E Docs

denlyd

Has anyone used the E Docs feature on NCL's site?

I printed out what appears to be the regular documents that I had always received in the past via my travel agent.

My question is do you still receive a package from NCL even though I used edocs?

My concern is the Luggage Tags and will edocs be accepted for boarding.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Dennis

I printed out my edocs also. Since I used a TA, NCL sent a 'package' containing shore excursion info, a welcome aboard booklet, and eight airline type sticky luggage tags printed with cabin #, name, etc. to her. My TA also printed out the edocs, so now I have two complete sets. That's all we need to board.

The printed edocs work fine.

Also, print out your registration forms and bring them with you.

My last cruise, I only booked one month out. I did receive the package a few days before sailing with the luggage tags, shore excursions, welcome aboard. No tickets so you must bring your edocs.

Have a great cruise:)

I called my TA and NCL and they said they had done away with paper to be more "green".

Ha! Ha! LOL!

Okay, maybe a little green, in their pocketbooks. It cost's alot of money to send all that stuff out.

Personally, I think it is fine. After all, the airlines have done it for some 10 years or so. No tickee!

As others have posted, you really do not need them to board the ship anyway.

We were told by Norwegian that we didn't have a choice. All docs will be edocs from now on. All I can say is, "How cheap! You spend over $2000 for a cruise for 2 and they can't even give you decent luggage tags." Sheeesh! We'd all better make SURE we have a good solid tag with our name, address, etc on the bag, so that we can identify it after the Samsonite gorilla rips it off! Actually, a TA friend of mine had a good idea: Put two tags on each suitcase - one on the top handle and one on the side. This way, you have a better chance of one tag making it, if one gets torn off.

We were told by Norwegian that we didn't have a choice. All docs will be edocs from now on. All I can say is, "How cheap! You spend over $2000 for a cruise for 2 and they can't even give you decent luggage tags." Sheeesh! We'd all better make SURE we have a good solid tag with our name, address, etc on the bag, so that we can identify it after the Samsonite gorilla rips it off! Actually, a TA friend of mine had a good idea: Put two tags on each suitcase - one on the top handle and one on the side. This way, you have a better chance of one tag making it, if one gets torn off.

relax.

you'll get your luggage tags with your names and cabin number printed on it. it will come in the mail with your welcome aboard/shore excursion package. you can't fault a company trying to find innovative ways to continue with good service to their pax while at the same time being environmentally conscious. the only way they will know if something works is by our comments.

I called my TA and NCL and they said they had done away with paper to be more "green".

That's not entirely true. Here's what NCL is doing.

From http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_042607

Relative sentences:

For reservations that are paid in full and finalized, e-documents will be available up to 60 days prior to sailing.

NCL’s e-documents include a welcome aboard letter, cruise ticket, passenger terms and conditions, airline e-ticket if air travel arrangements have been made through NCL’s air/sea program, pre- or post-cruise hotel vouchers (if applicable), pre- or post-cruise transfer vouchers (if applicable) and electronic luggage tags which are printable online.

In advance of the e-documents, travel partners or guests with paid reservations will receive a new pre-documentation Freestyle Cruising Kit in the mail approximately 75 to 21 days prior to their scheduled sailing.

This kit includes a personalized welcome letter, NCL’s welcome aboard booklet that answers questions they may have prior to their cruise, a shore excursion order form and booklet, personalized luggage tags and travel protection plan details, if applicable.

“We’ve built this system to meet the needs of our travel partners,” said Crane Gladding, NCL’s vice president of passenger services. “We’ve made it as flexible as possible, so that travel partners can indicate their preferences for the delivery of the Freestyle Cruising Kit, as well as the e-documents.”

What does it mean? Only E-Docs will be available for those who book their cruise less than 21 days before embarkation. The Freesstyle Cruising Kit will be available for those booking their cruise before 21 days before embarkation. Whether or not you receive a Freestyle Cruising Kit depends upon your travel agent's preference.

I booked our cruise to Alaska leaving on Sunday, August 19 in January 2007 (4 cabins - 8 people) through my regular TA (who is very knowledgeable). Paid my final payment in June 2007. Now was just the waiting for tickets etc. 2 weeks ago I went into see my TA and he hadn't received anything. We waited until last week and that is when the TA found out that they don't send out paper tickets anymore, everything is edocs. Well he didn't even receive the Freestyle Cruising Kit. NCL informed him that they don't send them out anymore. The website states that they do. I phoned NCL directly to ask this question and they informed me that they do send out the Kit. Don't know why I didn't receive it. Well the advice she gave me was to print off the luggage tags and attach those to the luggage. Pleeeeeaaaaasssssseeee. As soon as you tape or staple those luggage tags on, they are going to be ripped off as soon as another piece of luggage brushes it. I also made the comment that I guess I didn't book early enough or book more rooms. I guess this happens. I just wish it didn't happen to me.

I know there are numerous threads onn the subject, but my dh came up with an idea for the etags that worked. We never took the cardboard tags with the string that they give you for disembarkation off our suitcases from last year. So, we simply stapled the eluggage tag to the tag on the string. Then we covered with packing tape to be on the safe side. If you don't have the tags from last time, you can buy them at Staples or any office supply store.

What do you if you received an upsell shortly before sailing? I received luggage tags, but now they're wrong. Last time we booked so close to sailing that we never received tags in the mail so we waited until we got to the pier and used their color coded ones and filled everything in. Can I do that again this time?

• Administrators

On luggage tags, there are several choices:

1) you can wait until you get to the pier and use the cardboard ones there

2) I like the idea above about stapling the e-doc tags to a previous cardboard luggage tag

3) Print out the e-doc tags on card stock (heavier paper), and either have them laminated or do "fake" lamination with heavy packing tape.

We used choice 3, and then stapled them to our bags, and everything arrived in our cabin just fine.

Make sure you also have a small name/address tag on your luggage (you should have that anyway, at least if you are flying) -- then if for some reason your cruise tag is separated from the bag the staff can look up your name on the manifest to find your cabin number.

We printed ours out on sticker paper and they arrived safely to our cabin. I also heard that since I tag prints on a single sheet of paper, don't cut the tag out, just fold the paper so it that the tag part is visible and you'll have a nice sturdy tag.

Honestly IMO I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I could care less what kind of ticket or tag I get as long as I get on the ship. Again, just my opinion.

I'm all for the greening of America, but I think NCL is shifting the burden of printing documents on to the passenger. Eliminating nicely colored documents and paper from landfills is admirable. But as garycarla stated the green seems to be more towards NCL's pocketbooks. NCL seems to shifting their loss of generating paper documents onto the passenger by having us print out these documents instead of them. I'm all for diminishing the mounds of papers that need to printed, BUT, when I recently received my documents, it turns out that I printed 15 pages for three of us. This includes the edoc's and the advanced registration forms. Since most printers do not have the capacity to print double sided pages, it seems to me a waste of paper. And I'm sure most of these documents end up being thrown in the trash and not recycled, by NVL and most of us.

So, emailing my documents is a good step to help eliminate some of their costs, but it doesn't solve the problem of generating the waste of my paper.

I'm confident they will find a way to improve their system so as to eliminate much of everyones waste of paper, but I still want my sturdy luggage tags.

I just got off the phone with the docuemntation dept at ncl and the person that answered the phone said you haven't printed your edocs and you are leaving tomorrow? I told her it was the last thing I was going to do before leaving today and that the ncl site had nothing on it referring to an upgrade this weekend. She didn't have an answer and had to put me on hold to get one. I was then assured that we can get them at the pier when we check in. We are taking all our paperwork, i.e. ta paperwork showing our reservations, our shore excursions that were booked through ncl. Hoping it's not too much of a hassle at check in. Off to Alaska we go!

relax.

you'll get your luggage tags with your names and cabin number printed on it. it will come in the mail with your welcome aboard/shore excursion package. you can't fault a company trying to find innovative ways to continue with good service to their pax while at the same time being environmentally conscious. the only way they will know if something works is by our comments.

I don't understand "... while at the same time being environmentally conscious". So either they (cruise line) prints them out or we do, what is the difference? Paper, etc, is being used either way! How does that equate to being environmentally conscious? I agree with another poster "More 'green' in the cruise line's pocket."

Archived