the Rotterdam, I can post a link to the our pictures if you like.

We were in 40 degree weather in mid July in Qaqortoq Greenland. Iceland was slightly warmer the first time but snowy the second time in June 2004. The shops onboard ran out of sweatshirts. Some folks didn't even have socks. The security chief brought hot chocolate to the tender dock in Qaqortoq.

GN

We did a trans-Atlantic, 8-98, on the late great Royal Princess, Dover to New York City, with stops in Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland.

We didn't see any whales, but we did see a lot of smaller icebergs, and did sail over Titanic's resting place.

All in all, a very good cruise. It was surprisingly warm in Iceland, chilly in Greenland, and very very foggy in Newfoundland.

I've been there many times. If you tell me your ports I might be of more help.

If you're going to northern Iceland you will see a very different landscape than southern.

In Greenland, Qaqortoq may have an itty iceberg or two, Nuuk shouldn't. Other Greenland ports very well may have lots of them. You should see glaciers in Prins Cristian Sound, and a few icebergs at the easterly end.

"Cold" is a movable temperature. What's cold to you might be quite warm to me. I suggest you take a flat-knit sweater, sweatshirt, and wind-breaker. Then you can layer them as much/little as you need. Bring gloves! And a hat if you tend to feel cold.

I've been in and out of lots of Norwegian fjords, too. Again, tell me your ports and I can elaborate more.

0 Dover (London) England 5:00 pm

1 At Sea

2 Oslo, Norway 10:00 am 5:30 pm

3 Kristiansand, Norway 8:00 am 5:00 pm

4 Bergen, Norway 8:00 am 5:00 pm

5 Alesund, Norway 8:00 am 5:00 pm

6 At Sea

7 At Sea

8 Akureyri, Iceland 8:00 am 6:00 pm

9 Isafjord, Iceland Noon 6:00 pm

10 At Sea

11 At Sea

12 Qaqortoq, Greenland 8:00 am 2:00 pm

13 Nuuk, Greenland Noon 6:00 pm

14 At Sea

15 At Sea

16 Reykjavik, Iceland 10:00 am 5:00 pm

17 At Sea

18 Lerwick, Shetland Islands 10:00 am 5:00 pm

19 Leith (Edinburgh) Scotland 10:00 am 11:00 pm

20 At Sea 21 Amsterdam, Netherlands 7:00 am

Thank you for all your help guys - the above is the itinerary!! Been to Oslo, Bergen and Alesund - the rest is a mystery tour!! We are from England, so dressing for the cold isn't a problem for us - layer, layer, layer. And a 'puffa' in case, of course!!! Extraordinary difference in Iceland and Greenland temps though, it seems.

OK - let's have it!! Need an itty bitty iceberg and maybe a whale or two - pulease!!:D :D

The itinerary list helps. :) Based on that I'd say clothing that's been posted for cooler climes is sufficient. You will also need something for warmer temps, as that's a real possibility in some of the ports. T-shirts replacing the sweatshirts, and maybe a sundress or two will be more than enough.

As far as icebergs goes, my guess is your best shot is the harbor in Qaqortoq. By July most everything else will be melted. Is there scenic cruising of Prins Cristian Sound to get over there? Seems that would be the best route. As I said before, there's icebergs there---even in July. Not to mention the most forlorn little village I have ever seen. Living there has to be some sort of punishment for wrongdoing in this life (or a prior one:rolleyes: ).

There's a boat tour out of Kristiansand that might (I said might) get you a glimpse of a whale or two. No guarantees. There also might be some at the entrance to Prins Cristian Sound.

Anything else?

Thanks so much - when I get on board I will send the Captain a message about my wish to see icebergs and whales!!:D Might help - who knows?:eek:

Can't think of anything else really - just sounds an interesting itinerary and I can only hope that they don't sell the ship before then!!

Once again, thanks very much - most helpful!!

Archived