Costco Travel Insurance

IndigoFairy

I am looking into travel insurance, something with which I have no experience, and I am looking for some guidance. Specifically, I found that Costco has a "Passenger Protection Plan" that is very inexpensive. Have any of you taken this plan before or know anything about it?

Thanks for your help!

The one they quoted me was for medical for $15 pp on Conquest. Cant beat the rate and if you take it out 7 days from when you book or transfer a cruise to them its like a new policy and covers pre-existing. Cant beat the rate.

I transferred all my Carnival bookings to them, saved about $118.xx I think and I booked the least expensive categories that TAs dont always like to deal with. They do discount Carnival. For others they give other incentives which are nice. Some got a $250 Costco gift card per cabin when they booked disney last month. sweet.

Note the insurance is not a cancel for any reason type of insurance plan.

Couple of things I noticed:

1. the Evacuation/Repatriation limit of $50,000 - I don't think this is enough.
  2. Primary or Secondary coverage - I couldn't find where it said either way, I buy primary insurance.
  3. I couldn't find an exact price, it says from $27 pp. Guess you have to talk to the Costco TA for an exact amount.

For our upcoming and previous cruise, I bought our insurance thru USAA. It is from a company listed on insuremytrip but with a slightly better policy and price than the insuremytrip one. USAA does require membership in its organization though, so not everyone can buy thru them.

Have you looked at insuremytrip.com? What is the actual cost for the Costco policy and a similar policy thru insuremytrip, for your cruise?

I think costco provides the insurance not thru a secondary company. As i said the $15 quote was for cheapie cruises, $269, $269, $449 pp.

I got a higher quote for insurance on a cruise that was $599 and $699.

We were just looking for medical to cover diabetes. The PVP told my friend she would be covered if she waited to get insurance until final payment. She said she didnt think diabetes was a pre existing condition. I think she is wrong so started to look around. Costco will provide what we need if my friend has a flare up. She doesnt go ashore at any of the ports, she is on a walker, she just wanted to be covered if she has to see the medic on board, so medical is fine with us.

So, Im sure it depends on what you are looking for, its doubtfull someone who doesnt go ashore will need to be airlifted, but we are taking the chance even if only $50K coverage.

The big deal with Costco is if you transfer the booking to them it's treated like a brand new booking with brand new insurance policy. So my friend can wait until almost final payment and still be covered for pre-existing...thats all we needed. only 2 policies on insuremytrip have pre existing coverage if you get the policy later on.

I think costco provides the insurance not thru a secondary company. the medic on board, so medical is fine with us.

It's from BerkleyCare -- the same folks who provide the insurance marketed by almost all of the cruise lines. They offer middle-of-the-road policies. There's nothing really wrong with them and there's nothing usually great about them either. One difference between this plan and the cruise line plans is that you can get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions if you buy the policy no later than the final payment date. That's always a nice benefit.

Primary vs Secondary refers to the order in which a claim is paid, not who a policy is purchased from (agent, reseller, etc.).

With a secondary policy, you would need to first submit the claim to any/all insurance companies (ie. work health ins., independent policy, etc) prior to submitting to the policy purchased for the cruise.

Primary policies are the first (and only) company you submit claims to. No muss, no fuss, no hassle. No waiting for your health ins to approve/deny the claims and then submitting to the cruise purchased policy. Primary policies, IMO, would be quicker payouts with less aggrevation and frustration (I've never filed a claim, so have no first hand knowledge). Thus, my preference is Primary policies.

I am so glad i saw this thead. Back when i booked my panama canal cruise last sept for this coming april i purchased the travel insur offered by costco. I just called Berkley care and they are NOT primary. I am going to be out of the country and my health insur does not cover. They told me that i would first have to bill them,. get a denial, and then Berkely would pay. Which means no payment would be guaranteed to any facility that i would be taken to. Most require thousands of dollars in deposit. I do not want that hassle as i work with medical insur and know what a nightmare this can be. They did not want to refund me on my policy but after a supervisor over rided it they did. Thankyou all. Off i go to purchase new PRIMARY insurance. I won't be able to get the preexisiting waiver but at least i will have peace of mind.:D

We were just looking for medical to cover diabetes. The PVP told my friend she would be covered if she waited to get insurance until final payment. She said she didnt think diabetes was a pre existing condition. I think she is wrong so started to look around. Costco will provide what we need if my friend has a flare up. She doesnt go ashore at any of the ports, she is on a walker, she just wanted to be covered if she has to see the medic on board, so medical is fine with us.

So, Im sure it depends on what you are looking for, its doubtfull someone who doesnt go ashore will need to be airlifted, but we are taking the chance even if only $50K coverage.

What kind of primary insurance does your friend have??? BlueCross/Blue Shield or something similar or Medicare??? Do they cover out of the USA???

Medicare DOES NOT cover outside the USA. Some Medicare supplements do, but you usually have to add a rider to them. A majority of private insurance has NO coverage outside the USA.

If there is an incident on the ship that cannot be handled by the ship's doctor/medic, they will INSIST that you be airlifted to the closest suitable hospital.

Unless your friend is pretty well off, why would you take a chance with an inexpensive travel policy which does not have the best coverage and leave yourself open to 1000's of dollars in charges, which may NEVER be reimbursed. Please reconsider.

A few extra dollars now could well be the difference between financial stability and financial ruin.

PS-I use the Travelex Lite policy. Primary insurance AND the option to increase the medical to over $100,000 at a low price. For a three week, $10,000 trip for two people in their mid 50's-$443.00. That is a BARGAIN any way I look at it. One place to call, 24/7 service if I have a problem, and one claim to file. I have had to file trip interruption claims twice with Travelex. They have both been paid within 3 weeks of submitting the paperwork.

Which means no payment would be guaranteed to any facility that i would be taken to. Most require thousands of dollars in deposit. I do not want that hassle as i work with medical insur and know what a nightmare this can be.

The Costco plan DOES offer emergency medical payment assistance -- it's right there in the plan description. It's not a matter of a plan being "primary" or "secondary" in this regard. Some, like Costco's, and CSA, and TravelSafe are "secondary" and still provide that service.

Are you sure you don't need pre-existing medical condition coverage? Even involving non-traveling family members? The reason I ask is that I'd hate to give up the pre-existing condition coverage just to avoid filling out two sets of paperwork -- especially since the Costco plan will does have the emergency medical payment benefit also that you were concerned about. Be very sure you won't need that coverage before giving it up.

Also, there appears to be a discrepancy on the Costco web site regarding the pre-existing condition waiver. In the brochure itself it says the waiver is available if the policy is putchased by the final payment date. On another page it says if purchased within 7 days of the deposit. Both can't be right.

Primary vs Secondary refers to the order in which a claim is paid, not who a policy is purchased from (agent, reseller, etc.).

With a secondary policy, you would need to first submit the claim to any/all insurance companies (ie. work health ins., independent policy, etc) prior to submitting to the policy purchased for the cruise.

Primary policies are the first (and only) company you submit claims to. No muss, no fuss, no hassle. No waiting for your health ins to approve/deny the claims and then submitting to the cruise purchased policy. Primary policies, IMO, would be quicker payouts with less aggrevation and frustration (I've never filed a claim, so have no first hand knowledge). Thus, my preference is Primary policies.

Hi ,

Here's some more information on the difference between Primary and Secondary Medical Coverage as it relates to trip insurance:

Primary Medical Coverage means your medical bills are paid from the first dollar. No "coordination of benefit" claim forms need to be filed.

This works best if the medical claim's less than the coverage amount. That's because even though you had insurance pay for part of the claim, when the Primary benefits are exhausted, your other insurance won't consider any deductibles or co-pays to be satisfied.

For example, here's what happens if you have a $70,000 medical claim with a travel insurance plan that has $50,000 Primary coverage:

1) You submit the $70,000 medical claim to the travel insurance. It pays $50,000 (its maximum)

2) You submit the remaining $20,000 to your medical insurance plan. Let's say it has a $5,000 deductible with a 20% copay.

3) Of the remaining $20,000 your medical insurance plan will pay $12,000 and you will be liable for $8,000.

Secondary Medical Coverage means your medical bills are paid after any other coverage you have pays their share. This means that Secondary coverage will pay any deductibles, out-of-pocket expenses or co-pays up to its coverage limit.

Here's a little detail that's good to know: Secondary coverage assumes you have other coverage that's Primary. If you don't have other coverage Secondary becomes Primary.

Go to www.google.com and search for " Primary Secondary Medical Coverage ". You'll find some good information, too.

I hope this helps.

Always read the fine print about pre-existing conditions as well. I buy primary coverage for piece of mind. I did the same for my two adult children in their twenties. They are least likely to need it, but I don;t want to worry about it! :)

It all depends on what makes you comfortable.

Always read the fine print about pre-existing conditions as well. I buy primary coverage for piece of mind. I did the same for my two adult children in their twenties. They are least likely to need it, but I don;t want to worry about it! :)

It all depends on what makes you comfortable.

That's also why I like the pre-existing coverage. I'm healthy but don't need an issue to arise that someone might blame pre-existing. I am guessing that $50K is plenty for med evac, isn't it?

The Costco plan DOES offer emergency medical payment assistance -- it's right there in the plan description. It's not a matter of a plan being "primary" or "secondary" in this regard. Some, like Costco's, and CSA, and TravelSafe are "secondary" and still provide that service.

Are you sure you don't need pre-existing medical condition coverage? Even involving non-traveling family members? The reason I ask is that I'd hate to give up the pre-existing condition coverage just to avoid filling out two sets of paperwork -- especially since the Costco plan will does have the emergency medical payment benefit also that you were concerned about. Be very sure you won't need that coverage before giving it up.

Also, there appears to be a discrepancy on the Costco web site regarding the pre-existing condition waiver. In the brochure itself it says the waiver is available if the policy is putchased by the final payment date. On another page it says if purchased within 7 days of the deposit. Both can't be right.

cruiseco-what i mean is that since i have regular health insur which does not pay out of the country, that the costco policy which is secondary-will not guarantee payment up front to a hospital. YOU have to pay and then be reimbursed by the costco policy. I just read a post on one of the other threads where a man had secondary cause his primary did not cover. HE had to pay the whole bill before he was allowed to leave the country. His sons both had to do second mortgages on their homes and fly there to pay! Another person had to put $25,000 on a credit card before the evacuation transportation would take them. That is my point. Costco will reimburse eventually but YOU bear the financial burden until they do. We are not in a position to do that. I did cancel and will be purchasing a primary policy and will just have to take the chance that nothing happens to us or our family that would be considered pre-existing this time. Now I am more savy and this will not happen again.:)

cruiseco-what i mean is that since i have regular health insur which does not pay out of the country, that the costco policy which is secondary-will not guarantee payment up front to a hospital. YOU have to pay and then be reimbursed by the costco policy.

With ALL of the major third-party insurers out there -- "primary" or "secondary" -- payment is on a reimbursement basis. You have to pay for the medical services and then submit the documentation for reimbursement when you get home. The only difference is that with a "primary" plan you submit the documentation to them first.

When it comes to a situation where you do not have the resources to pay the hospital bill the insurer (if it includes an emergency medical payment benefit -- not all do)will:

1) Help you in getting your credit card limits raised

2) Help you arrange emergency loans from family or friends

3) If all alse fails they may advance the money to the hospital.

There are both "primary" and "ssecondary" plans which will do this for you. For example, this is from TravelSafe (a "secondary" plan"):

"Emergency Medical Payments

We will assist you in the advancement of funds or guarantee payments (up the policy limits) to a hospital or other medical provider, if required, to secure your admission, treatment or discharge."

Now compare this to Travelex (a "primary" insurer):

"Advance payment will be made to a Hospital, up to a maximum of $5,000, if needed to secure Your admission to a Hospital because of a covered Sickness or Injury which first occurs during the course of the Covered Trip."

The policy limit for medical with TravelSafe is $100,000. Which would you rather have? The "secondary" plan that is prepared to advance up to $100,000 or the "primary" plan that's prepared to advance up to $5000?

There are some "primary" insurers that do better. For example, this is from Travel Insured:

"The Insurer will advance payment to a Hospital, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services [$50,000], if needed to secure the Insured's admission to a Hospital because of Accidental Injury or Sickness."

So, if having the security of knowing that the insurer will step up to the plate in the event that you can't cover your hospital bill, it's more important to know exactly what the insurer will do -- and to what limit -- than to know whether it's "primary" or "secondary." Better a good "secondary" plan than a "primary" plan that caps the benefit at something like $5,000.

Archived