Malaga To Gibraltar?

It is certainly feasible. I would guess the total drive time would be 4 hours assuming no major accident or super bad traffic. This would leave 7 hours to see the sites of Gibraltar which is fine to see the rock and apes, have lunch, and do a bit of shopping and wandering. It really depends on how much you want to drive around.

We'll be visiting Malaga next month and were thinking of renting a car and driving to Gibraltar? We arrive at 9am and depart at 8pm... Has anyone done this or have any pros or cons of trying to do this? Thanks!

Dead easy - maybe an hour and a half to Gib - maybe a bit more, along the coast road. You'll pass some great places - Marbella, Puorto Banus etc etc.

You can make the drive in about 1 1/2 hours and its a delightful excursion. Of course the time could be a bit longer if there is a lot of traffic. You can avoid delays by sticking to the main highway (A49) but its a lot more interesting to drive along the coast and visit Marbella and Estepona. Personally, we cannot think of any negative to this drive, but than we often drive in Europe.

Hank

Great, thanks I thought it could be done by looking at the map. Do you know if there's train service along the coast instead of driving?:confused:

Yes, there is a train service from Malaga - we've been on it, but only as far as Fuengorala (sp?) which is about 20 minutes or so from Marbella - I guess it will go all the way to Gib as it's quite an important route.

Take into account p/u and return of your rental....not as quick as in the US....and you must check on the times the rental is open for business....take nothing for granted!

It is an easy drive but there are many other places of interest a little closer as others have mentioned.......Marbella, both the paseo and olde towne, Puerto Banus and the white villages such as Ronda are all great. The drive is easy....lots of traffic during the peak beach months....less off season. Michelin has great directions online similar to the directions on Mapquest.

Select two addresses (hotels, restaurants, etc), plot them and print them out to take with you. I even reversed the directions for the return....on ramps and off ramps are not always near each other.

I'd figure on 1.5 to Gibralter; 45 minutes to Marbella; 1 hour 15 minutes to Ronda......or you can just visit Malaga which is what we plan to do on our next TA.

Marty

Take into account p/u and return of your rental....not as quick as in the US....and you must check on the times the rental is open for business....take nothing for granted!

It is an easy drive but there are many other places of interest a little closer as others have mentioned.......Marbella, both the paseo and olde towne, Puerto Banus and the white villages such as Ronda are all great. The drive is easy....lots of traffic during the peak beach months....less off season. Michelin has great directions online similar to the directions on Mapquest.

Select two addresses (hotels, restaurants, etc), plot them and print them out to take with you. I even reversed the directions for the return....on ramps and off ramps are not always near each other.

I'd figure on 1.5 to Gibralter; 45 minutes to Marbella; 1 hour 15 minutes to Ronda......or you can just visit Malaga which is what we plan to do on our next TA.

Marty

....and another option from Malaga is the Alhambra in Granada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra

250px-80525560_0eb2c1d54a_o.jpg

Archived