Sofa bed for 3rd person

mourne

Any of you well cruised persons out there advise me as to size and comfort of the sofa bed in an outside cabin (8126) on Mercury my son is hoping to join us in Sydney and he is 6ft + I have not seen him in 18 months and it would be lovely for him to join us, if Celebrity permits, but that is another story.

One celebrity agent says yes :) another says no :confused: also the price quoted to my travel agent by 'yes celebrity' is way above rate set by celebrity on there site for 3rd person in a cabin or indeed any of the American sites :eek:.

Any help appreciated

Mourne

If the sofa bed is the same as the one on the Summit it isn't very comfortable according to my 5'8" daughter. See if they have the egg crate (foam) mattress available to put on top. They do help. You can usually request one in advance of the cruise......if they have them. We have only had one on Princess, so not sure about Celebrity.

My mother, sister and I have cruised Celebrity in CC class three times using the sofa bed for the third person. The really problem is not the bed, but where to put the really heavy glass coffee table when the sofa is out. We push it all the way near the sliding glass door, but it made it difficult to get out to the balcony for breakfast - not much leg room between the sofa and the dressing table. We're not tall ladies - 5 foot 4 to 5 foot 7 - we fit just fine.

Another problem is the blanket and sheets are of less quality than those used on the twin beds. Our cabin steward did take care of us by bringing a down duvet and extra feather pillows when we requested them. Sometimes rooms are not geared for the third person - set with two bathrobes, two sets of afternoon hors d'oeuvres, etc., but those were all resolved after the first day or so.

Celebrity allows the third person - we've done it - but it would be less comfortable for a tall person.

Our family sailed on Millie last winter. We had two cc cabins and a suite. I can tell you that the sofa bed in the suite was un-usable. The attendents tried and tried to get the foot end to lay flat and it wouldn't. My brother slept in it for one night (with his legs up at almost a 45 degree angle) then they had to get a cot instead and shuffle around the sleeping arrangements within the group in the suite (b/c my brother was too big a guy for a cot). My brother said that it seemed the attendents knew from the get go that the sofa bed was bad--they were really pushing the idea of getting a rollaway instead.

I'm forever stuck on the sofa bed on vacations, so generally i'm used to their poor quality. Once on a trip to Tennessee I got folded up inside one when it decided it no longer wanted to lie flat. That was fun. However, on the Infinity this last summer i was so uncomfertable i couldnt sleep, my bed at home is quite soft and this was akin to camping on a hard lumpy spot. My dad ended up having to sleep on it so that i could function, he didn thave a problem with it hes a big guy (almost 300 pounds and 5-11) I guess it just depends on your preference.

We have a 2B Cabin for Hawaii for 14 Nights on The Summit

in Oct/Nov. We will have 3 of us in the Cabin, with a sofa bed

and 1 Upper Berth. Has anyone slept in the Upper Berth?

Donna

We took the Mercury in '03 and had 3 of us in balcony cabin. The sofa bed

is right in front of the window/door and it was very hard to get around it

to go out on to the balcony when someone was sleeping in it. As for the

coffee table we had it removed as it was just always in the way.

Thank goodness our 3rd person was a child so we could lift up the end of

the sofa bed and get around it.

I would thing 3 adults in the cabin would be hard.

fran

In our experience... he might be better off asking for the extra mattress for the sofa bed and then putting it ON THE FLOOR. Those beds are BAD. lol

Is your son planning to join the cruise in Sydney... is this part way through the cruise... are you hoping he can stay one night with you? He can certainly be added to the cruise as a passenger, but they don't allow guests onboard.

• 3 months later...

Another problem is the blanket and sheets are of less quality than those used on the twin beds. Our cabin steward did take care of us by bringing a down duvet and extra feather pillows when we requested them. Sometimes rooms are not geared for the third person - set with two bathrobes, two sets of afternoon hors d'oeuvres, etc., but those were all resolved after the first day or so.

Hi Cotton Ginny, are you saying that they will bring another bathrobe and give more hors d'oeuvres for the third person? This would be good to know. I am going with two co-workers on the Century next month, and I think we will have to draw straws to see who gets the sofabed. I suppose it would be more fair to alternate nights.

This from our families official sofa bed tester - namely me. I have yet to come across a really bad one. I have had a small one before - one of those single seaters. These ones are abit tight and not must room for rolling around on but otherwise I have probably been really lucky.

Archived