Anyone cancelled due to itinerary change?

kbd0627

We are sailing on the Legend Sunday. Due to Dean the ports have changed from Grand Cayman,Cozumel,Belize and Costa Maya to Keywest,Nassua,Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.

One family that was meeting us onboard is pondering cancelling and getting a full refund from Carnival. They are frequent cruisers and booked specifically for the ports.

Just wondering if anyone else who's itinerary has changed due to the storm is considering cancelling??

As for us we are bringing kids and don't much care where we stop as we look forward to the cruise experience!!

I've only had one cruise changed due to Katrina the embarkation port was moved from New Orleans to Galveston causing an extra 6.5 hour drive for us.:( Then Wilma destroyed Cozumel and caused us to go to Playa Del Carmen instead. I never considered cancelling. They can change your ports at any time due to many different things. You can never depend upon actually stopping at any ports so I am happy to just be on the ship.

We are sailing on the Legend Sunday. Due to Dean the ports have changed from Grand Cayman,Cozumel,Belize and Costa Maya to Keywest,Nassua,Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.

One family that was meeting us onboard is pondering cancelling and getting a full refund from Carnival. They are frequent cruisers and booked specifically for the ports.

Just wondering if anyone else who's itinerary has changed due to the storm is considering cancelling??

As for us we are bringing kids and don't much care where we stop as we look forward to the cruise experience!!

Cruising this time of year is always subject to port of call changes.... many will book at this time of year to help reduce costs and take the risk. I personally take the approach of "I have no required place to go and no time to get there" when cruising this time of year as I know my itinerary could change.

How will these folks get a full refund if only because of the itinerary change ? It is not a medical emergency (if taken out trip cancellation insurance) to cause a cancellation for a full refund.

Cruising this time of year is always subject to port of call changes.... many will book at this time of year to help reduce costs and take the risk. I personally take the approach of "I have no required place to go and no time to get there" when cruising this time of year as I know my itinerary could change.

How will these folks get a full refund if only because of the itinerary change ? It is not a medical emergency (if taken out trip cancellation insurance) to cause a cancellation for a full refund.

They contacted Carnival via phone and were advised that if they choose to cancel they will be fully refunded.

If they're frequent cruisers then I'd think the newer iten would be quite appealing! Key West is awesome and Grand Turk has a great swim up bar....I'd jump on it :)

Someone said they called Carnival and they were asked if they bought Carnival insurance, if not then no refund. They would still have to file with the insurance to get a refund. Depends on your policy.

They contacted Carnival via phone and were advised that if they choose to cancel they will be fully refunded.

In all my years of cruising... I have never heard of a cruiseline offering to provide a full refund this close to sailing because of a weather related itinerary change.... but hey, I could be mistaken. I only hope they have it in writing as well as a name of who they spoke to !

Carnival allows you a 24 hour window to cancel your cruise when a itinerary change is made

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/port_cancellation_policy.aspx

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.\

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the passenger's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

In all my years of cruising... I have never heard of a cruiseline offering to provide a full refund this close to sailing because of a weather related itinerary change.... but hey, I could be mistaken. I only hope they have it in writing as well as a name of who they spoke to !

It is actually Carnivals Policy:

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the passenger's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

It happens every hurricane season... they can cancel within 24 hours of the itinerary change. I've seen it very often during this time of year. Someone has posted the link from the contract somewhere around here...

EDIT: See the contract posts above, LMAO!!! :p

I never book my cruise based on need to go to a certain place. Espcecially since I do cruise during hurricane season. I feel bad for those who will be disappointed and from reading some other posts - people seem to be really mad because of the changes.

We had an itinerary change last year due to a medical emergency on the cruise prior to mine and the ship leaving NY 8 hours later than expected - we were suppose to go to Tortola - but went to Grand Turk instead.

It probably ended up being one of the best shore days of our cruise - as soon as you get off the ship you are in Margaretaville - pool, ocean and cocktails. I was literally in the pool the entire day and it was wonderful -

Here are some photo's from last year on the Legend of Grand Turk

47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fbeb0edc00000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fbdf0ee800000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fbd88fdf00000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fbc70ef000000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fba28fa500000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg47b7d636b3127cceb9c6fb968f9100000026100AZM2zlo3aN2Lg

It was great

Yes, we are seriously considering canceling due to the itinerary change.

We are not big fans of the new ports, plus we do not like the back to back sea days.

We are on the valor leaving sun. 8/19 in what should have been a western exotic itinerary.

Mitch.....

Don't ever book a cruise during hurricane season based solely on the itinerary. You will have a large chance of disappointment. Just be confident in the fact that the captain will not take you in harms way and you will still have a wonderful vacation!!!

When they moved the Conquest from New Orleans to Galveston, they offered anyone booked a full refund or credit on a different cruise. We of course went anyway, because we live a lot closer to Galveston than NOLA.

You are going to cancel a cruise do to port stop changes.

But you've already asked your boss for the time off from work, you have been looking forward to the vacation for quite a while.

So now what are you going to do??????

Go back to work????????????!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Stay home!?!?!?!?!?!?

Do either of those options make any sense?????????!?!?!!?!?

And if you are going to try to piece together an alternative land vacation why not just go on the repo cruise?!?!!?!?!?!

You are going to cancel a cruise do to port stop changes.

But you've already asked your boss for the time off from work, you have been looking forward to the vacation for quite a while.

So now what are you going to do??????

Go back to work????????????!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Stay home!?!?!?!?!?!?

Do either of those options make any sense?????????!?!?!!?!?

And if you are going to try to piece together an alternative land vacation why not just go on the repo cruise?!?!!?!?!?!

im with you there. i wouldnt cancel last minute, just because then i would have nothing to do on my vacation! :)

Don't ever book a cruise during hurricane season based solely on the itinerary. You will have a large chance of disappointment. Just be confident in the fact that the captain will not take you in harms way and you will still have a wonderful vacation!!!

I hear that. DW and I have been on 7 cruises (six during hurricane season). Two of them had weather related deviations and one had a ship's equipment deviation. It wouldn't be so bad, except our first cruise (honeymoon) and fourth cruise (5th anniversary) were both the Mexican Riviera and both times we missed Cabo:eek:. The first time from a hurricane and the second time due to a broken shaft on one of the propellers.

We're trying the Mexican Riviera again for our 10th and I am really hoping we finally get to Cabo:D. Hopefully, third time's the charm!

Archived