Dean traveling the Conquest itinerary

funnthesun

It looks as if Hurricane Dean is going right down the route that Conquest does every week. It looks like Jamacia is going to take a direct hit. Now they are saying on the weather channel that Grand Cayman is going to be right after that. Then they are projecting for to hit Cozumel, and the rest of the northern Yucatan. I know these forcasts change, but I don't see how Carnival can still be planning on sending the Conquest to G.C. and Coz. next week.

Maybe it's the number of ships that have arleady changed. With leaving from Galveston, there probably are fewer options due to time. Don't know how long the trip would be. I just hope the passengers have smooth waters and clear skies wherever they go. Silly that Carnival is still saying they are heading right into the storm when we all know that safety is their #1 concern.

We were on the Valor after a major hurricane hit Cozumel and instead we went to Costa Maya. As it sits now we are booked on the Conquest next month and I still don't see how Carnival can send a ship to places that just got hit by a Cat4-Cat5 storm.......They could hit Belize, Roatan, and maybe Key west????

i just wish that they would change it to eastern caribbean so that i wouldn't worry so much. why take us directly in the path of dean? is it not possible to take us on eastern route due to time or something?

thanks

The Conquest won't be going directly into the hurricane. It will probably sail around Cuba and come into Grand Cayman behind the storm. Whether Grand Cayman will be open for business is another question altogether. Chances are you will have a seven day circumnavigation of Cuba with zero stops, or perhaps just Cozumel or by some miracle GC and Coz.

Carnival must give an itinerary. Atleast by dropping a port, passengers are extended the window to cancel without penalty. The Eastern Caribbean islands are too far to due on a seven day itinerary except for Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau and Freeport . My guess is those ports are already full and unavailable to the Conquest. The other Western ports would require sailing into the storm so they aren't feasible either. Key West is the last option but it is full also.

Lets just hope the damage and loss of life on the islands is minimal. And I'll also say a prayer from sunny skies where ever the ships sail over the next 8 days.

I just can't understand why Carnival has not changed the Itinerary like they have on all of their other western carrib. cruises. To just say that we are going to skip MoBay doesn't work. If you look at the forcast there is no way that they are going to send the Conquest through the Yucatan channel early next week.

I just can't understand why Carnival has not changed the Itinerary like they have on all of their other western carrib. cruises. To just say that we are going to skip MoBay doesn't work. If you look at the forcast there is no way that they are going to send the Conquest through the Yucatan channel early next week.

You are absolutely right, no ship will sail into a hurricane. Look at a map....Draw a line from Galveston across the Gulf toward key West. Keep going down the north coast of Cuba and around Cuba to Grand Cayman. That route takes three days to sail. The first day is the only place a ship can sail from Galveston on Monday that puts the ship in a position to avoid the storm since the storm can change its path. You can bank on the Conquest doing this route Monday. Dean should have passed Grand Cayman and be nearing Cozumel on Monday so the ship will know if Grand Cayman will be accepting ships or closed. (my guess is closed) If GC is open the Conquest will sail around Cuba and arrive in GC as usual. From there the sail home will be the standard route. A stop in Coz will depend on conditions there.

If GC is closed the Conquest will waste a day in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico letting Dean continue west. After Tuesday a decision will be made on where if any where the ship can stop on Thursday and whether Coz will be open on Friday. Looking at a map and the projected course of Dean there are few options. The ship still must be back on Sunday. Just be glad you won't be taken anywhere near the storm.

Perhaps they could port in New Orleans and then on down to Tampa!:D Just kidding! I know yall are worried but the ship will be following Dean not heading into him. You may end up with a 7 day cruise to nowhere but they would have to refund your port fees.

Just in......GC to be hit late Monday and Yucatan on Tuesday! You will be safe but may make no ports. Sorry folks but try to have fun!

Can a poster REALLY think that Carnival would take their ship directly in the path of a hurricane? I mean seriously people. Even if it isn't posted yet, they for SURE would not do such a thing. You may end up on a 7 day cruise to nowhere but you are not going into the path of a hurricane.

Can a poster REALLY think that Carnival would take their ship directly in the path of a hurricane? I mean seriously people. Even if it isn't posted yet, they for SURE would not do such a thing. You may end up on a 7 day cruise to nowhere but you are not going into the path of a hurricane.

I dont know where you live, but heading out tomorrow, they are bound to get remnants of the hurricane, even if not a direct hit. That gulf just isnt big enough to miss the hurricane.

I think storms can be fun if you dont have to worry about your car being hurt. I think Id change parking to the garage instead of EZCruise about now just to be safe lol.

OP I hope you enjoy your cruise, no matter where the ship take you. :D

I noticed that! I hope these islands, as well as anywhere else Dean goes, don't get hit too hard!!:(

One of the advantages of having little or no infrastructure is that it doesn't take much to get up and running again.

Like Dylan said "When you ain't got nuthin' you go nuthin' to lose".

Archived