Carnival Splender

momofmeg

Sorry just meant OP stated not wanting too big and those stats said max passengers - 3700, just thought Carnival's 3006 seemed less crowded.

I am excited about this new ship, but more excited about the itinerary. Click on my Roll Call link, it is there.

The new Carnival Splendor is to start cruising in late July, 2008. It is most similar to the 113,000 ton Costa ships. The Splendor is the first ship of a new class for Carnival.

We are booked for the transatlantic departing October 29,2008. Ten of the 16 days are sea days, so if you wish to make port calls, you will not be happy. I prefer my time at sea. I enjoy watching the water pass and seeing other ships; the ocean is a very busy place! The plethora of sea days is one of the things that made this attractive to us.

The other thing is a number of attractive port calls in an area we are unlikely to visit any other way.

Plus, Carnival made the price so interesting we could not say no.

Doc

The new Carnival Splendor is to start cruising in late July, 2008. It is most similar to the 113,000 ton Costa ships. The Splendor is the first ship of a new class for Carnival.

We are booked for the transatlantic departing October 29,2008. Ten of the 16 days are sea days, so if you wish to make port calls, you will not be happy. I prefer my time at sea. I enjoy watching the water pass and seeing other ships; the ocean is a very busy place! The plethora of sea days is one of the things that made this attractive to us.

The other thing is a number of attractive port calls in an area we are unlikely to visit any other way.

Plus, Carnival made the price so interesting we could not say no.

Doc

I am glad you are happy with your cruise. We all love something different. Since this is my first trip to Europe, I wanted to make sure I see as much as I can. It is very relaxing to be at see. That always have something going on, or you can do nothing at all.

Sorry just meant OP stated not wanting too big and those stats said max passengers - 3700, just thought Carnival's 3006 seemed less crowded.

3006 is probally 2 to a cabin. I know Mariner of the Seas was suppoably 3100 people but that was at 2 to a cabin-on our cruise were 3700 so I guess many were 4 to a cabin.

It was just too congested for me and I was miserable on sea days. You could not get NEAR the pools or the lido restuarant. I decided then and there I will never cruise another voyager class and you could not pay me to get on their freedom class. it seemed to me with all the fancy alternate things they had for people to entertain themselves with-all people wanted to do on my cruise was veg by the pools and the pools were just not big enough.

Now last fall we cruised on the Caribbean Princess-we were around 3000 PAX but it never felt crowded or congested. Also, as I said when we were on the Miracle, she was also a full ship but we did not feel it was crowded at all.

I don't mind the ship being big-I just don't want it to feel congested.

I am glad you are happy with your cruise. We all love something different. Since this is my first trip to Europe, I wanted to make sure I see as much as I can. It is very relaxing to be at see. That always have something going on, or you can do nothing at all.

Peg I think you made a very good choice for your first trip to Europe. England, France, Spain, and Italy on one cruise is pretty good! I imagine your cruise will be sold out for sure as it is a repositioning cruise from Northern europe to the med. It will be the only cruise that will go to those 4 countries.

We have been to England and Belguim before so this cruise next month will be my second trip to Europe. My husband loves England and he has been twice without me-I told him it is time we hit some other parts of Europe. I would love to see Italy and ofcourse actually stay in Paris-but that will be another time I guess. I am looking forward to seeing Ireland and I said I wanted to see Ireland before Italy, I am about a third irish and I have no Italian or Spanish in me! but I do have some French in me also besides native american!

Peg, there may be a better price on air if you keep checking for deals. I know some on our transatlantic are flying from NY to London for $500 a person, that just did not help us as we fly from Atlanta and it would cost us just as much if we tacked on the price from Atlanta to NY as what we got. We are flying Delta.

Also, you would also have to find a deal from Italy to home also. You would need to find two deals. And you are only paying a $100 more since it is $1200 total for air for you.

I read awhile back that the tonnage per passenger ratio determined how crowded the ship feels. Liberty is 110,000 tons 2974 pax while Splendor is 113,300 tons 3006 pax.

The way it was explained the Liberty at full capacity would feel more crowded than the Splendor at full capacity.

Hope I am explaining this right.

I read awhile back that the tonnage per passenger ratio determined how crowded the ship feels. Liberty is 110,000 tons 2974 pax while Splendor is 113,300 tons 3006 pax.

The way it was explained the Liberty at full capacity would feel more crowded than the Splendor at full capacity.

So it won't be as cramped as the conquest class ship-I have never cruised the conquest class but I understand it can be very congested on a full sailing whereaw the Truimph does not feel that way on a full sailing. I know the spirit class does not feel that way as i have cruised a spirit class ship that was full to capacity.

• 4 months later...
I can't wait to go, as I have said a zillion times here. I cant even imagine reporting on London, Paris, Rome and the rest of the ports. It just seems so far away but at the same time, it will be here before we know it. As much as I love to cruise I wish we would go more often, but my DH is not the traveler that I am. Although he is coming home from a week in Canada fishing. But you can bet if you ask him, he would say that is not traveling, that is fishing no matter how far away it is. But now that I am retired, maybe I will go more often. Take a good friend, have a great time. I remember going our first cruise, four days, way to short for me. But as a tide over, why not:cool:

Pegs I loved my cruise! but one bad thing is I only got a little "taste" of the cities and now I want to go back to Europe. We haven't decided if we will do a land tour or another crusie but we hope to do this in 09.

We want to spend a few days in Paris as I understand you need at least 3 or 4 days to see it. We opted to go to Versailles from our cruise as we were told the Effiel Tower is a 3 or 4 hour wait and so we knew we would not see much in Paris if we had taken an excurion there for the day.

Now our ship sailed from Dover and we learned there are ferrys that come from France to there. (I am sure other coastal England towns also)If I had it to do over again I would have flown into Paris to spend a few days there and then I owuld have taken a train to the coast of France to get on a ferry to England to embark.

I am just mentioning this to you as you still have time to plan and may want to consider this.

The space ratio on both ships is 37:1. I'd expect them to feel pretty much the same at full capacity.

We are on the Splendor 'maiden' voyage in a spa suite. Those ports are too appealing to pass up for the price of the cruise. That's the only way we will be going to St. Petersburg or Tallin, Estonia. Looking forward to a new ship, new cruise line, and definately different ports of call from Mexico or the Carribbean.

We are on the Splendor 'maiden' voyage in a spa suite. Those ports are too appealing to pass up for the price of the cruise. That's the only way we will be going to St. Petersburg or Tallin, Estonia. Looking forward to a new ship, new cruise line, and definately different ports of call from Mexico or the Carribbean.

We booked a Spa Cabin for our Splendor cruise in November ....PLEASE post a review of the new amenities offered when you return!!! Thanks!!!

We booked a Spa Cabin for our Splendor cruise in November ....PLEASE post a review of the new amenities offered when you return!!! Thanks!!!

I found one website that had a few spa inside cabins left. What is a spa inside cabin and how is that better then the usual inside cabin?

I will try to remember to do that.

I've noticed most of the cabins around us are still available, except for the other suite next to us.

Using the therapy pool and the spa loungers sound so good right now, but we have to wait...and wait...and wait...

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a conquest class ship? anyone know?

Brand new class for Carnival. Splendor is, however, a sister ship to the Costa Concordia. Different funnel and lots of newer features but the same hull.

Archived