Heading to Jamacia, Cayman, Mexico 8/19 whats in-store?

lilbert

and she rattled off several other ships that have changed iten and that ours probably will and we might know more today or tomorrow. She didnt know. Sounds like they are thinking our path might get blasted, which is what we are all seeing, and she said that most ships are going east. So, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Freeport etc...

So, I dont have any more information other that our ship will probably change course and am hoping Galveston doesnt get hit while we are out!

But will Jamaica be able to have ships there and visiting on Wed after getting hit on Sunday, at this point it looks like dead on, with what is becoming a stronger storm?

Now how would anyone know how hard Jamaica is going to be hit......how can anyone give you an answer to this question!

Hey Everyone, I know this wont answer all your questions but here is the info I have so far

Carnival Legend Aug 19th cruse from Tampa

DATE: PORT: ARR: DEP:

SUN 08/19/07 TAMPA 08:00AM 04:00PM

MON 08/20/07 KEY WEST 10:00AM 04:00PM

TUE 08/21/07 NASSAU 10:00AM 07:00PM

WED 08/22/07 HALF MOON CAYE 07:00AM 03:30PM

THU 08/23/07 GRAND TURK 10:00AM 06:00PM

FRI 08/24/07 AT SEA

SAT 08/25/07 AT SEA

SUN 08/26/07 TAMPA 08:00AM 04:00PM

Imagination Aug 18th sailing from miami

DATE: PORT: ARR: DEP:

SAT 08/18/07 MIAMI 07:35AM 04:00PM

SUN 08/19/07 AT SEA

MON 08/20/07 GRAND TURK 07:00AM 02:30PM

TUE 08/21/07 HALF MOON CAYE 09:30AM 06:00PM

WED 08/22/07 NASSAU 07:00AM 05:00PM

THU 08/23/07 MIAMI 08:00AM 04:00PM

Inspiration Aug 18th sailing from Tampa

SAT 08/18/07 TAMPA 08:00AM 04:00PM

SUN 08/19/07 AT SEA

MON 08/20/07 NASSAU 08:00AM 07:00PM

TUE 08/21/07 FREEPORT 08:00AM 05:00PM

WED 08/22/07 AT SEA

THU 08/23/07 TAMPA 08:00AM 04:00PM

happy crusing

When Wilma came in we were notified Friday evening that we would go out early on Sunday and that our itinerary would be changed. I called on Thursday and Carnival could not tell me anything. They advised me to give them the number I would be at while traveling to port. Thus the call on my cell. They make every effort to get you on a cruise somewhere. Any day on a ship is a much better day than on land!

Unless that is ALL you do for 5 days like we did!!

Few years ago, hurricaine Isadore chased us around the gulf and all we got to do was bob around like a buoy for 5 days and use up all the barf bags.

Carnival refused to cancel the cruise or give refunds to us for not making it to ANY ports.

I will NEVER book a cruise during hurricaine season again.

Good luck to you all!!

Now how would anyone know how hard Jamaica is going to be hit......how can anyone give you an answer to this question!

Huh? Right now there is a hurricane heading directly to it. If it stays on that path, they are saying it could be cat 3 or 4 hurricane when it hits, which would probably be pretty destructive. So, if a Cat 4 hurricane hits Jamaica, can they recover that fast even if the weather on the day we are set to be in port is blue skies and clear. I dont know how quick these islands recover. If it was a Cat 1 hurricane, I would assume it would be open sooner.

So, my question was, even if the hurricane is gone and weather is nice, the port might be destroyed. So, from what people know, how quick do these islands recover and reopen for visitors after a storm like this. Didnt think it was that off the wall of a question.

Now see!

What is so hard about this?

Thanks member!

What about the Conquest? We head out right into Dean!

Yeah, that was my question, the gal at carnival was like, yeah, looks like Dean wants to go on your vacation. So, why we havent been rerouted yet, i guess they are saving us for last :)

Yeah, that was my question, the gal at carnival was like, yeah, looks like Dean wants to go on your vacation. So, why we havent been rerouted yet, i guess they are saving us for last :)

Sounds like we have the same questions!

Im with you! Why would I want to go an island destroyed by a hurricane, I can stay home here in Texas and see that crap!

It just seems to be a no-brainer to re-route us ASAP!

Huh? Right now there is a hurricane heading directly to it. If it stays on that path, they are saying it could be cat 3 or 4 hurricane when it hits, which would probably be pretty destructive. So, if a Cat 4 hurricane hits Jamaica, can they recover that fast even if the weather on the day we are set to be in port is blue skies and clear. I dont know how quick these islands recover. If it was a Cat 1 hurricane, I would assume it would be open sooner.

So, my question was, even if the hurricane is gone and weather is nice, the port might be destroyed. So, from what people know, how quick do these islands recover and reopen for visitors after a storm like this. Didnt think it was that off the wall of a question.

It just depends on where and how the island is hit. Since they depend on tourism they will do all they can to get the island up and running.

But then the issue becomes how fast is too fast. Some pax visited Coz after it was hit and described it as a war zone.

It almost like asking how soon can you drive your car after an accident. It would depend on if you were going 20mph or 65mph..if you got hit on the side or head on.. Just so many variable to consider.

Ok heres my point!

We leave Galveston on Sunday!

Jamacia is due to get hit on Sunday! Then on to Cayman and into Cozumel!

We are headed head on into Dean!

Doesnt it make sense to re-route this cruise before some of the others 1st?

It just depends on where and how the island is hit. Since they depend on tourism they will do all they can to get the island up and running.

But then the issue becomes how fast is too fast. Some pax visited Coz after it was hit and described it as a war zone.

It almost like asking how soon can you drive your car after an accident. It would depend on if you were going 20mph or 65mph..if you got hit on the side or head on.. Just so many variable to consider.

Thanks! Thats makes sense! Hope we know something soon.

Hey, thanks for the heads up -- my fault entirely and I've changed Destiny's blurb to read Sunday. Thank you !!!

Someone asked how often we'll be posting updates. We're readying one now -- a big one, LOTS OF CHANGES, and will be making them as changes come in. We'll note the time every time we change the item so you can tell when it's new. It'll be on our home page, on Today On Cruise Critic, and we'll be on duty throughout the weekend as necessary.

Feel free to let me know whenever we mess up. We try really hard, natch, to get it right but occasionally we're, alas, human....

(send any bloopers to us at feedback@cruisecritic.com and editor@cruisecritic.com).

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

C

Wonder how accurate that is since Destiny sails out of San Juan Sunday to Sunday, not Saturday.:confused: I couldnt find this info anywhere on the Carnival site as of 2:30pm EST.

Carnival has already altered itineraries on two ships sailing in the Caribbean this week. The San Juan-based Carnival Destiny will still visit St. Lucia today -- but will bypass Antigua and swap sea days. That means tomorrow the ship will chug its way north, to Tortola, its new Friday port-of-call. The cruise will wind up in San Juan on Saturday as scheduled

Hey, thanks for the heads up -- my fault entirely and I've changed Destiny's blurb to read Sunday. Thank you !!!

Feel free to let me know whenever we mess up. We try really hard, natch, to get it right but occasionally we're, alas, human....

(send any bloopers to us at feedback@cruisecritic.com and editor@cruisecritic.com).

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

C

Thanks for the updates! I know we truly appreciate the great information provided on this board!! Keep up the good work!!!

We leave Galveston on Sunday bound for Jamacia, we will be going right into " Dean". Our POC are Jamacia (wed) Caymans (thur) Cozumel (fri) I think it may be a mess by then!

Ohhhhhh, now I see said the blind man to the deaf man. duuh. I was thinking if you are leaving from Florida Sunday to Jamaica you wouldnt be hurt...but leaving from Galveston...ouch. That is going to be dicey indeed to go along our coastline and get past the hurricane and on the back side of the hurricane.

Jamaica should be ok, but I wouldnt count on Cozumel, depending on the day you are supposed to be there of course. Jamaica is south and a little east of Florida, so the hurricane will be well past there by sunday, unless it does a U turn. Good thing you will be gone a whole week and dont have to head back until after the hurricane is supposed to have gone ashore either Mexico or Texas. They are still saying it could easily be pulled more north into Texas by a low pressure system which is heading west.

when I say ok, I dont mean it wouldnt get hit, before someone corrects me....I meant the ship will be ok and might be able to pull into the port or tender by then...i was not talking about how Jamaica will survive the hit...I feel sorry for them.

the hurricane slowed down from 23 to 21 mph, so its moving a tad slower and gathering strength, watching the weather station.

I do not think that there is anyway Jamacia could recover from a major storm in just a few days. Both times we were there it looked like like poverty central. The Conquest could not make it to the eastern carrb. and back in 7days. It might could go to Key West and to the Bahamas. We have been lucky so far. We have been on six cruises, all in the summer, and have never had bad weather. Best of luck to everyone sailing next week in the western carrib. You can still make it a good time.

It's called forecasting. This model is supposed to be very accurate. Lousy time to do Western Carib.:(

Ok you're missing my point......the original post asked..will a ship be able to go to Jamacia.....Now how in the hell is anyone supposed to answer whether a ship will be able to dock or not?? I know all about the hurricane....I know what forcasting is.....read the whole thread before you jump on someone...

Looking at the 1pm tracking map I don't see where Conquest can go that won't put it in the path of the storm unless it comes out of Galveston turns east and hugs the US coastline. Can you say cruise to NOLA and Mobile?

The gulf itself will probably quiet down by Friday or Sat but doubt any ports will be in shape to receive visitors.

Looking at the 1pm tracking map I don't see where Conquest can go that won't put it in the path of the storm unless it comes out of Galveston turns east and hugs the US coastline. Can you say cruise to NOLA and Mobile?

The gulf itself will probably quiet down by Friday or Sat but doubt any ports will be in shape to receive visitors.

I see you were on the Jubilee in Sept 2002 ...... was it during hurricaine Isadore on the 20th ?:confused:

We have been watching that, but if you notice there is nothing about the Conquest! thats the one Im worried about!

In fairness to Carnival, they do say "Carnival Conquest August 19 departure - Itinerary changes may be required and additional information will be provided at a later time. "

We have sailed Conquest twice. If we were booked on the 8-19 sailing we would be itching for information also. Looking at the current track for Dean it is obvious that the standard route for Conquest is not doable so it will sail a different route. What that route will be will depend on the storm. You may not find out until you check in Sunday. Please try to relax, you will be safe and have a great time where ever you go.:)

Archived