Bedspreads-should come with Mr. Yuck stickers!

PoseidonGodoftheSea

My friend, who is forever disinfecting everything, has two girls that are sick quite frequently. My girls have hardly ever been sick, because I'm not constantly sanitizing everything. People need to built up immunities through exposure, not be "bubblized"! But...I certainly wouldn't want to look at hotel spreads under a black light!!!:eek: :D

This is a little off topic but on my last cruise with Hal on the second to last day of our cruise I reached in my pocket of the robe that I had worn all week and found a new sanitary napkin. Lets just say that I was not real happy when I showed the room steward. From now on I will probably request it be washed before I wear it.:eek:

That is gross! Got to know that the robe wasn't cleaned before your cruise! That is as bad as finding condom wrappers behind the headboard! Been there, done that! Ok, I can't help myself, got to say it, " at least it was NEW!"

Cheryl

for all the people that clean hotel / cruise rooms. It just totally grosses me out. I don't now why because bodily functions are a normal part of life. I just can't get over how many people leave there "remnants" behind!

Cheryl

P.S. I travel with Lysol wipes at all times!

What do you do at church or on airplanes, doctors' waiting rooms, restaurants, etc.? Do you bring a sheet, or do you just stand?

Yes didn't you see me at the airport with my sheet an flowers asking for a donation.

When I go to restaurants I try very hard not to look into the kitchen or the back garbage area too. It seems the less I "see" the better I feel.

Malta airport used to be the place to go for spagetti bolognaise. One of our party, a fussy eater, chose macaroni cheese. During the meal, after he went to the toilet we noticed a fly on his MC. Knowing he would probably throw up we picked it off and said nothing.

A mouthful later we spotted a second fly that had been baked in the MC.

We all through up, made our excuses and left.

It's no wonder viruses such as the Noro virus are spread so quickly. With all this sanitising going on your to germs is bound to be lessened.

I like things to be clean but to fend off germs you need SOME immunity.

'Clean meat never fattened a pig'

The latest thing on sanitisation and alcohol rubs it you also need to remove any contaminant. This means washing your hands in soap and water.

It was interesting the different practises between P&O and Celebrity. Celebrity provided both gel and wipes but not necessarily at the same time. The wipes can function as a removal mechanism.

P&O OTOH provide the gels but also have staff at each entrance to a food area who ensure that you disinfect. Celebrity relies more on its passengers.

I particularly like the proper towels provided on Constallation but curiously these were only provided in some toilets. Similarly some toilets had paper seat covers too.

Aw, JEEZ! GROSS!!! I guess all we can do is laugh and keep living. I remember giving my husband a lonnnggg lecture about bed bugs 5 or 6 years ago. I'm sure he'll forgive me any day now!?!;)

Happy (if not clean...) cruising!:D

Denise

I'm not a doctor, but I think you're more likely to contract something from fresh spittle than from old, dried-up "seed"...:cool:

Drew B - Honest to Pete, I burst into laughter! I think it was the "...dried up "seed"". I'm still laughing!:D:D:D

Luxuriate - Thank goodness someone else (you) said what I was thinking.:p

Disgusting but fun and interesting thread. I thought the germiest things in our lives were sponges (I don't use them!!) but....

Denise

[quote name='Pontius Navigator']Ever eat free peanuts or nibbles at the bar?

My sister-in-law, a policewoman, said that one bowl had been used by 21 men. Go figure :)[/QUOTE]

I always wonder about the salsa bowl at the Mexican restaurant. Don't you thin k there is someone in the kitchen just dumping the left-overs into a pot? Seriously, don't you think?

Cheryl- you are right I wasn't so upset about what I had found in the robe it was the fact that it was NOT washed between sailings. I wouldn't say that I am super phobic about germs but spending the week in a robe that someone else wore before me is a little much.

[quote=lola's mom;11337166]A catservant would know that laundering bedclothes is a way of life. I, too, live to serve 4 felines.

FYI - Bed bugs are on the rise in hotels. Saw a feature on the national news a few days ago.[/quote]

Bed bugs on the rise?:eek: EWWW!!

And believe me, I DO understand about laundry. We have a front loading washer which doesn't use much water so the cat fur didn't "wash" away properly from the bed clothes. We ended up with cotton sheets covered in a bazillion teeny tiny fur balls. YUCK!!! I solved the problem by changing from cotton sheets to only satin or silk (:eek:$$$:eek:) sheets, the fur slides right off. And the DUSTING/[B]VACUUMING[/B] (BOTH our vacuums break down every year or two:o). I try to keep a clean house but.... We have 3 longhairs, I don't know how you manage with [B]4!!![/B]

Cruise cabins may not be the most sanitary places on Earth - but at least it's NOT ME doing the housework!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

We just bought a new washer and dryer ... and I didn't choose the front-loader because I thought the opening was too small for the bedclothes. Good thing! Silk or satin sheets ... I would slide off too. You are truly a cat servant!

Ours are short-hairs - dear little critters. We bit the bullet and finally bought a Dyson vaccuum cleaner. 5-year guarantee - so I figure we are saving money. It does a great job. Used a 20% coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond.

[quote=lola's mom;11343974]We just bought a new washer and dryer ... and I didn't choose the front-loader because I thought the opening was too small for the bedclothes. Good thing! Silk or satin sheets ... I would slide off too. You are truly a cat servant!

YUP! They totally have my number - the little monsters!

Ours are short-hairs - dear little critters. We bit the bullet and finally bought a Dyson vaccuum cleaner. 5-year guarantee - so I figure we are saving money. It does a great job. Used a 20% coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond.[/quote]

NICE! I've been wanting to try a Dyson but my DH says we have to wait until the others are "beyond repair":(.

Denise

Ok Guys - the OP was on the right track with this subject.

I got the 20th anniversary issue of Conde Nast Traveler today.

Under: "Killing Us Softly: The Things we Never Want to Encounter Again in our Travels"

Item #2 - Bedspreads: Germ magnets or worse. We've all seen those Dateline specials.

:D :D :D :D :D

Archived