I need permisson from the following posters.....

Hi there,

I would like to use your pictures to create door decorations for my up and coming cruise and would like (need) your permission to use them.

maddogcruiser - Entrance to PR

luv2cruiseny - Legend Grand Turk

buyritetv - Liberty in Tortola

myras - Liberty at Costa Maya

I seen this picture and I am not sure who submitted it..

2736re2.jpg

And anyone that would like to offer a Bahama picture

Also I have a question for pierces. If I get permission I was told to change the pixies to 300. How can I do that? I downloaded Adobe CS3 and not sure how to use it......

Thank you all so much.

Linda

...Also I have a question for pierces. If I get permission I was told to change the pixies to 300. How can I do that? I downloaded Adobe CS3 and not sure how to use it......

When you create the file (File > New) for your door decoration, use these these settings:

original.jpg

Just copy and paste the the images into the new document. You'll have to resize and rearrange them, etc., but when it all done and ready to print, everything in the file will already be converted to 300ppi.

FYI...most posted images are set to 72ppi, which is optimized to what your monitor displays. When your printer or photo lab prints, it's usually at 300ppi or 240ppi. That's why they said to "convert the pics". By starting your new doc at 300ppi, anything you put in it will take on the same properties.

Hope that helps.

Dave

to use this picture:

Carnival Destiny in St. Thomas

2736re2.jpg

I have resized it for you to 320x240

The picture was taken Dec.12, 2005 from Paradise Point in St. Thomas.

Good luck with your door decorating. Post back with a picture for us all.

Happy Cruising!!

Jerry

You can view my pictures in the link at the bottom of my siggy

Jerry - I am done.. (as I pull all my hair out) I have no clue what I am doing. Only 1 of my pictures have the text I added and the fonts are all messed up now. Been up all night trying to make all my pictures perfect and a ream of paper later I am more frustrated than ever. The heck with this. What type of company do I look for in the yellow pages? I have about 6 pictures and need them to be 8 x 11 printed on a nice glossy picture paper and need 2 sets -what do ya think something like this would cost? The guy at work came over and saved them all to an Adobe file.. I think I am not sure if I should trust the sites out there with my money and if the pictures not come out right?? Plus the files are so large I am not sure I can even email them. They were burned to a disc.

Photoshop CS3 has kicked my a@@ :(

As always thank you for all your help.

kylescoolmom's hangs her head in disgust.... lol

Linda

Jerry - I am done.. (as I pull all my hair out) I have no clue what I am doing. Only 1 of my pictures have the text I added and the fonts are all messed up now. Been up all night trying to make all my pictures perfect and a ream of paper later I am more frustrated than ever. The heck with this. What type of company do I look for in the yellow pages? I have about 6 pictures and need them to be 8 x 11 printed on a nice glossy picture paper and need 2 sets -what do ya think something like this would cost? The guy at work came over and saved them all to an Adobe file.. I think I am not sure if I should trust the sites out there with my money and if the pictures not come out right?? Plus the files are so large I am not sure I can even email them. They were burned to a disc.

Photoshop CS3 has kicked my a@@ :(

As always thank you for all your help.

kylescoolmom's hangs her head in disgust.... lol

Linda

What, exactly is the problem? Do you see the text and it won't print? Describe the issue and maybe I can suggest a fix.

Dave

Good Morning Dave,

The text printed however the entire picture looked all distorted. Than they just vanished. poof gone. I should have locked the layer. I changed the pixies just like you said. Post 758 in my roll call looks great compared to what I am printing. Very frustrating. I even flattened my layers. Thinking this was the problem. Now I cannot make any changes and need to start all over. My BF seems to think I am making a big deal over a picture with a few lines of text for a door sign. However I am also going to use them for my scrape book. I am not good enough to know what questions to ask. All I can think of was set up margins and insert the picture into those margins and create a picture frame? Do ya think it I set the picture to be say 7 x 10 would work?

Thank you as always.

Linda

Good Morning Dave,

The text printed however the entire picture looked all distorted. Than they just vanished. poof gone. I should have locked the layer. I changed the pixies just like you said. Post 758 in my roll call looks great compared to what I am printing. Very frustrating. I even flattened my layers. Thinking this was the problem. Now I cannot make any changes and need to start all over. My BF seems to think I am making a big deal over a picture with a few lines of text for a door sign. However I am also going to use them for my scrape book. I am not good enough to know what questions to ask. All I can think of was set up margins and insert the picture into those margins and create a picture frame? Do ya think it I set the picture to be say 7 x 10 would work?

Thank you as always.

Linda

Are you using Photoshop CS3 fro a particular reason? In all honesty, a $700 production level imaging program like that is tough on a beginner. Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 is a very user-friendly version and is geared towards new users. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of CS3, but it's very easy to use by comparison and has a lot of power for a $65 program. I mean, a lot of power! It will do 99% of the everyday stuff people need to do to a photo. I end up using it most of the time instead of the full version since a lot of stuff is nicely automated and accessable. But, since you have CS3 and you're using it, here are a few suggestions...

Create your new image at 8½" x 11", 300 ppi. (8" x 10" or 8" x 12" if you plan on having them printed.)

Show the rulers (Ctrl-R) if they aren't already visible.

Click on the ruler and drag guidelines to ½" margins top, bottom and sides. This will help you to place your content

Open your first image you want to add.

Arrange the windows so you can see both.

Using the Move tool (cross with arrow, top right in toolbox), click on the picture and drag the layer to the new image you created. It should pop in at a fairly small size unless you downloaded a large version.

Use Ctrl-T to re-size the new layer (picture). If you hold down Shift while you drag a corner, it will constrain the proportions so the image will grow in all directions equally and won't get distorted. When it's the right size, double-click the layer to "set" it (apply transformation).

Repeat it with the other pictures until they are laid out how you want them.

Save your image as a PSD Photoshop file with all the layers still separate.

Go to Image > Duplicate and make a copy. On the copy (working on the copy in case you want to go back!), Flatten the image and start adding your text. When you're finished, make another duplicate and flatten it.

Try printing it.

If it worked, save the final copy as new PSD and then Save As a JPG if you plan on having prints made at Costco ($1.99 for an 8x10 or 8x12 in 1 hour).

Let me know if it helped.

Dave

Is this the kind of thing you are trying to create?

jewel.jpg

If so, I did this on PrintShop. It's way more user friendly than any Adobe product and costs $39.99 at Costco. I only use Adobe Photoshop 5 when I need something special. PrintShop blows Adobe away, when it comes to using text. If this is what you're trying to create, you can see about a dozen examples of what I've done at

http://community.webshots.com/user/jbond105 Just pick any of the cruise albums and view the first and second pages.

jbond - yeah something like the pic you posted. I am computer challenged. Here are the words that need to lay on the picture.

Cruise Critic’s Scrappynancy & Kylescoolmom

are Proud To Present A Cruise Of A Lifetime

The Carnival Liberty

September 15th - 23rd 2007

Friendships will be made, Friendships will be

solidified, Faces seen, Dreams reality

and Memories made

8 Fabulous Fun Filled Days with 5 Exotic Ports

Puerto Rico - St. Thomas - Antigua

Tortola - Bahamas

2736re2.jpg

Are you using Photoshop CS3 fro a particular reason? In all honesty, a $700 production level imaging program like that is tough on a beginner. Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 is a very user-friendly version and is geared towards new users. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of CS3, but it's very easy to use by comparison and has a lot of power for a $65 program. I mean, a lot of power! It will do 99% of the everyday stuff people need to do to a photo. I end up using it most of the time instead of the full version since a lot of stuff is nicely automated and accessable. But, since you have CS3 and you're using it, here are a few suggestions...

Create your new image at 8½" x 11", 300 ppi. (8" x 10" or 8" x 12" if you plan on having them printed.)

Show the rulers (Ctrl-R) if they aren't already visible.

Click on the ruler and drag guidelines to ½" margins top, bottom and sides. This will help you to place your content

Open your first image you want to add.

Arrange the windows so you can see both.

Using the Move tool (cross with arrow, top right in toolbox), click on the picture and drag the layer to the new image you created. It should pop in at a fairly small size unless you downloaded a large version.

Use Ctrl-T to re-size the new layer (picture). If you hold down Shift while you drag a corner, it will constrain the proportions so the image will grow in all directions equally and won't get distorted. When it's the right size, double-click the layer to "set" it (apply transformation).

Repeat it with the other pictures until they are laid out how you want them.

Save your image as a PSD Photoshop file with all the layers still separate.

Go to Image > Duplicate and make a copy. On the copy (working on the copy in case you want to go back!), Flatten the image and start adding your text. When you're finished, make another duplicate and flatten it.

Try printing it.

If it worked, save the final copy as new PSD and then Save As a JPG if you plan on having prints made at Costco ($1.99 for an 8x10 or 8x12 in 1 hour).

Let me know if it helped.

Dave

Thank you. Sounds like the fix. :D

How about something like this:

84635032.jpg

I couldn't use the photo you posted, because it was too small...so I used one of my own pics in St. Thomas just as a concept. It happened to have the Carnival Liberty in the shot...kismet!

I only did this version quickly at work using an 800x600 copy of the photo - so the print quality at 8.5x11 won't be fantastic...if this type of design looks like something you need or want, I could make a larger version and e-mail you the file completed to print (I can go up to 8MP).

Feel free to use the version I posted...it's only 800x600, but if it prints OK, go ahead and use it!

Glad to help. I'll leave it posted in my gallery until you confirm that you've saved a copy to your computer.

If it isn't a high enough resolution to print that large, I can recreate it using the full-size original photo, which is 3072x2304 pixels, which will easily yield a photo-quality 8.5x11 print at 270-300ppi. Just let me know!

Glad to help. I'll leave it posted in my gallery until you confirm that you've saved a copy to your computer.

If it isn't a high enough resolution to print that large, I can recreate it using the full-size original photo, which is 3072x2304 pixels, which will easily yield a photo-quality 8.5x11 print at 270-300ppi. Just let me know!

Wow!

Full-service posting!

Way to go Justin! ;)

Dave

Be careful, Justin. This could become a full time job! Hmmmm, not bad, how would you like to design 'door signs' for cruisers for a living? :)

Nice job!

And, Dave, how about a design for our Down Under cruises? C'mon, you can do it!!!:D

Ok Justin, Dave and jbond,

You guys have me curious and addicted.... I'd not thought of doing these things you have done here. But now that I've seen and heard of what KCM is interested in, I want to do it too:D lol........I've heard you all mention adobe photoshop 5.0, print shop and photoshop cs3. I had the trial version of adobe photoshop 5.0. Haven't upgraded yet. Was too busy to use it actually..... But here's my question. I currently have HP image zone that does some editing things but not this. I would like to get a program that can do photo editing, the poster type thing you guys are doing here as well as collages of photos also. And can the 8 X 10 pages with the editing that Justin did or the type that jbond did, can it be put into photobooks? I really like that idea. Is there a program that can do all that I mentioned? Can these same programs do photo editing that can then be put into dvd slideshows?

Ok Justin, Dave and jbond,

You guys have me curious and addicted.... I'd not thought of doing these things you have done here. But now that I've seen and heard of what KCM is interested in, I want to do it too:D lol

It can be done fairly simply...just takes a little practice. I've been doing flyers for my car show for 6 years, so I've gotten pretty quick with it.

........I've heard you all mention adobe photoshop 5.0, print shop and photoshop cs3. I had the trial version of adobe photoshop 5.0. Haven't upgraded yet. Was too busy to use it actually..... But here's my question. I currently have HP image zone that does some editing things but not this. I would like to get a program that can do photo editing, the poster type thing you guys are doing here as well as collages of photos also.

There are many programs that can perform this type of editing and text overlay, some better than others (you can actually perform a simple version just using MSPaint which comes with Windows machines, but it would just drop the text right onto the photo with no ability to edit afterwards). What you basically want is a post-processing software that can handle 'layers'. All versions of Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photosuite, and Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro can all do this, to name a few of the better-known programs.

I have Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro, both of which are fine programs that will handle 98% of what the big, complex, and expensive Photoshop CS3 will, and will be easier to learn. I actually end up using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) for my photo editing most of the time - it has a few more functions than Elements, and is just an easier interface to use for me. Since you can buy the full-powered versions of PSP for $50 or so, it's an unbelievable deal. I would heartily recommend it. Elements can be found around $100, and is also a well equipped system that can do much of what big brother PS CS can do.

And can the 8 X 10 pages with the editing that Justin did or the type that jbond did, can it be put into photobooks?

Absolutely. When working on a photo with layers, you generally save it in the program's own format - both Photoshop and PSP have their own file type that keeps all of the layers separate and does not perform any compression. When you want to make a print of an edited photo - such as the poster you created, you simply open the layered file, click on 'save as', choose 'jpg/jpeg' file type, and save it. It will notify you that the jpg version will 'flatten' all the layers - just say OK. Then your poster will be a jpg file, which is the mode most photos come out of the camera as - any print shop will just recognize it as a photograph, and print it exactly as you saved it...graphics and all! Note: it's a good idea to always use the best possible quality mode when saving as a 'jpg' file - clicking on 'options' before saving will allow you to set the quality to maximum.

I really like that idea. Is there a program that can do all that I mentioned? Can these same programs do photo editing that can then be put into dvd slideshows?

Check out Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements. They will take a little handholding if you've never used such an advanced system before, but it's not as hard as it looks. Paint Shop Pro will probably be a little easier to pick up, and has a very nice layout. Elements may be a little less intuitive, but there are tons of tutorials and support on the internet for it. Plus, you can always ask anyone here for help!

Be careful, Justin. This could become a full time job! Hmmmm, not bad, how would you like to design 'door signs' for cruisers for a living? :)

Hmmm...depends on the pay. ;) A little side-income sounds good...maybe my Cruise Door Sign business can pay for my cruises!

I need to scratch up $2,200 to pay for my upcoming November cruise...who wants a door sign?! :D

Archived