Is the Mendenhall glacier worth it?

desiray

I've been looking at websites and it looks as though we'll be seeing basically the same thing as we sail through Tracy Arm Fjord.

I was wanting to go on a whale watching tour and have been told that Orac Enterprises are the best. Does anyone know if the boat is noisy or not? It's not much less than the cruise line but like everyone says, it's smaller and more personable.

Does anyone know the difference between the 3 1/2 hour White Pass Scenic Railway ride and the 2 1/2 hour White Pass Summit Club ride?

Thanks for your help.

desiray

I haven't been to Tracy Arm Fjord, but from what I've read here, you may or may not get very close to the Sawyer glaciers at the end. We went whale watching in Juneau and were dropped-off at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. Mendenhall Glacier is worth the visit, and you can take a $6/pp shuttle bus back to the ship after you're done viewing it.

The roundtrip train to the White Pass Summit takes about 3 hours. I'm not familiar with the 2.5-hour Summit Club excursion, but guess that's through the cruiseline. We went with Chilkoot Charters on a 7-hour rail/bus excursion to the Yukon ($165/pp). I initially booked their 3.5-hour rail/bus excursion to Fraser, BC and back ($109/pp) before deciding to travel farther. http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

I've been looking at websites and it looks as though we'll be seeing basically the same thing as we sail through Tracy Arm Fjord.

You don't say when you sail. If it's later in the season, August-September, you could easily see bears at Mendenhall. The glacier also has a visitor's center with information about what you're seeing. There's trails for walking; a chance to see the landscape up close.

If you have something else you really want to do, and it's a toss up between that and Mendenhall, I'd say sacrifice the glacier because you're possibly going to see others. If that alternative means you're going to find yourself buying a bear pooping keychain amid the crushing masses in the 'Tee Shirt Factory', I'd say, what the hell, give the glacier a risk. :D

I was wanting to go on a whale watching tour and have been told that Orac Enterprises are the best. Does anyone know if the boat is noisy or not?

Orca uses fast jet boats to get out to viewing areas quickly. I've done it and don't remember it being particularly loud, but everyone has their own tolerance level. But once they're close to wildlife, they cannot run their engines. So it's very quiet. :D

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/webcam.html

If you haven't seen the link above, you may want to take a look. It is a real time pix taken every 5 minutes from the visitor center. You can see the walk below, with people on the path. Easy walking, unless you try to get out to its furthest point. I wanted to get as close as possible, but had to climb over some rocks and got pretty muddy. No too brite for a grandmom, but I'm a slave to a camera. There is one really pretty place for pictures just slightly up the hill. The path takes you about a half mile from the glacier, but it looks closer. Whatever you decide to do, it will be beautiful.

For people with a Tracy Arm itinerary, it is highly recommended to consider Mendenhall glacier IF, you want to see glaciers. Although not the most active, it is a sight. :) Are you on a short port time in Juneau??? You may be able to add Mendenhall on either end of a whale watch, consider a cab if time is tight??

We were on the Sun Princess last week. We did not get to see Tracy Arm, but we did go to Mendenhall. I would definitely recommend going. It's quite a sight. On one of the trails we saw 3 bears. One of the bears actually ended up on the trail with us. It was scary, but luckily, a park ranger was there and guided the bear away from us.

Jamella

I was wanting to go on a whale watching tour and have been told that Orac Enterprises are the best. Does anyone know if the boat is noisy or not? It's not much less than the cruise line but like everyone says, it's smaller and more personable.

Does anyone know the difference between the 3 1/2 hour White Pass Scenic Railway ride and the 2 1/2 hour White Pass Summit Club ride?

Thanks for your help.

desiray

I think it is totally worthy it. You may not see the sawyer glaciers at all depending on the ice condition in the water at Tracy's Arm. But you have 100% successful rate to Mendenhall glaciers. :D

I haven't been to Tracy Arm Fjord, but from what I've read here, you may or may not get very close to the Sawyer glaciers at the end. We went whale watching in Juneau and were dropped-off at Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. Mendenhall Glacier is worth the visit, and you can take a $6/pp shuttle bus back to the ship after you're done viewing it.

The roundtrip train to the White Pass Summit takes about 3 hours. I'm not familiar with the 2.5-hour Summit Club excursion, but guess that's through the cruiseline. We went with Chilkoot Charters on a 7-hour rail/bus excursion to the Yukon ($165/pp). I initially booked their 3.5-hour rail/bus excursion to Fraser, BC and back ($109/pp) before deciding to travel farther. http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

I checked otu the website but they did not list current prices. It said to call or email. I find that very strange.

I checked otu the website but they did not list current prices. It said to call or email. I find that very strange.

I know, and that's why I posted the prices for those two rail/bus excursions. The longest one to Carcross costs $219/pp.

In Juneau, we did Harv & Marv's whale watch and it was really great. THey dropped us off at the Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watch, which was really convenient, too.

The Mendenhall Glacier was magnificent to see, and I very highly recommend going there. I did not go to Tracy Arms, so I cannot compare. THe hiking trails around Mendenhall are nice, and abundant with wildlife. We saw a brown bear cub, tons of salmon, porcupines, etc.

We recently sailed on the NCL Sun. In Juneau we took the Glacier Express ($6 each way) and were advised by the bus driver (who was very funny) where to walk and that bears were likely in the area. Sure enough, after walking the Moraine Trail to the edge of the water (glacial ice all around and a good view of the glacier) we walked back and spent some time watching a large red salmon trying to swim in the creek below. As we watched, along came a Mama Bear (a Black Bear according to the guide, although her coat was brown!). She caught the fish (quite a drama!) and fed it to her two cubs who appeared as soon as the fish was in her mouth. We were right on top of the action and it was one of the highlights of a great cruise. That afternoon the Sun sailed all the way up the Tracy Arm and we got a great view of the South Sawyer Glacier and a glimpse of the North Sawyer Glacier... also fantastic, but as indicated it is not always possible to get all the way up to the area where the glacier is visible.

I hope your cruise is as enjoyable as our's was!

Linda

We recently sailed on the NCL Sun. In Juneau we took the Glacier Express ($6 each way) and were advised by the bus driver (who was very funny) where to walk and that bears were likely in the area. Sure enough, after walking the Moraine Trail to the edge of the water (glacial ice all around and a good view of the glacier) we walked back and spent some time watching a large red salmon trying to swim in the creek below. As we watched, along came a Mama Bear (a Black Bear according to the guide, although her coat was brown!). She caught the fish (quite a drama!) and fed it to her two cubs who appeared as soon as the fish was in her mouth. We were right on top of the action and it was one of the highlights of a great cruise. That afternoon the Sun sailed all the way up the Tracy Arm and we got a great view of the South Sawyer Glacier and a glimpse of the North Sawyer Glacier... also fantastic, but as indicated it is not always possible to get all the way up to the area where the glacier is visible.

Linda

I was on the same cruise and did see the Bears as well just think of all those people who spend $300-$500 to see the bears and see nothing and we spent $12.

As far as Tracy Arm we went on the Glacier adventure a boat that leaves before the ship and meets up at the Glaicer with the cruise ship got within 1/4 mile of both Sawyer Glaciers and even caught the north one caving I have pictures of both plus iceburgs and when I get time I will post some of them.

3dblouder

BTW I have been to Glaicers bay as well and and can't decide which is better there both awesome.

We just returned from Alaska and there was too much ice in the fjord to get close to the Sawyer Glaciers. Tracy Arm is beautiful scenery, but if seeing a glacier close-up and personal is a priority, it isn't the best spot.

Mendenhall is easy to get to with the blue bus for $6 one way. It was raining so I opted out of going and stayed in Juneau. My husband and his friend went, and saw the mom bear with her cubs. I was so disappointed that I hadn't gone.

We just returned from Alaska and there was too much ice in the fjord to get close to the Sawyer Glaciers. Tracy Arm is beautiful scenery, but if seeing a glacier close-up and personal is a priority, it isn't the best spot.

Mendenhall is easy to get to with the blue bus for $6 one way. It was raining so I opted out of going and stayed in Juneau. My husband and his friend went, and saw the mom bear with her cubs. I was so disappointed that I hadn't gone.

Welcome back! How was the trip? Hope you're planning on telling more about it.

I am in Juneau for the whole day; we've booked Coastal Helicopter tour in the morning (landing on a Glacier) and late in the afternoon, we're doing whale watching.

We have 3 to 4 hours between the two activitities; my questions:

a) Do we have time to go to Mendenhall Glacier in this amount of time?

b) Should be even consider going to Mendenhall G. since we're taking a helicopter ride and landing on one. Do you get a different perspective of the glacier by doing both???

:confused:

I am in Juneau for the whole day; we've booked Coastal Helicopter tour in the morning (landing on a Glacier) and late in the afternoon, we're doing whale watching.

We have 3 to 4 hours between the two activitities; my questions:

a) Do we have time to go to Mendenhall Glacier in this amount of time?

b) Should be even consider going to Mendenhall G. since we're taking a helicopter ride and landing on one. Do you get a different perspective of the glacier by doing both???

:confused:

You should be able to get dropped off at Mendenhall by Coastal, think (ask them). If you booked an independent whale watching excursion, you should be able to get picked-up at Mendenhall. Again - ask.

I haven't seen Mendenhall Glacier from the air, but glaciers look different from above than they do when you see the face from ground level.

Last year, we got very close to Sawyer Glaciers. But we didn't see a single calving while parked there for almost 30min.

On the Mendenhall trail, how close did you guys get to the bears? I do photography and was wondering what mm lens I would need to take along so I do not have to haul everything. I shoot digital with a 1.5 crop factor. Thanks.

We were within 50 feet of a mother black bear and her cub on the main road going into Mendenhall --a tour bus almost hit them. It happened pretty fast and they dove down in the ditch, but you would not have needed much of a lens. If you read through posts on this website and look in the Juneau paper, this areas seems to be where many people see bears. Even though I saw a sign(warning about bears) when we walked past the trailhead, there was so much traffic and people riding bikes and walking, I wasn't expecting to see anything and put the camera away after taking glacier pictures. I would hang around the area between the city bus stop, the trail, and the glacier with my camera ready. There are no guarentees with wildlife, but there have been frequent sightings in this area.

Well, I have a different opinion. Of all of the excursions we did on our cruise, Mendenhall (on our own) was the least impressive. Maybe b/c we went late in the day or took the wrong trail--but the glacier looked mostly like dirty ice. It was only worth it to say you saw a glacier close up. However we spotted a big canoe right up next to the glacier and that looked awesome. I thought Tracy Arm was absolutely gorgeous--my favorite part of the cruise.

1) We were extremely close to the bears. The little bridge over the creek(??) isn't very high and since the bears were right below us, the distance was quite small. The next day we saw a bear on the road coming back from the Yukon and that bear was just across a narrow two-lane road (we pulled over and shot photographs from the open windows of the car), so it is possible to get very close to bears. When I was in Alaska in 2000 I went to a Salmon Bake and the bears came out to lick the salmon off the grill. That time we were right on top of them since they were preoccupied with the salmon and we were able to get great photographs.

2) On the way to the salmon bake we flew from Juneau to Taku Lodge. That trip took us over the glacier and I'd have to agree with Nancy that glaciers look totally different from the air... quite phenomenally beautiful! On that cruise we also spent time watching lots of calving at Hubbard Glacier and I thought that was fantastic also.

3) BTW the blue glacier express bus wasn't running frequently the day we were in Juneau because one of the drivers was out sick. As a result, we took the Juneau City Glacier Express (not the regular city bus!) which is white and it was the same price ($6 each way) as the MGT blue bus. The driver was funny enough to be a comedian on the cruise ships. His name was Tom.

I have been to Mendenhall 5 times. 4 times we have seen bears. They are quite numerous when the slamon are running, which is from July 10 thru Oct. Last year in Aug., on the trail to the west of the parking lot, there was a bear 3 feet below us on the boardwalk eating a salmon.

I had a great time at Mendenhall last week. If you enjoy hiking, I would consider hiking on the west glacier trail, on the side of the glacier that few people go. It is a beautiful hike and you can get either right up to the glacier or above it. You will either need a rental car, taxi or walk about 1 mile from the public bus stop to the trailhead. But if you enjoy hiking, it is great. And fortunately no bears (I was hiking alone and saw enough bears last month at Katmai NP).

John

We took the bus for $6/pp each way to Mendenhall last week. It looks a lot closer than it really is and the ice chunks floating in the lake were cool too. We HEARD bears in the brush right at the edge of the parking lot and later that day found we had missed seeing them go down to the water by just a few minutes. We also saw a skinnydipper at the waterfall to the right of the glacier:p . My hubby spotted him first with his binoculars and then told me where to look for him!! Oh my!! We were happy with Mendenhall even after sailing thru Glacier Bay and seeing lots of calving at Turner Glacier (Hubbard was having a quiet day).

Archived