NYC driving Friday

andre2p

Hello:

I changed my mind about driving to NYC (from west PA) the same day my Jan. cruise departs. I want to be on safe side, and relax the night before the departure.

Wonder if anybody knows how bad would it be to drive to mid-town on a Friday late afternoon/evening. Hotel is the Doubletree at 569 Lexington Avenue.

If late afternoon is too difficult, I may just try to get there later in the evening. I drove to NYC (south side) some 10 years ago and still have some leftover mental trauma. I love NY though ...

Thanks,

AC

Hello:

I changed my mind about driving to NYC (from west PA) the same day my Jan. cruise departs. I want to be on safe side, and relax the night before the departure.

Wonder if anybody knows how bad would it be to drive to mid-town on a Friday late afternoon/evening. Hotel is the Doubletree at 569 Lexington Avenue.

If late afternoon is too difficult, I may just try to get there later in the evening. I drove to NYC (south side) some 10 years ago and still have some leftover mental trauma. I love NY though ...

Thanks,

AC

Traffic in Midtown would be busy well into early evening. Early afternoon would be much better.

Are you planning on coming in via the GWB, Holland or Lincoln?

Traffic should not be too horrible, as you will be heading opposite the get-away traffic.

Given my druthers, I'd take the GWB to the Harlem River Dr/FDR, to 61st st.

Hello:

Thanks,

AC

I just figured it would be nice to at least see Rockefeller Center's Christmas decorations since my wife and I have never seen them. We could see that even if we get to the hotel in the evening.

Any suggestions as to the best way to get to Lexington Ave. would be most welcomed!

I could also be convinced to reconsider driving the day before and just get there the next day for just the cruise.

All the comments have been helpful.

Thanks!

AC

Another option would be to stay at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St. That would be closer to the tunnel. I wonder if it is easier to drive there than Lexington (from points west). I am not too concerned about how good is the hotel since it is just one night and out. I just want to minimize the pain to drive there (Friday), and to drive the next day to the pier (Saturday).

Staying overnight in East PA is another good idea. Thanks.

AC

Are you planning on coming in via the GWB, Holland or Lincoln?

Traffic should not be too horrible, as you will be heading opposite the get-away traffic.

Given my druthers, I'd take the GWB to the Harlem River Dr/FDR, to 61st st.

i def wouldnt do the GW... i take that way home everyday and its always backed up for about 45 to an hour... i would try to do the holland

what is your starting point in PA...are we talking Pittsburgh? if so that's about 7hrs to NYC (no traffic). i'm assuming you are either driving I-80 or PA Tpk?

1) if you can spare extra time and $ drive into NYC thursday night so you have all of friday to sightsee.

2) rather than drive around manhattan, consider bus/subway because you will need to do that anyway, versus trying to drive to each place you want to see, parking just sucks.

3) the suggestion of driving halfway is a good one. then on saturday morning of your cruise...it's a straight shot into NYC...minimal traffic.

i def wouldnt do the GW... i take that way home everyday and its always backed up for about 45 to an hour... i would try to do the holland

LOL I agree with you but have gotten into heated discussions on this Board about this---if you listen to the traffic reports invariably the GWB is the worst. I remind people that the holland tunnel is the only one that prohibits Trucks entering into NY. Lets see if you get the same comments....

PS we used to drive all the time to my wife parents in Western NY(fredonia) going 80 to clear something and then up to thru the forest(and Warren PA) so I can tell you the time pretty well.....

LOL I agree with you but have gotten into heated discussions on this Board about this---if you listen to the traffic reports invariably the GWB is the worst. I remind people that the holland tunnel is the only one that prohibits Trucks entering into NY. Lets see if you get the same comments....

PS we used to drive all the time to my wife parents in Western NY(fredonia) going 80 to clear something and then up to thru the forest(and Warren PA) so I can tell you the time pretty well.....

Yep... my boyfriend lives in off RT 46.... (last exit on the tp)... HOLY CRAP.... i sit in the GW traffic everyday YES going NORTH for like half hour.... thats getting off the exit B4!! lol..... think about going over the bridge.. its going to take another hour lol....

Sometimes longer--

NYC experts:

The Lincoln tunnel exit is just a few blocks from the Holiday Inn at 440 WEST 57TH ST. Would taking the Lincoln be a very bad idea?

Thanks.

AC

:confused:

Its fine except during the evening rush hour and in the am rush hour...most of the time.

Archived