Shop Hours

bobbie_81348

We were wondering how late the shops in Juneau and Skagway stay open. We have a tour in Juneau and will not be getting back to the ship until around 8:00 with no time to shop before the tour. Are we out of luck being able to do any shopping while there? In Skagway we are renting a car and wondered how early we need to get back from the drive to Emerald Lake to be able to shop a little there. Is there any shopping at the pier in Victoria or do you need to go into town?

Thanks for the help.

Bobbie

Some shops will definately be open late in Alaska ports. There are no shops at the dock in Victoria. It's a 15-20 min. walk to the Inner Harbor, shuttle bus available for $6, if I recall correctly?? Also an endless cab line.

BQ's right; many of the stores don't close until the last ship leaves. (And there's usually at least one in dock until 10-11pm.) I had friends on a ship in May, and we were in the Tee Shirt Factory at 9:30pm. I'd say the smaller, locally run shops keep more traditional hours, but since the stores have to earn mostly a year's income in four months, they work overtime. And Skagway should be the same, since the 'shopping district' is nearly all tourist-oriented.

I was surprised that many of the shops in Juneau closed at 6:00. Some where still open but the nicer looking locally owned ones were closed when we got back from our excursion at 7:00. One that I really wanted to go to, the Glacier Smoothie Soap store was closed .... guess I'll just have to go back!

Archived