soda card pros and cons ?

rob6465

but seriously, people here are demented most of the time. They have no respect for someone in a wheelchair, and don't care whose feet they step on.

I am glad I am out of the workforce now. i am retired on disability.

NOW, I get panic attacks like when i go to a walmart I am not use to going to. or even during Muster DRill. If I am in the back. I need to be up front. I can not stand to be in the middle of a row of seats at the theater or anything like that. want the end seat. guess I have a bit of causterphobia. Dont even like shutting the door to a small room.

Oh FTLOG! What in the WORLD does anything you just said have to do with stealing.... or a soda card, or eating grapes in the grocery store... ???? I am starting to hear twilight zone music... :confused: :confused:

It is the people who leave their work to go smoke when someone is waiting on them. YES, a 15 min break every 3 hours is permissable. but 10 min every 30 min, is still wrong. Makes more work on those who don't smoke. One job I had, a friend of mine and I joked about starting to smoke just so we could have breaks like the other 3 people did. It was a small nursing home kitchen. The cooks, and the dishwasher would go out and smoke every 30 min for 10 -15 min. Even the boss did this with them, so there was no need to complain. but if my friend and I sat down for 5 min, we got yelled at to get up and go back to work.

I don't mean approved overtime. I mean like staying over just because you feel like it like at the hospital I use to work for. Schedule was 630 - 2pm. Staying over till 3 or 330 because you felt like it is stealing. I learned their secret the first month I worked there, and never did what they did. I worked till I clocked out. And what was wors, they took a break at 7 am for 30 min, at 10 they took an hour break, and at 2 they took an hour to an hour and a half break. then complained they never got a break. What do they call that. Since then, things have changed. They have to clock out for lunch. And the entire place shuts down for an hour between 3 and 4 pm for the afternoon shift to take their lunches.

That is the kind of overtime I am talking about. If your boss ask you to work over, that is different. If it is manditory, that is different. but to be scheduled 40 hours a week, and work 50 hours is stealing when there is not need for it because you are taking too many breaks that are longer than you are allowed.

It sounds like you have issues with people you worked with, and the people that frequent your grocery store... because still, nothing you mentioned in the original rant you had, has anything to do with this thread... but you have turned this thread into something completely different and I for one am SO lost!! I have hijacked a thread before... but it sounds like you just have some issues with your previous employment that you might not have resolved...

And what you have mentioned is still not stealing. Every job is individual and requires different levels. I have had employees work more than 40 hours without asking, and it was needed and they weren't stealing...:confused: Like I said, I think the things you named are definitely in the slim minority and have nothing to do with soda cards.

Oh FTLOG! What in the WORLD does anything you just said have to do with stealing.... or a soda card, or eating grapes in the grocery store... ???? I am starting to hear twilight zone music... :confused: :confused:

It was in response to "sounds like people where you live are losers"

had nothing to do with that. Just making small talk I guess. I am bored. and no one is on my other thread.

People are wierd here because it is a tourist town. we get all nationalities, from all countries, and when they all get together in one place like walmart, it gets wierd in there.

Best time to go to Walmart. 8 am. before the mom's who have school kids get in. OR at 1 am. when hardly no one is in the store.

had nothing to do with that. Just making small talk I guess. I am bored. and no one is on my other thread.

People are wierd here because it is a tourist town. we get all nationalities, from all countries, and when they all get together in one place like walmart, it gets wierd in there.

Best time to go to Walmart. 8 am. before the mom's who have school kids get in. OR at 1 am. when hardly no one is in the store.

It does! LOL! You said the people in the store where you live sample food, eat grapes, etc. I've NEVER seen anything like that.... anywhere. But what does that have to do with wheelchairs, disabilities and claustrophobia??? :confused:

I don't do Wal Mart... the ones around here are in the "not so desirable" parts of the city. So yes, I can imagine the people there would do the disgusting things you mentioned.

It is the people who leave their work to go smoke when someone is waiting on them. YES, a 15 min break every 3 hours is permissable. but 10 min every 30 min, is still wrong. Makes more work on those who don't smoke. One job I had, a friend of mine and I joked about starting to smoke just so we could have breaks like the other 3 people did. It was a small nursing home kitchen. The cooks, and the dishwasher would go out and smoke every 30 min for 10 -15 min. Even the boss did this with them, so there was no need to complain. but if my friend and I sat down for 5 min, we got yelled at to get up and go back to work.

I don't mean approved overtime. I mean like staying over just because you feel like it like at the hospital I use to work for. Schedule was 630 - 2pm. Staying over till 3 or 330 because you felt like it is stealing. I learned their secret the first month I worked there, and never did what they did. I worked till I clocked out. And what was wors, they took a break at 7 am for 30 min, at 10 they took an hour break, and at 2 they took an hour to an hour and a half break. then complained they never got a break. What do they call that. Since then, things have changed. They have to clock out for lunch. And the entire place shuts down for an hour between 3 and 4 pm for the afternoon shift to take their lunches.

That is the kind of overtime I am talking about. If your boss ask you to work over, that is different. If it is manditory, that is different. but to be scheduled 40 hours a week, and work 50 hours is stealing when there is not need for it because you are taking too many breaks that are longer than you are allowed.

Understand what you are saying. Don't take a break every 30 minutes... but I will say that most of our smoke breaks (that does include non-smokers - all are welcome) have very lively dialoge of the work variety. We get away from the 'cube farm' and brainstorm. It really does pay off. Many, many days I've not taken a lunch b/c the s*** was hitting the fan.

People are going to find their advantage where they can. Look closely at your life and I'm sure you've done the same.

Once the soda is in your hand, you can do what ever you want with it. Even throw it out right away if you want.

I guess once you had a beer or drink of the day in your hand you could also throw those away..........but then again, that would be involving your money..........bet that never happens.

I think experienced cruisers feel (I do at least) when a new cruiser or poster asks about the soda cards and somebody tells them to go ahead and buy one for the family or couple and share it throughout the cruise. That person is giving bad advice. That is why i chime in on soda card threads. Intentionally buying one soda card for more than one person is thievery plain and simple. (not giving someone a sip of a soda!) A new cruiser comes here for information and telling them something that is wrong is well... just wrong.

Most experienced travelers do the right only because it is the right thing to do. If a soda card is not a good value to you don't buy it. If both of you are big soda drinkers buy two. If you went anywhere else on vacation and stopped in a 7/11 and each of you were thirsty you would buy two sodas, and continue doing so throughout your vacation. Why should a cruise be different? Unless you are the type of people who actually go to a buffet and share one plate. If so then there is no point in discussing soda cards.

what i don't get, is that they give away iced tea, lemonade and milk and juice, but make you pay for soda......... the costs are comparable...... soda may even be cheaper.

That is their choice. Have you seen the way some people act? They would abuse soda if given the choice... there are some that would drink 60 a day if it were free... I don't want to supplement someones soda addiction :p There are cruiselines that have free soda... there is a cruise line out there for everyone!! :)

what i don't get, is that they give away iced tea, lemonade and milk and juice, but make you pay for soda......... the costs are comparable...... soda may even be cheaper.

I think it has to do with what the market will bear. More people are willing to pay for a can of soda than would perhaps for a plastic cup of iced tea. It is also a branding thing you are getting a COKE not just some old fruit punch mix. I will pay $2.02 for a can of COKE when I want one. I will never be willing to pay $2.02 for a plastic cup of no name tea mix:D .

I bet if cost to them was similar............soda would probably out sell the others by a large margin.......supply and demand.

They can make a huge profit off of the soda. (Yes I know this and I still buy my soda card)

My PVP said the cost of a card for our 9 night cruise would be 32.00 plus tax and tip. Hope this helps.

Is it worth it? Probably Not. Will I get one? Always do. LOL

That sounds like the price maybe for a kid... not an adult. For an adult it is closer to $50 plus tax and tip... for 9 days.

And don't let your kids grab something in the store and eat it then throw the wrapper down. ALL of that is stealing also.

Each 10 minute cigarette break you take is stealing from your employeer. All that unnecessary overtime you do is stealing from your boss as well. All those grapes you have tasted over the years to see if they are sweet, or sour, or rotten, that is stealing also. If your kids go with you and eat a banana while walking through the store, that is stealing also.

Uh, yes, of course it is. Who would let their child eat a banana in a store and NOT think it was stealing? Or open something and then "throw the wrapper down". Is that actually ACCEPTABLE behavior where you come from?

By the way, the price for a card is EXACTLY $5.50 per day for adults, and $4.00 per day for kids, plus 15% gratuity. There's no "about" about it.

Well I know they will let you bring a small amount of soda with you . On our last cruise (june 07 on the glory ) we walked onboard carrying 3 12 packs of soda and had no problem. Did not buy the soda card as the soda we carryed on was pleanty woith the juice and stuff you could get for free. Beside the little one fell in love with virgin frozen drinks of which we let her have one a day

I have to agree with this guy. DH and myself always share a soda card. Why would I pay over $50 for the week so we can have soda.

I agree 1000%. That's why I only pay for every other tank of gas and just drive off for the rest. Charging $2.89 a gallon is ridiculous. Why should I have to pay $70.00 every time I go just so I can have a lousy tank of gas that costs $10.00 to make?

That is their choice. Have you seen the way some people act? They would abuse soda if given the choice... there are some that would drink 60 a day if it were free... I don't want to supplement someones soda addiction :p There are cruiselines that have free soda... there is a cruise line out there for everyone!! :)

I understand that, but what I'm saying is, if a glass of fountain soda costs .05 to make, and so does lemonade, why do they charge for only the soda. What if there was a lemonade-addict? he gets off scott free.....I personally pay the money for the card and chalk it up to the cost of the cruise, along with the gratuities..... It just doesn't seem fair to this diet coke-aholic.....

I guess the bottom line is that the market will bear the charge, so they do it. oh well, here's another $40.

I think it has to do with what the market will bear. More people are willing to pay for a can of soda than would perhaps for a plastic cup of iced tea. It is also a branding thing you are getting a COKE not just some old fruit punch mix. I will pay $2.02 for a can of COKE when I want one. I will never be willing to pay $2.02 for a plastic cup of no name tea mix:D .

True, if they did give it out for free, you'd get flav-o-rite cola and the like.... I'm strictly a diet coke drinker, so let them keep charging so I get my diet coke.

now if i had to pay for pepsi.........:eek:

I understand that, but what I'm saying is, if a glass of fountain soda costs .05 to make,

It's not fountain soda, it's canned.

and so does lemonade, why do they charge for only the soda. What if there was a lemonade-addict? he gets off scott free.....I personally pay the money for the card and chalk it up to the cost of the cruise, along with the gratuities..... It just doesn't seem fair to this diet coke-aholic.....

I guess the bottom line is that the market will bear the charge, so they do it. oh well, here's another $40.

That's always the bottom line. You can no more ignore the laws of economics than you can the laws of gravity. If no one paid for the soda cards, they would either not sell them or lower the price to the point where they maximized profit.

I understand that, but what I'm saying is, if a glass of fountain soda costs .05 to make, and so does lemonade, why do they charge for only the soda. What if there was a lemonade-addict? he gets off scott free.....I personally pay the money for the card and chalk it up to the cost of the cruise, along with the gratuities..... It just doesn't seem fair to this diet coke-aholic.....

Carnival does not have fountain soda. They use cans. they open a can and then fill your glass from it and leave the rest for the next guy or for a mixed drink. Some have said (I don't know if it is true) that they have gotten flat soda because the open can has sat there too long. It doesn't seem like they would do that but I don't know for a fact either way. I don't get the soda card I only drink maybe 10 sodas all cruise so it is not worth it to me.

Archived