LGA to E. 50th then to Brooklyn Pier

vjblk

My sister and I will be staying a few days in Manhattan prior to our Princess cruise in mid September. I figured we would just grab a taxi at LGA to our hotel on E. 50th and 3rd. Any idea how much that taxi ride would cost and are there tolls involved? This would be on a Saturday around noon.

Also would it be best to just have the hotel get us a taxi to the Pier in Brooklyn? How much would that be and how long a trip? Or would a car service be better? How much would a car service charge to take us to Brooklyn? Not sure how much traffic there would be around midday that might make the taxi ride expensive. We're thinking of heading to the pier in early afternoon on a Tuesday.

Thanks for your help. Really looking forward to our 3 day stay in New York and our Canada/New England cruise on the Grand Princess.

50th and 3rd from LGA should be under $30.00 and no toll(the driver should go over the 59th street bridge) any other way is the long way. From 50th and 3rd to the Red Hook Pier should also be around 30.00 and the right way to go from the East side is also without toll. Take these directions with you because many cabs still don't know where it is.

the FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge take the Brooklyn Bridge go straight ahead not the first exit straight ahead to Atlantic Avenue (its where the street narrows) Make a right at Atlantic and at the end(under the Highway) make a left then the first right follow around to the entrance to the Pier- which is at Imlay and Bowne Street

If the Cab driver says its faster to take the East side Highway to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel--- he may be right and its a $4.50 toll...

once on the Highway in the early afternoon it shouldn't be that much traffic but in NY you never know.

You might be better off with a car service to the cruise terminal. Several people on the last few cruises have said that traffic was awful getting to the Red Hook pier if they went very early befire the ship was fully disembarked and they ended up sitting in traffic with the meter running in a cab.

If you take a cab, don't leave too early - if you leave a bit later to get to the ship (12:00 or so) you may be lucky enough to miss the traffic jams of people trying to get OUT of the port.

Thanks Willysgrandma for the heads up about traffic early in the day. We were thinking of waiting to head over to the pier after hotel checkout at noon or maybe up until 1 as I'm sure the hotel will hold our luggage for us. We usually try to get to the ship as early as possible but this time I think we'd like to stay in Manhattan a little longer as we don't get to New York very often.

If you don't plan on leaving before noon, you should be fine with a cab. Just take the directions - don't let a cab driver tell you they don't know where it is. Get in the cab and then tell them where you are going - they aren't allowed to refuse you. If they do, note their medallion number and contact the Taxi & Limo Commission when you get home.

I asked this on the Princess boards, so forgive me for repeating myself. Does anyone have a good suggestion on a car service that goes to the Brooklyn Pier. I understand they cannot always get a return fare so are reluctant to offer going to the pier....but what do I know on the west coast here where we are all married to our automobiles...never taking cabs or car services anywhere!

Any suggestions on reliable and reasonable car services from midtown to the Red Hook Pier in Brooklyn are most appreciated.

Archived