Oriana...time of death?

I know that ORIANA was sent from her Chinese hellhole dock a year or two ago Alang-bound...but never saw any "final" update. Assuming she's all gone now, but when was it done?

As Queen said, "Another one bites the dust"...

I know that ORIANA was sent from her Chinese hellhole dock a year or two ago Alang-bound...but never saw any "final" update. Assuming she's all gone now, but when was it done?

As Queen said, "Another one bites the dust"...

Oriana was towed to the Vayou scrap yard in Zhangiagang, China, on 13th May, 2005 & scrapped (in China, not Alang).

www.maritimematters.com is a great resource for such information.

Have you tried the 'new' Oriana yet?

Either www.maritimematters.com or www.ssmaritime.com had some photos of her being scrapped.

Very sad - in her day she was a beauty. I sailed on her twice, 9-64 and 12-70.

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder! I dont doubt that she was a wonderful ship; historical, comfortable & nice to sail on. However, I do feel that I have to say that, for me, she was not a good looking ship. Her hull shape, the open after deck areas, her superstructure & her funnel, all came together to give a rather ungainly appearance. I propose that she was a lovable 'ugly duckling'! Am I on thin ice here?!

GET READY, TAKE AIM......FIRE!!!

"eyes of the beholder" as you said. She was not as good looking as her running mate Canberra, but there was something about Oriana. . . . . . .

Perhaps I feel as I do as she was the 1st ship I sailed on, many moons ago.

I agree with bcscot - I have always found her to be a rather unattractive ship. I know many people who would vehemently disagree with that, but I really don't get the appeal of her external appearance. Just too "different" for me I guess!

Mind you, I am talking about exteriors here. Inside... Gorgeous! Most people I know who sailed in both preferred ORIANA to CANBERRA and indeed, most people I know consider her the finest trans-Pacific liner ever built. And I am not inclined to disagree with that.

But external appearance, I'm afraid, is not one of her strong points for me, though I do think she looked better with Orient Line's corn colored hull rather than P&O's white.

Now, here are some great interior photos (sadly undated) - IMHO the interiors compensated for the unattractive exterior!

HI GANG!!!

I was always intriqued with the ORIANA and her design. I think those promenade decks on her stern were to protect the pax from the elements. That is one ship I had wished I had sailed on. I remember toying with the Mediterranean brochures back in the 70's. I really wanted to try ORIANA...even more than CANBERRA. I also missed the CANBERRA...she did a Transatlantic from New York to Southampton one time and they were selling cabins for $300 per person!!! I could not get the time off to do it...:(

ROSS

Archived