Carnival Splender

momofmeg

Pegs222 I will be looking for your review. I can't wait and hate that it's soooo far in the future. But they say "Good things come to those who wait."

I am trying to find a quick 4 day for DH and me before then to hold me over.

And I am booked September 11, 2008

Yep that is the cruise that I liked! We are actually doing a transatlantic this Sept on the constellation but I liked that this cruise had ports in spain and Italy. I guess it is a repo too from northern europe to the med. I actually got sent info on a great price that included plane tickets.

Pegs222 I will be looking for your review. I can't wait and hate that it's soooo far in the future. But they say "Good things come to those who wait."

I am trying to find a quick 4 day for DH and me before then to hold me over.

I can't wait to go, as I have said a zillion times here. I cant even imagine reporting on London, Paris, Rome and the rest of the ports. It just seems so far away but at the same time, it will be here before we know it. As much as I love to crusie I wish we would go more often, but my DH is not the traveler that I am. Although he is coming home from a week in Canada fishing. But you can bet if you ask him, he would say that is not traveling, that is fishing no matter how far away it is. But now that I am retired, maybe I will go more often. Take a good friend, have a great time. I remember going our first cruise, four days, way to short for me. But as a tide over, why not:cool:

Yep that is the cruise that I liked! We are actually doing a transatlantic this Sept on the constellation but I liked that this cruise had ports in spain and Italy. I guess it is a repo too from northern europe to the med. I actually got sent info on a great price that included plane tickets.

I would never go on a transatlantic, nor would I ever get my DH to go on one. We went to Hawaii four years ago and went from Canada to Maui, took five very long days. Way to long for him, and by the fifth day I was even getting restless. I am sure it is not that long, but the ports are less because of the transatlantic. I was so intrigued by London and Paris, that is why our friends and us went that way. Glad you got such a great price, that is always a good thing to have.

I would never go on a transatlantic, nor would I ever get my DH to go on one. We went to Hawaii four years ago and went from Canada to Maui, took five very long days. Way to long for him, and by the fifth day I was even getting restless. I am sure it is not that long, but the ports are less because of the transatlantic. I was so intrigued by London and Paris, that is why our friends and us went that way. Glad you got such a great price, that is always a good thing to have.

It takes 3 days to go from Ireland to Canada and as my husband has us booked on all day excursions every day (4 ports in 4 days) before we cross the Atlantic plus the 3 days we are in England precruise-I WELCOME those sea days!

We are going to do Versailes from LaHavre. That is the one I am most excited about.

I am just afraid this is going to have me HOOKED big time-many of my fellow pasengers do the transatlantic every year. They love it. There is one couple that do them spring and fall both.

But as I said, one travel agency sent me a super price-it was like $1899 a person including air for an inside stateroom-and I loved the ports of the Sept. 11 sailing.

We started cruising 9 years ago and we average a cruise every 8 months or so I guess. we have done 12 cruises. I am sick of the caribbean big time but I love cruisng. I just felt maybe it is worth only cruising once a year or year and half and going to Europe.

Ofcourse we have to look at the money thing. If not in 2008 then in 2009 I hope we can!

Too much to list. Go to the link and there is alot of information there.

http://www.carnival.com/Ship_Detail.aspx?shipCode=SL

I hope this helps. It is a large ship with lots of different lounges and activities.

I went there but I need to look at deck plans-I did not get past the itnernaires. I found one I like even better! The transatlantic which only has 2 sea days in a roll-it starts in Italy then has port in Spain. Portugal, Fungal(isn't tha tin the middle of the Atlantic) the last port is in St. Marten. I think that is the one I want to do!

Peg you might even like this one!

I went there but I need to look at deck plans-I did not get past the itnernaires. I found one I like even better! The transatlantic which only has 2 sea days in a roll-it starts in Italy then has port in Spain. Portugal, Fungal(isn't tha tin the middle of the Atlantic) the last port is in St. Marten. I think that is the one I want to do!

Peg you might even like this one!

I would love them all, but London and Paris is really were I want to go. This is the maiden voyage, wonder what the advantage is for that, probably nothing LOL. And we are staying in London the day before we sail and Rome, our last port. I am glad we are booked, I do not want to make any more discussion other than just what hotel we stay in London and Rome, and believe you me, that is not as easy as it sounds. Do we stay near the airport or stay where everything is. I think the airport makes more sense, that way we do not have to haul our luggage all over the place and we only have to hop on something to get to see all the sights.

I would love them all, but London and Paris is really were I want to go. This is the maiden voyage, wonder what the advantage is for that, probably nothing LOL. And we are staying in London the day before we sail and Rome, our last port. I am glad we are booked, I do not want to make any more discussion other than just what hotel we stay in London and Rome, and believe you me, that is not as easy as it sounds. Do we stay near the airport or stay where everything is. I think the airport makes more sense, that way we do not have to haul our luggage all over the place and we only have to hop on something to get to see all the sights.

I was on the Miracle when she was 6 weeks old-so not the maiden voyage but very early on.

I guess until we get back the end of next month we can't book anything-we will have to look at our finances-but we did like you did and booked over a year early.

Orginally we booked Jewel of the Seas and that transatlantic was cancled for dry dock and then the later transatlantic did differant ports and not many -so it mostly was just crossing the atlantic so no appeal and then we learned about this one on the Constellation.

I guess I like Splendor transatlantic better just because we leave out of Dover on our cruise next month and LaHavre is our first port the next day-and I liked the fact that that transatlantic does not have alot of sea days also.

What I would want to do is fly into Paris (so we could really see the sites-one day is just not long enough) and spend a couple of days there and then take a train to Italy and spend one night there before boarding ship.

Tony and I love cruising and we are not cruiseline loyalists to ANY line-in fact we love the variation of doing a differant line from one cruise to the next-we have never taken 2 cruises in a roll from one line (except one I lied! We did Carnival Inspiration and then the Miracle 4 months later ) and I doubt we ever will. (will again that is) There are differant things we like about each line I guess!

but you know Peg, if I have a bad experience on our crossing I could very well change my mind about which cruise I want to do!

Now, I have been in choppy waters-we were out in the atlantic between NY and Bermuda when "Floyd" was going in in 2002 and we were on an old dinky ship to boot, the orignial Pacific Princess,( the Love boat,) 600 PAX,it took about 36 hours to get to Bermuda from NY so we felt alot!

I was on the Miracle when she was 6 weeks old-so not the maiden voyage but very early on.

I guess until we get back the end of next month we can't book anything-we will have to look at our finances-but we did like you did and booked over a year early.

Orginally we booked Jewel of the Seas and that transatlantic was cancled for dry dock and then the later transatlantic did differant ports and not many -so it mostly was just crossing the atlantic so no appeal and then we learned about this one on the Constellation.

I guess I like Splendor transatlantic better just because we leave out of Dover on our cruise next month and LaHavre is our first port the next day-and I liked the fact that that transatlantic does not have alot of sea days also.

What I would want to do is fly into Paris (so we could really see the sites-one day is just not long enough) and spend a couple of days there and then take a train to Italy and spend one night there before boarding ship.

Tony and I love cruising and we are not cruiseline loyalists to ANY line-in fact we love the variation of doing a differant line from one cruise to the next-we have never taken 2 cruises in a roll from one line (except one I lied! We did Carnival Inspiration and then the Miracle 4 months later ) and I doubt we ever will. (will again that is) There are differant things we like about each line I guess!

but you know Peg, if I have a bad experience on our crossing I could very well change my mind about which cruise I want to do!

Now, I have been in choppy waters-we were out in the atlantic between NY and Bermuda when "Floyd" was going in in 2002 and we were on an old dinky ship to boot, the orignial Pacific Princess,( the Love boat,) 600 PAX,it took about 36 hours to get to Bermuda from NY so we felt alot!

I would not call being waited on hand and foot a bad crossing LOL, but all you see is sea, that is it, nothing. I thought that was so cool the first day, not so much by the fifth. And I love the idea of getting to see so many ports. We can rest on the plane going back home. We are both retired, so we have all the time in the world to rest up when we get back home. My DH is not at all excited about this cruise. Maybe the closer we get he will at least be happy about going, but now, not at all. He always has so much fun once we get on the ship, but before it is just not that big a deal to him. Oh well, I am excited enough for both of us.

We have always sailed on Carnival, but then we have only sailed three times, and always in September because of our anniversary.

I am so happy for you and your husband. You both love to cruise and seem like you love what ever happens. I can't imagine just doing a crossing, that would be like taking the Cruise to Nowhere for a few days.

I would not call being waited on hand and foot a bad crossing LOL, but all you see is sea, that is it, nothing. I thought that was so cool the first day, not so much by the fifth. And I love the idea of getting to see so many ports. We can rest on the plane going back home. We are both retired, so we have all the time in the world to rest up when we get back home. My DH is not at all excited about this cruise. Maybe the closer we get he will at least be happy about going, but now, not at all. He always has so much fun once we get on the ship, but before it is just not that big a deal to him. Oh well, I am excited enough for both of us.

We have always sailed on Carnival, but then we have only sailed three times, and always in September because of our anniversary.

I am so happy for you and your husband. You both love to cruise and seem like you love what ever happens. I can't imagine just doing a crossing, that would be like taking the Cruise to Nowhere for a few days.

Well Peg as I said our crossing is 3 days so not bad. I will be resting from doing so much from our precruise in England and then the four ports before we get to Canada- and the Carnival Splender crossing only has at the longest 2 sea days together so it is not bad at all. I guess everyone is diff. because I met some of the folks on my roll call for lunch that live in the Atlanta, Ga area who have done several transatlantics(you might want to do that if anyone is on your roll call that lives near you) and they say they love the sea days the best-plus the fact they don't have to do two long overseas flights. As I said, I will reserve judgement for us until AFTER we do this cruise next month! then we will know if it is for us or not. One thing, flying one way is almost as much as flying round trip so we definetely will not save there-so that would not be a deciding factor in which cruise we do.

I guess that is another reason to wait until after our cruise before we book anything.

thanks, I will go there.

I went to the website of the agency that was running the deals on the cruises including the price of the filights and it shows 5 sea days between Fungal and st. Marten-I should have known! At the Carnival site it only shows one day-no ship is that fast! so now the transatlantic is not so appealing!

But I found a great deal for the carribean which included Turk and Caicos which I have never been to and San Juan which I have only been to once. Maybe that will be the cruise we book next year! and go for the european the following year. That will fit our pocketbook better I am sure!

so it is slightly bigger then the conquest class but takes the same amount of PAX.

the thing I don't like about tha tis I hate Mariner of the Seas-it was much bigger but we had 3600 PAX and it was too crowded on sea days. I did not like that. I did not feel that way about Carnival Miracle and it was also a full ship when we cruised her.

Well Peg as I said our crossing is 3 days so not bad. I will be resting from doing so much from our precruise in England and then the four ports before we get to Canada- and the Carnival Splender crossing only has at the longest 2 sea days together so it is not bad at all. I guess everyone is diff. because I met some of the folks on my roll call for lunch that live in the Atlanta, Ga area who have done several transatlantics(you might want to do that if anyone is on your roll call that lives near you) and they say they love the sea days the best-plus the fact they don't have to do two long overseas flights. As I said, I will reserve judgement for us until AFTER we do this cruise next month! then we will know if it is for us or not. One thing, flying one way is almost as much as flying round trip so we definetely will not save there-so that would not be a deciding factor in which cruise we do.

I guess that is another reason to wait until after our cruise before we book anything.

The price of the one way air for two different destinations is called something, but I can not remember what it is. Anyway, we have Carnival air right now for $1,200.00. My Carnival representative gave me some sites to check and and see if I can get a better rate than she has. I somehow doubt that I can, but I will check. She said I would not even be able to do that until next month, a year before we leave. With the two hotels one in London and one in Rome, all the excursions, this is going to be pricey. But, I do not care, I have been planning on going to Europe since probably the day we got back from Hawaii LOL.

Let me know when you get back from your crusie and I can maybe tell you what I have found out, if anything.

Archived