Midnight Golf in Denali

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

Are you sure this is still running end of season, when you are going??

If so, be well prepared, it will be cold. I've been to Denali Park many times in Sept. and have had snow, in the park. Dress in layers and have gloves. Plan on dusk, 8:30-9pm.

We have booked the midnight golf excursion in Denali? Has anyone been on this excursion recently? We will be there mid Sept 07. Thoughts, comments, suggestions. :)

This is the Average for 9/15/2007 from the Weather Channel.com

Date......Sunrise.....Sunset.....High....Low.......Record High /...Low

15.........7:19 AM....8:21 PM...54°F....36°F......68°F (1986)....15°F (1987)

This cruise tour might not be available in September.

I played at Black Diamond last Thursday night. We were lucky as last week was unusually warm, so that wasn't an issue, but it was getting pretty dark when we finished at 10:45PM. We were the last group on the course. You won't be playing at midnight without glow in the dark balls.

We did see an entire moose family in the roadway on the driveway of the course. They were very close to the 1st green.

Also, this is NOT a nice golf course. The experience and scenery were cool, but the greens are like most fairways elsewhere and the fairways and tee boxes are really poor. They charged us $65 for 9 holes, and that included greens fees, cart, rental clubs, unlimited balls and tees, a logo ball and logo towel.

In hindsight, we should have just paid $35 for greens fees and rental clubs. It's a short course that is easy to walk and there are balls to be found everywhere (because everyone does the visitors deal and doesn't look for lost balls). You'll just need one sleeve to start with and a few tees.

We did this excursion in May and it was very cold, rainy and windy when we were there. They picked us up at the lodge in a van and took us to the golfing area.(about 10-15min drive) It was also the same company that we did the ATV adventure through Princess excursions. Its a pretty simple 9 hole golf course, nothing real fancy. You get cart, balls, tees & clubs and go at your own pace. If there is a group they split you up so you don't all start at hole #1. At finish you'll get a gift bag with new balls, tees, towel and certificate. They have a little restaurant you can grab a bite to eat and they serve beer and sodas too.

My husband is into golf and this was more of an excursion to be able to say "hey, I've played golf in Alaska in the freezing a$$ cold and have a certificate to prove it!"

The ATV adventure through them was awesome! We had a ton of fun and would do that excursion again and again.

Have fun with what ever you choose and have a great trip.

Thanks for all the info from all of you .... we enjoy playing golf and even if it's not a great course (since we're hardly great golfers), it'll be an experience. I have winter golfing gloves which I hadn't planned on bringing but I think with the early morning tour, they might be needed.

Archived