New York Question

woodmill100

It will be cheaper for us to fly back from Vancouver through New York on our way back from Alaska next year. This will mean an extra night in New York (will have spent enough time there before our cruise) so, should we book a hotel at the airport or come back into the city or something else?

Our flight from Vancouver arrives at 2300 but our flight back to the UK does not depart until 22.00 the next evening so we wonder what we should do for this additional day.

It will be cheaper for us to fly back from Vancouver through New York on our way back from Alaska next year. This will mean an extra night in New York (will have spent enough time there before our cruise) so, should we book a hotel at the airport or come back into the city or something else?

Our flight from Vancouver arrives at 2300 but our flight back to the UK does not depart until 22.00 the next evening so we wonder what we should do for this additional day.

woodmill, what time of year? Hotel costs in Manhattan can range from $150 per night to $500 for the same moderate hotel room.

Also, you must include transportation costs to and from Manhattan should you choose to stay there.

It also depends on how tired you think you will be. By "enough time" prior to your vacation, you might see most of what you want. By the end of your vacation, you might be so tired that you will want a day to "crash". I agree with BlueHerons, see what the difference in cost is. It can be a difference of quite a few hundred dollars to stay in Manhattan with hotel and transportation cost vs. staying at a hotel by the airport. Just realize that staying by the airport it will be just a place to sleep.

Which airport???

The hotels around JFK are mostly disgusting (except for the Doubletree, which is just OK). The hotels around La Guardia are decent-the Crowne is pretty nice and the Marriott has great views of the runways.

Most likely, you will need a hotel around JFK, as you are flying internationally the next day.

Plan on spending at least $200.00 for a decent hotel around JFK, unless you use Priceline. You can usually get a JFK hotel on Priceline for around $90.00. You could always rent a car for the day-go to Coney Island, Brighton Beach, drive out to Riverhead or the Hamptons. Here's some ideas to occupy a day http://www.coneyisland.com/

The New York aquarium is also in Coney Island. You can get a taxi to Coney Island, instead of the rental. There are supposed to be a lot of changes to Coney Island in the next few years, so find out what is still operating before you make plans to spend the day there. Enjoy!!!

OOoh forgot to check which airports and now I have it's not great! We fly from Vancouver to JFK and from Newark to Edinburgh :(

I have sort of now answered my own question and I think it will be a City hotel for the night (what's left of it). Thanks for your help.

For anyone else who wants to be near JFK, I like this one, which is $99 a night, and has a shuttle to the airport (about 25 mins away) Sunrise Executive Hotel, 1 Sunrise Hwy, Lynbrook, NY, 516.593.1600. The train can also take you to NY and another at the same station to Newark.

OOoh forgot to check which airports and now I have it's not great! We fly from Vancouver to JFK and from Newark to Edinburgh :(

I have sort of now answered my own question and I think it will be a City hotel for the night (what's left of it). Thanks for your help.

WOW, what a trek. Good luck.

Archived