HURTIGRUTEN in September

Henrietta

Doing Grand Norway package to connect with the Trollfjord leaving Bergen Sep 21. Later departure than intended so would appreciate any info from those who have travelled the coast at that time of year.

Tom Barton you were planning the identical 2 years ago but unfortunately email bounced. If you read this would be pleased to hear from you and others please.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Grand Norway in May of 2005 and it was one of he best trips we have ever taken. We were on the MS Midnatsol the Trollfjords sister ship.

We use http://www.wunderground.com/ to see what the weather will be like during any of our trips. You can also see historical data and the average temp/conditions for the city.

We add all the major ports/cities as favorites before the trip. That gives us some idea what to expect.

No matter when you go, it will be cold north of the Arctic Circle and very cold at the North Cape.

Will you be spending 2 nights in Oslo? Have you ever been there before?

If you have any questions, you can email me at firstparty@tampabay.rr.com and I'll answer any I can.

• 2 weeks later...

not on one of the coastal steamers, as the Norweigans call them. We were on the 350 pax British ship, Spirit of Adventure, and loved it. We saw several of the steamers and were glad we were on our little boat but I would love to return to Norway in the dead of winter (snow, ice, dark!!!) and take the coastal trip again. Beware that Norway is ruinously expensive ($40 pizzas, $15 Big Mac meals, $8 soft drinks - I am not kidding!!!). Get a fare which includes all your onboard meals and any hotel stays pre/post cruise. Transfer from Bergen airport to dock cost a friend of ours $80 when they took the Midnitsol this spring (which they mostely enjoyed). Enjoy - it is beautiful and the fall should be magical.

We did the Grand Norway in May of 2005 and it was one of he best trips we have ever taken. We were on the MS Midnatsol the Trollfjords sister ship.

Hi PaulWN,

We will be on the same ship next summer and I have searched the website and know that the fare includes three meals and a bed, anything else??

Are snacks available for purchace inbetween meals?

Do they have soda card deals like on regular cruise lines?

The website says nothing about bringing our own alcohol on board, is this allowed?

Do they organize any sort of activites onboard? Sorry, just got off of AOS with round the clock entertainment....

Thanks for any info!

Warmwatersailor: the answers are:

Nothing else;

Yes;

No;

Yes, for consumption in own cabin;

A little, but one is Arctic Crossing ceremony (on northbound voyages). They do sell excurions for you to take while in some ports.

We have been on two round trip voyages - both on Finnmarken: the first was in July 2003 out of Bergen and the second one was an opposite Dec 2004 (Xmas and New Year) out of Kirkenes!!

Both were GREAT - each in its own magical way. We saw two sides of Norway - bright and dark, and I was so glad to have had the experience of both.

Hurtigruten is NOT like the Caribbean cruise so you need to NOT compare Hurtigruten to the AOS, etc. Hurtigruten ships are working ships that take passengers along. Many of the ports are short (15-30 mins) and we enjoyed going out on deck to watch the activity - forklifts busy unloading and loading cargo for the town. Each town we stopped at is unique and very eye-catching.

Mother Nature is the entertainment. During our winter cruise we saw Northern Lights, and also the beautiful noon-time twilight above the Arctic Circle (you still see the sun below the Arctic Circle but for a short time). Plenty of sunshine during out summer cruise and it was warm, even above the Arctic Circle. Finnmarken has an outdoor swimming pool (heated seawater) and it was very well used!

BTW, if you want to know how cold North Norway is in the winter, a lady from Toronto was on the cruise and she exclaimed it was a lot warmer than back home! It hovered around 0*C (32*F) from -3*C to +3*C.

WWS - There is a 24 hour cafeteria with a limited selection of food. You will pay for anything you get. There are various drinks available there, but nothing is for free.

We had a piano player/singer as entertainment. He sang in English. Other than that there was no entertainment. The library has a TV and some books and games.

The Midnatsol has a hot tub that some people did use.

You get one bottle of water a day for dinner. They have a water package available for a price for the whole trip. I highly recommend you get it. They fill any bottle you bring them with either regular or sparkling water. Once you figure out how to do it, you can have at least 3 or 4 bottles available at any time.

Here's some pictures if you're interested. http://community.webshots.com/user/rcicruisers

Here's the review we wrote: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189561&highlight=Hurtigruten

PaulWN - Thank for the review and pictures.

I'll inquire about the water package and bring some crystal light packets, I'm fully aware of what Norwegian prices are like!!

Saw that you have been on Jewel of the Seas as well, we are hoping to do a 12 Night Scandinavia And Russia Cruise on her summer 2009.

One thing I forgot to put in the review is to take along antibiotic salve and/or spray like Neosporin or Bactine. You can't get it in Norway without a prescription.

Been on the Jewel twice. She's a beautiful ship.

Judy always remembers Barbados as the place she saw a wild monkey for the first time when it ran across the road in front of our taxi in 1988. We had hird him for a tour of the island.

We played golf at Sandy Lane in 94 on a cruise with my father.

We will be going in April 2008 and I have a couple of questions. Do you know if they have ice machines available, or ice buckets in the cabin? My husband is a Mountain Dew addict and I may have to pack a few in the luggage. Does anyone know if they sell Mountain Dew in Norway...also any idea of price of soda on the ship? I see you mentioned that you can get coffee or hot tea with meals...can you get milk or hot cocoa with meals or is that an extra charge? Thanks.

We were in a Cat U cabin and neither one of us remember any ice in the cabin. There is ice available in the 24 hour canteen for the cups for the soda there. Don't know if there is mountain dew on the ship. You should be able to buy it in the towns.

Coffe is available for breakfast and lunch and for a while after dinner. After that you have to pay for it. Hot water is available for tea and we think there was packets of cocoa (but we're not sure).

Milk was available for breakfast, but we don't know about any other time as we don't drink very much milk.

Sorry I wasn't any more helpful, but we've been on 7 cruises since then and things tend to run together.

Mountain Dew is not a common drink in Norway. You may get it in the larger cities, but you won't find it in the smaller towns. Do try the Norwegian soda. In the grocery stores they have a soda called either Fruktchampagne or Champagne Brus. They are the same thing, different suppliers. It is a favorite of mine and my children. My children don't like many things Norwegian, but they do love Champagne Brus and Norwegian Chocolate.

• 2 months later...

Archived