Sydney APEC Summit

Fires

For those who are coming to Sydney in the first 1 & 1/2 weeks of September, keep in mind that Sydney is hosting a summit which means some areas of the city will not be accessable i.e Opera House.

Here's the weblink for more info if you visiting, it might come in handy.

www.apec2007.org/

Terry

It looks like KAOS on the news

:)

Alot of people think it's going to be a mess and that's why many are leaving during the summit. Now that Bush wants to come earlier, it's going to make more of a mess as I don't imagine him spending alot of time in his hotel.

Terry

Alot of people think it's going to be a mess and that's why many are leaving during the summit. Now that Bush wants to come earlier, it's going to make more of a mess as I don't imagine him spending alot of time in his hotel.

Terry

Yes, its now being called Bush Week.:p I've got to try and get to work through it. I normally catch a ferry and then a bus from Circular Quay to Darlinghurst. But the buses will now be terminating in Martin Place, so I'll have to walk about 6 blocks to catch a bus which doesn't worry me so much its more just having to get up earlier:(

This article was in the paper today.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/dont-avoid-sydney-urge-hoteliers/2007/08/24/1187462483214.html

Yes, its now being called Bush Week.:p I've got to try and get to work through it. I normally catch a ferry and then a bus from Circular Quay to Darlinghurst. But the buses will now be terminating in Martin Place, so I'll have to walk about 6 blocks to catch a bus which doesn't worry me so much its more just having to get up earlier:(

This article was in the paper today.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/dont-avoid-sydney-urge-hoteliers/2007/08/24/1187462483214.html

Nice article mochuck. I thought the hotels would be chokkers, especially having a big tourist attraction like Geedubbya in town. :rolleyes:

Guess I was wrong.

Pity everyone has to change their daily routines so much.

Cheers

Geoff

I checked and its not April 1st. They are going to move animals from Taronga Zoo across the harbour to Garden Island for a private showing for APEC leaders' spouses.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Zoo-animals-on-the-move-for-APEC/2007/08/25/1187462598271.html

I actually find this one very hard to believe its so stupid:eek:

A waste of time and money, and then there's the added inconvenience to locals and tourists, and don't forget the poor animals.

It's the nail in Howards political coffin here in Sydney.

Terry

A waste of time and money, and then there's the added inconvenience to locals and tourists, and don't forget the poor animals.

It's the nail in Howards political coffin here in Sydney.

Terry

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-great-apec-wall-rises/2007/09/01/1188067428053.html

Totally agree with you, Terry. Having previously voted Liberal, this is enough for me to change. Very naive of me but I still don't understand why they had to have it in Sydney? Vanity of a few old men and all that. They should have taken over one (or a few) of the islands in the Whitsundays instead and locked down the entire island and surrounding airspace with much less disruption.

I agree. Or have it at Ayers Rock. With the money and used they could have built a fence around the whole place. Airspace would be easier to control also. Can't believe they are moving the animals out of the zoo. Crazy. Half the city is blocked off. It's going to be a nightmare for those that have to go into the city for work. My hubby does and he's dreading it. I hope sydneysiders have the sense to stay awsay. They have even changed legislation to deal with "potential riots". I'm planning to go to the snowy mountains for the weekend. The only good thing is the extra day off work.

I agree. Or have it at Ayers Rock. With the money and used they could have built a fence around the whole place. Airspace would be easier to control also. Can't believe they are moving the animals out of the zoo. Crazy. Half the city is blocked off. It's going to be a nightmare for those that have to go into the city for work. My hubby does and he's dreading it. I hope sydneysiders have the sense to stay awsay. They have even changed legislation to deal with "potential riots". I'm planning to go to the snowy mountains for the weekend. The only good thing is the extra day off work.

I would've liked it to be at Ayers Rock as well but they don't even have enough hotel rooms to house GWB's entourage of 655 let alone everyone else.

Apparently there are only 2 places in Australia with enough hotel rooms to accommodate everyone and they are Sydney and Melbourne:(

I would've liked it to be at Ayers Rock as well but they don't even have enough hotel rooms to house GWB's entourage of 655 let alone everyone else.

Apparently there are only 2 places in Australia with enough hotel rooms to accommodate everyone and they are Sydney and Melbourne:(

I have a spare tent, and would have been happy to lend it for the occasion. Sure you would find enough like-minded Sydney-siders to contribute as well. :D

Cheers

Geoff

Well, I've got to say it's like a circus here. The helicopters start flying over my appartment at 7:30 am. Police cars and officers everywhere, and I get the feeling they don't know why they are there because all they do is stand around in groups of 8-10 chatting. And then if something does move around the city, motorcycle police and sirens come from everywhere.

If that's not enough there's the delightful sound of the F-something or ruther flying over the city.

I guess it's Howards last "hurrah".

Terry

P.S. George Jnr had the common sense to talk with Kevin Rudd today because even he knows Howard wont win the next election.

they are actually using circular quay for the cruises around apec, not sure why they felt that was better

There's been nothing docked at Circular Quay this week except for a multitude of police boats. Who knew we had so many police boats:p

where do the P&O cruises depart from? is it Circular Quay or Darling Harbour?

:)

Most depart from Wharf8 - Darling Harbour. All of the P&O Australia fleet + Sun & Dawn Princess all fit under the bridge. Click the link for Sydney Cruiseship movements in my signature for specific times, dates, terminals.

To the hosts here. We do tend to waffle a bit in these parts, but there is a definite on-topic part to the thread. If you are thinking of being in Sydney while APEC is on, be prepared for disruption. Circular Quay is a major transport hub while negotiating Sydney Harbour and there are significant changes at the moment.

Cheers

There's been nothing docked at Circular Quay this week except for a multitude of police boats. Who knew we had so many police boats:p

Or Police :D

Go the chasers ! ! ! ! !

Wharf 8 is being used as a Police command and storage area for vehicles and equipement.

Terry

Yes, the APEC zoo is now closed and they have already started taking the fences down. Should be finished sometime Wednesday as they are only working at night.

Everything should be back to normal by then. . . .

Terry

Archived