Questions on the Sydney Pass

starskyfan

Host Sheila......A question for you.

I have been up in the Sky Tower but haven't done the pylon (VERY bad knees and feet) or the Bridge Climb. What might I be missing--given that there are awesome views from the Tower--by not doing the Pylon? (My in-laws will be with us on this next trip and I want them to experience as much as possible--and they are thinking about doing the Pylon and/or the Tower.)

My dh and dd have done the Bridge Climb and DD wants to do the Sky Walk this time around...I think she'll be doing that one on her own. :eek:

Brenda,

I have bad knees, too and I DID it! Went slowly...there weren't any crowds to push me along and stopped to view the little museum and look at the pictures on the way. Also, when on top, there is plenty of time (and beautiful views) to rest up for the trip down. Take a sweater, it's windy and, depending on weather, could be quite cool. We loved it - my DH didn't have ANY interest in doing the bridge climb and I talked him into the Pylons instead. He eventually admitted that he liked it :)

Thanks for your input Sheila, glad to know you made it okay, and that you both enjoyed it. If my husband and I weren't growing old before our time, we'd love to do the bridge climb. His back has been bothering him lately so between the two of us we will probably get worn out quickly. I'm not too worried about the 200 stairs so much as I am the cumulative effect of 5 weeks of sightseeing. Even with the buses, I'm sure we will do a lot of walking in Sydney alone. If I can walk at all after the flight over there, that will be an accomplishment in itself! As much as I normally hate sea days, I think they will be good for us this time. Stairs are typically a must to avoid though so I can't use them on the ship as a means of exercise, like I wish I could. I have to suffer through the dirty looks when I get on an elevator for just one floor. But I have to conserve whenever I can. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. Brenda

My dh and dd have done the Bridge Climb and DD wants to do the Sky Walk this time around...I think she'll be doing that one on her own. :eek:

Ozland, I was just looking at that attraction tonight! That looks like it might be an option for us because it doesn't appear that it would be strenuous. I'm not afraid of heights, but I do think I might get a little queasy standing on a glass platform looking down. That would definitely be an experience. Sorry to hear you have problems with your legs too. I know it doesn't help, but I can sympathize. It certainly makes having fun challenging. Take care. Brenda

Ozland, I was just looking at that attraction tonight! That looks like it might be an option for us because it doesn't appear that it would be strenuous. I'm not afraid of heights, but I do think I might get a little queasy standing on a glass platform looking down. That would definitely be an experience. Sorry to hear you have problems with your legs too. I know it doesn't help, but I can sympathize. It certainly makes having fun challenging. Take care. Brenda

Brenda.......Even if you don't do "the walk" still go up in the tower for the views if time allows. NO STAIRS. The view is awesome. :)

Yes, the knees and feet let me know they exist! I was supposed to have knee surgery in a couple of weeks but then I broke my foot. The doctor won't do the knee surgery now. I may have to do NZ/OZ in a wheelchair at this rate.......but do it I will!!! ;) You take care too! (If we were on the same cruise, I'd ride that elevator one floor with you.)

Gail

The view from the tower is great. The difference with the Pylon or bridge climb is that you are right on the water whereas the tower is in the City.

You wouldn't be disapointed with any of the choices but to do both would be great. ie tower or sky walk, bridge climb or pylon.

I haven't been up in the tower for years. I might just go next week. Haha. Sorry I shouldn't rub it in.

There was a bridge climb ticket on Ebay last week. I thought I'd go again but it went too high for me (the price I mean) . LOL

Coming into Sydney harbour from my last cruise was fantastic. I had never seen the harbour coming in from the heads. Made me realize just how beautiful it is.

Brenda.......Even if you don't do "the walk" still go up in the tower for the views if time allows. NO STAIRS. The view is awesome. :)

Yes, the knees and feet let me know they exist! I was supposed to have knee surgery in a couple of weeks but then I broke my foot. The doctor won't do the knee surgery now. I may have to do NZ/OZ in a wheelchair at this rate.......but do it I will!!! ;) You take care too! (If we were on the same cruise, I'd ride that elevator one floor with you.)

Gail

Gail, as soon as I saw that tower I knew it was a must see for me! The skywalk though will probably depend on our luck with making reservations last minute because I'm not so adventurous that I'd want to do it in bad weather.

I hope you don't end up having do Australia in a wheel chair, but I admire your resolve to do so one way or the other. We rented a wheel chair for a couple of attractions when I was having a harder time, and I decided I won't make a very good handicapped person! This is one reason we are trying to do as much as we can now. Obviously there are some things I just can't do now, but by the time we retire I'm sure there will be even more. Brenda

The view from the tower is great. The difference with the Pylon or bridge climb is that you are right on the water whereas the tower is in the City.

You wouldn't be disapointed with any of the choices but to do both would be great. ie tower or sky walk, bridge climb or pylon.

Coming into Sydney harbour from my last cruise was fantastic. I had never seen the harbour coming in from the heads. Made me realize just how beautiful it is.

Thanks sayaguru! Closeness to the water is the obvious and I should have thought of that. :o The tower is just higher and has the 360 degree view (and of the water too--just a little further back and not right on top of it). I think I'll go for the *no stairs* option of the tower.

I have sailed into Sydney Harbour a couple of times back when I lived there......went back and forth to New Zealand. We used to live on top of Middle Head and had a great view of the Harbour and the ships coming and going. I have seen lots of harbours since then but nothing to beat Sydney's. (Of course, I might be a little biased, having been born and raised in Sydney. ;))

• 2 weeks later...
There is a cheaper ticket for around $30 (Red Pass) which doesn't allow you to go to Manly or Paramatta on the ferry. If you were staying within a certain area, then this would be the pass to buy. Jennie

I just came across this thread and am very glad I did - especially the info on the colored passes. Thanks everyone.

Jennie, or anyone else, do you know what the round trip ferry fare to Manly and Paramatta costs as we will probabaly be going to both, and it might help us in deciding on Red or Green.

Brenda - what part of Maryland are you from? Although my address on line is S. Florida, I also live in Timonium for half the year. We're going to Oz next Saturday, so if you would like some feedback I can let you know when we get back in October. You are really organized - starting your planning over a year in advance! Good for you.

The rivercat to Parramatta is $7.70 each way The Ferry to Manly is $6.40 The Jetcat to Manly is $8.20 each way. Here is a link for all govt transport. Click on the quick links for bus ferry etc. http://www.ppt.nsw.gov.au/transport_page.htm#rivercat I hope the weather gets better by next weekend. Last week it was hot then the day Spring arrived (Sept 1) it turned cold. How long do you have in Sydney?

Brenda - what part of Maryland are you from? Although my address on line is S. Florida, I also live in Timonium for half the year. We're going to Oz next Saturday, so if you would like some feedback I can let you know when we get back in October. You are really organized - starting your planning over a year in advance! Good for you.

Hi ShamrockFL,

We are from Pasadena which is a little bit south of Baltimore and Timonium is a little bit North. It's probably only about 30 miles from us and we have never been there! I know they have a State Fair every year. I figure one of these days we will get there because they usually have a country music act, but it has never worked out. The most we have seen of Timonium is the signs when we drive up to Pennsylvania.

Yes, I think I have a sickness about planning, and the sad thing is, no matter how prepared I try to be there is always something I miss. This will be such a huge trip though that I want to make sure we get the most out of it. Any tips you have when you get back I'd love to hear. I hope you have a great time! We are spending a week in the Florida Keys next month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hurricanes stay away.

Brenda

Gail, as soon as I saw that tower I knew it was a must see for me! The skywalk though will probably depend on our luck with making reservations last minute because I'm not so adventurous that I'd want to do it in bad weather.

Brenda, I don't think there are any problems with buying tickets on the day. I think that is what most people do anyway. The main advantage of buying them online in advance is that you get a 10% discount, but that doesn't apply to concessions or seniors.

Brenda, I don't think there are any problems with buying tickets on the day. I think that is what most people do anyway. The main advantage of buying them online in advance is that you get a 10% discount, but that doesn't apply to concessions or seniors.

Thanks Mochuck, that is good to know. I had my husband take a look at it and he is definitely interested as well. We will probably try to do it right off in case there are any problems we can go back a different day. The more research I do, the more jealous I become of all you lucky people that live in Sydney. It looks beautiful and with so much to do. I was checking out the wikipedia page on Sydney beaches and couldn't believe how many there were, and they all look wonderful. Wish I'd have time to see them all. I've never seen anything like those Rock Pools before and it seems like most of the beaches have them. Very interesting! Brenda

Just to clarify, I was only talking about the skywalk. Yes, we have great beaches. I would recommend Manly, simply because getting there by ferry is half the fun and you get a good look at the harbour.:)

The rivercat to Parramatta is $7.70 each way The Ferry to Manly is $6.40 The Jetcat to Manly is $8.20 each way. Here is a link for all govt transport. Click on the quick links for bus ferry etc. http://www.ppt.nsw.gov.au/transport_page.htm#rivercat I hope the weather gets better by next weekend. Last week it was hot then the day Spring arrived (Sept 1) it turned cold. How long do you have in Sydney?

Thanks for all the information. I would think we should go for the Green Passes. Hope the weather takes another good turn soon. We arrive in Sydney this Monday and leave Saturday morning, 22nd.

Hi ShamrockFL,

We are from Pasadena which is a little bit south of Baltimore and Timonium is a little bit North. It's probably only about 30 miles from us and we have never been there! I know they have a State Fair every year. I figure one of these days we will get there because they usually have a country music act, but it has never worked out. The most we have seen of Timonium is the signs when we drive up to Pennsylvania. Brenda

Ah! Beautiful Pasadena. I used to work in Curtis Bay and my son-in-law is with the AA police, so I know the area pretty well. You are within 1/2 a mile of me when you pass by on I-83 to PA. - next time you should wave! Will keep you posted on our stay in Oz. Ironically we haven't been down to the FL Keys but hope to next year. I believe it is beautiful especially Key West, but that's probbaly a 6 hour drive from our area and very expensive. Yes it's still hurricane season and it's pretty well a crap-shoot as to whether one will arrive while you're there - hope not - they are just no fun at all! Since we haven't had any yet this year - the law of averages isn't in your favor. Just kidding - as you know they are a very unlikely event anyhow. Have a great time.

Yes it's still hurricane season and it's pretty well a crap-shoot as to whether one will arrive while you're there - hope not - they are just no fun at all! Since we haven't had any yet this year - the law of averages isn't in your favor. Just kidding - as you know they are a very unlikely event anyhow. Have a great time.

Yes I know, we are taking our chances. If there is a threat though we will be the first to volunteer to take an early flight out. We don't have enough vacation time left this year to chance getting stuck down there! We've only been to Key West once on a brief cruise stop, and we are really looking forward to going back. But yes, hotels are expensive and we used a timeshare week so we are going cheap. Cheap flights, cheap room, and a cheap car rental:) That's all we could afford with saving for the Australia trip! This will be our last weeklong vacation until that trip so we need to make the most of it. We will be staying in Islamorada, but plan to drive into Key West for 2 or 3 of the days. Brenda

Archived