airline changes because of hurricane?

shimmerini

We are traveling with Southwest airlines. I have read that with hurricanes, sometimes you have an added day or two. Has this happened to anyone with airline tickets and how did you go about changing flight reservations if you disembark a day or two later?

So it sounds like your air is not booked through the cruise line (like many of us).. so here is what you would need to do:

1. You bought trip insurance, call them and ask if they will cover change fees. You did buy trip insurance, didn't you?

2. Going there: plead your case and ask for a flight change, if seats are available, or else go and get a hotel.

3. If the storm affects the flights then you go with what they can do to reaccommodate, and hop they can still get you there on time given available flights and seats

4. Coming home - call the airline as soon as you can, this is a good reason to have a cell phone on the ship now. Ask if they can reaccomodate you.

In any event you may be asked to pay change fees... depends on the impact and how generous the airline is feeling.

Here is a link that shows what AA did for those affected by Flossie

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml;jsessionid=WHQ3VXEDFLU0VEAJJNHSKMUQBFFUGVMD?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16018133&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

Basically there were no change fees. That pretty standard for most airlines during Hurricanes and Storms. They have a window where you can change flights one time without penalty.

We have southwest booked and 2 years ago, we were on the Gulf coast, flew home the DAY before Hurricane Katrina went over the area... this was our planned day home. But before I left, there were rumors of this storm so I called southwest first. They said they do make arrangements for hurricanes (those flying away from one or those flying into one) and normally dont charge a change fee. Now, this was 2 years ago so I am hoping they havent changed

This is exactly why I booked my air with Princess. I knew it was hurricane season, and if you can't get on the plane, you definitely can't get on the ship. I wanted to make sure everything was paid at one time.

I had booked air and hotel separate two years ago, and Hurricane Wilma hit. It was a total nightmare trying to work with two different sites to re-book and find another place to go. I swore never again. Because the price was so cheap on my upcoming cruise I booked it. But I also booked air and insurance through Princess. At least I know I'll only have to haggle one place if anything gets canceled.

Normally I would book air separate from a cruise, but given the region and time of year, I knew there was a risk. Good luck to all of us sailing the next few months!

Two years ago I was scheduled to sail from New Orleans in early December of 2005. After Katrina hit, our cruise itinerary changed to a ship sailing out of Miami and our airline agreed to change our itinerary without additional change fees. This was not cruiseline booked air, but self booked. Most of the airlines had no change fee policies after Katrina for several months. Should you be similarly affected, call your TA or call the airline to plead your case. You'll likely get to change your air itinerary without any additional penalty.

We are traveling with Southwest airlines. I have read that with hurricanes, sometimes you have an added day or two. Has this happened to anyone with airline tickets and how did you go about changing flight reservations if you disembark a day or two later?

I'm worried about our flight home too. We're flying into Fort Myers a few days before our cruise to visit family, and planned on driving to Tampa for embarkation, but we had also planned on flying OUT of Tampa the day of disembarkation.

If the itinerary gets changed to the Eastern Caribbean, then I'm worried we'll have to depart out of Miami and I don't know if Southwest is going to charge us to change our flights. That would completely bust our vacation budget (we're moving into a new home the day we come back.) We'd probably have to cancel the whole trip.

And no, I did not buy the vacation insurance (go ahead and berate me for it.) This is our first cruise and Hurricanes never really occured to me. I was just trying to get us an affordable vacation when it was most convenient for us to go. The other boards say I'm "stupid" for booking during Hurricane season at all. I guess you live and learn.

With Southwest, they are one of the few airlines that allow you to cancel and rebook without a change fee. As with all airlines, you do pay the going price for the new ticket; but Southwest often allows rebooking at no increased fee if the original flights were cancelled.

You do need to call or go online to cancel before the departure time of your flight or you will be a no-show; Southwest can waive this in hurricane situations or other severe weather conditions, but be sure to go online to see what the status is first. You can check the website from the ship if you know you will be delayed. And often the ship will provide free internet for 30 minutes for those who need to make alternate plans.

If the itinerary gets changed to the Eastern Caribbean, then I'm worried we'll have to depart out of Miami and I don't know if Southwest is going to charge us to change our flights.
If the cruise itinerary is RT out of Tampa, the cruiseline will get you back to Tampa regardless of the changed route. If they cannot cruise back to Tampa, they will bus you back to the port. The only way you would have to leave out of Miami is if you chose to go there yourself. P.S. Southwest does not fly out of Miami, but the do fly out of FLL. See also my above comment re: changing flights on Southwest.

If the cruise itinerary is RT out of Tampa, the cruiseline will get you back to Tampa regardless of the changed route. If they cannot cruise back to Tampa, they will bus you back to the port. The only way you would have to leave out of Miami is if you chose to go there yourself. P.S. Southwest does not fly out of Miami, but the do fly out of FLL. See also my above comment re: changing flights on Southwest.

Oh! Thanks so much for the information. That makes me feel better. I just read somewhere else about the cruiseline bussing you back to your original port.

I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Archived