What to do about passports!

I keep telling my daughter to get a passport!! She has travelled to lots of islands (2 cruises, plus her future bil lives on St. John)but she keeps saying she doesn't need one yet. (She knows how long it took me to get mine). Well, she is getting married in May and will definitely need one for her honeymoon, that she knows. What will happen though, because her name will be different on her honeymoon? How does that work??? Thanks for any info.

Have her make her honeymoon plane/cruise reservations in her maiden name (the one on the passport) and then when she gets back send her passport for a name change. I believe if it is within 1 year there is no charge for the name change though you can find out definitely on the passport website.

Have her get her passport. Assuming her honeymoon is directly after her wedding, all her other ID's will still have her maiden name. Book her reservation in her maiden name and then get all her ID's including her passport changed after she gets back from her honeymoon.

For my DW, they just typed on the very last page saying "this passport was ammended" to show the new name, but this was done a while after we were Married.

On our honeymoon however, we had no issues because she did not oficially change her name until we got back.

For what its worth..

Have her make her honeymoon plane/cruise reservations in her maiden name (the one on the passport) and then when she gets back send her passport for a name change. I believe if it is within 1 year there is no charge for the name change though you can find out definitely on the passport website.

Thanks...that is really good to know!!

She will have no problem traveling in her maiden name as discussed above. The Passport office will print an amendment on one the last pages to indicate that the holder has changed her name. (Unfortunately, they printed it on the wrong page in my wife's passport, which has caused some very minor difficulties.)

That said, if I were her, I would order a passport sooner rather than later. The Passport office is experiencing some significant delays (sometimes 6 months) at present. Ordering sooner will allow her to correct any inaccuracies in the passport.

Definitely book in her maiden name, THEN change everything. I was married last September and just had my passport changed. Because I had it (the passport) for over one year, I had to send in my marriage certificate, passport and $67. I got a new passport and was renewed for the full 10 years.

Great advice and info everyone!!!!! Thanks so much. She better get a move on and apply now, her fiance, too. Why be stressed waiting for it to come in. They live in Philly so they can go right to the passport place. I still think you need to make an appointment-it used to be walk-in. In fact I'm going to make my son get one, you never know when a great impromptu trip will surface!!!!!

Archived