Questions on the Sydney Pass

starskyfan

I did a search but couldn't find any threads on the Sydney Pass, although I'm sure it must have been discussed somewhere. We are planning on spending anywhere from 3 to 6 nights in Sydney before our cruise and this seems like an easy way to be sure we can get around without having to pay individually for everything. Did anyone feel cheated or feel they would have made out better just paying as you go? Was there something that wasn't included that you expected or that was a disappointment? They mention "discounts" for attractions but I don't see any info on what or how much they are. It even includes the airport link but unless my hotel was right at one of the stops that might be more of a hassle than it's worth. Any experiences or information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brenda

Brenda, my hubby and I were in Sydney for 5 days over the Christmas holiday. We bought the 3-day Sydney Pass that included the Explorer buses and we were so glad we did. Yes, it was pricey, but my husband, due to a foot strain, wasn't able to walk long distances, and so we made the most of our passes. We did both Explorer routes, used the train several times, rode buses and ferries. The transit workers were all very friendly and helpful as well, which made it all the nicer.

Have a wonderful time in Sydney!

Becki

We were up in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and we bought the Green bus, train and ferry pass for 7 days at $41 each for which meant we could use the ferry as far away Parramatta.

Even though we only used them for 3 days, we more than got our money's worth and we were able to pass them on to a couple of tourists whom we met in a cafe one night. They were thrilled to receive the free passes which enabled them to be used for another 4 days.

Jennie

We were up in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and we bought the Green bus, train and ferry pass for 7 days at $41 each for which meant we could use the ferry as far away Parramatta.Jennie

I had not heard of the Green bus Jennie.Is that part of the Sydney Pass.

It is certainly much cheaper as the 7 day Sydney Pass is $165.00 on their web site.

http://www.sydneypass.info/prices/

SydneyPass

3 day pass

- any three days over a eight calendar day period $110.00

5 day pass

- any five days over a eight calendar day period $145.00

7 day pass

- any seven days over a eight calendar day days $165.00

Travel Passes

Travel passes cover train, bus and ferry services, or, alternatively, bus and ferry services only, within the chosen area for a period of seven days. If the pass is purchased after 3pm, the ticket may be used on that day, plus seven more days.

The Red Travel Pass gives unlimited travel in City Rail services in the area bounded by Bondi Junction, Rockdale, Bardwell Park, Canterbury, Croydon, and Chatswood stations. Plus unlimited travel on Sydney Buses in the red area – zones 1, 3, 6 and 7 as well as unlimited travel on Sydney Ferries inner harbour services (the inner harbour includes all wharfs except Manly, beyond Meadowbank and premium services).

The Green Travel Pass increases the bus and city rail area and provides unlimited travel on all Sydney Ferries, excluding Manly JetCats and premium services. Yellow Travel Pass , Pink Travel Pass and Purple Travel Pass increase the area of both bus and train but does not include the Manly JetCats and premium services.

The Blue Travel Pass (same as red area, but trains not included) and the Orange Travel Pass (same as green area, but trains not included) and the Pittwater Travel Pass (all buses and ferries; no trains) for details and transport information call 131 500.

lots more info

http://www.sydneyeguide.com/tickets.php

jease even I learnt something there. thanks for that tip Aussie Gal

i'm lazy, work usually cabs me everywhere in Sydney

:)

Jennie, that sounds like a good deal compared to the Sydney Pass. Looks like I have more research to do. I'm not sure what I'll really need but I should have plenty of time to figure it out. The hard part of going new places is that no matter how much research you do, you really don't have a clue until you've been there and done it. I try to plan ahead as much as possible since you just never know if you'll ever get to go back again.

Thanks to all that have replied. I've not heard any complaints yet on the public transportation so that is a good thing! Sounds like getting around Sydney should be pretty easy. I'm not real experienced in that sort of thing though, (actually, no experience) but hopefully my husband will have the system figured out in no time. It's got to be better than letting him drive on the wrong side of the road, he's dangerous enough on the right side! Brenda

Here is the link to Sydney Ferries. We weren't worried about admission fees and therefore took the normal 7 day pass. The Sydney Observatory is free and is well worth visiting.

We did pay to go into old Government House in Parramatta but it was a wonderful tour with a guide and only cost us around $10 each. The Green Pass is so much cheaper than the pass that is offered to Tourists.

http://www.sydneyferries.info/tickets-fares/commuters/travelpass.htm

Transport in Sydney is so easy to use especially if you have a pass. Just put your ticket in the slot and the gates open for you.

Jennie

Thanks Lynne, I just sent you an email and definitely appreciate your offer. Do you want to give your opinion on the transportation around Sydney and what you think is best for a tourist? Thought I'd ask here rather than privately for the benefit of others that might read this thread. I'm sure everyone would appreciate the input from a local.

Jennie, I have noticed that there might be a few places not covered on some of these passes, which is why it gets complicated figuring it out. I think I probably need to research the attractions in depth first to determine what it's likely we will have time for or want to do. The big problem I can see is that we won't have time for everything. But it definitely looks like there is a pass for just about everything and now the sites are all bookmarked and ready when I am.

Thanks again to all, Brenda

As far as I can see, the main difference between the Sydneypass and the Greenpass that Aussie Gal mentioned, is that the Sydney pass allows you on to the Sydney Explorer and Bondi Explorer buses (plus the HUGE cost difference).

The benefit of the Explorer buses is that you get commentary which would probably be quite helpful to a stranger to the city. Having said that, if you have a fairly good idea of what you want to see and where you want to go you should get the Green pass because you can go anywhere in Sydney on it and it is much cheaper.

The money you save would probably pay for a trip on the Explorer Bus and then you would still have money over as I think the Tourist pass is well over $100. This is a difference over $60+ which will certainly take you into a lot of attractions.

Also, how much time will you have in Sydney to be able to see everything. As I mentioned we had 3 full days and in that time, we spent more than the $41 in ferry rides, bus rides and train trips. It is certainly good value. There is a cheaper ticket for around $30 (Red Pass) which doesn't allow you to go to Manly or Paramatta on the ferry. If you were staying within a certain area, then this would be the pass to buy.

Jennie

As far as I can see, the main difference between the Sydneypass and the Greenpass that Aussie Gal mentioned, is that the Sydney pass allows you on to the Sydney Explorer and Bondi Explorer buses (plus the HUGE cost difference).

The benefit of the Explorer buses is that you get commentary which would probably be quite helpful to a stranger to the city. Having said that, if you have a fairly good idea of what you want to see and where you want to go you should get the Green pass because you can go anywhere in Sydney on it and it is much cheaper.

This is a good point. I do recall that they mentioned a commentary with the SydneyPass bus. I'm sure this would be very interesting, but as hard as I try to pay attention, I have a bad habit of zoning out tour guides. I'm sure the extra money will be better spent someplace else. Thanks!

The money you save would probably pay for a trip on the Explorer Bus and then you would still have money over as I think the Tourist pass is well over $100. This is a difference over $60+ which will certainly take you into a lot of attractions.

Also, how much time will you have in Sydney to be able to see everything. As I mentioned we had 3 full days and in that time, we spent more than the $41 in ferry rides, bus rides and train trips. It is certainly good value. There is a cheaper ticket for around $30 (Red Pass) which doesn't allow you to go to Manly or Paramatta on the ferry. If you were staying within a certain area, then this would be the pass to buy.

Jennie

For sure we plan on at least 3 nights in Sydney, with a possibility of 6 depending on when we get our flight out of here. We are on the East coast so we have considered a one night stop in LA. I think we are leaning towards jut getting over there as soon as possible though and do our recovering in Sydney. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure we will want to do Manly beach so the green pass would probably suit us best. We are considering a day in the Blue Mountains too, so that will take a day away from Sydney. That's another good reason to skip LA. I just can't believe our cruise is 14 months away, but at least it gives me plenty of time to plan. Maybe too much time:)

Great info from AussieGal.

I would go with that pass.

You can get to a lot of places using the pass. The zoo, Manly beach, all the city sights.

The Sydney explorer is obviously targetted at tourists- hence the price.

I will reply to your Email about places you might be interested in visiting.

Have a look at this site fo some ideas.

http://www.whats-on-in-sydney.com.au/

It is great to hear that you are coming to Syd - Aust is really the best place in the world. LA is so worth skipping - trust me!

I agree with Aussie Gal, skip the tourist pass as the colour coded passes (there are different colours depending on how wide the radius that you plan to travel is) is much better. While the explorer buses are FAB (my dad is a retired driver of the buses), you can get by without them.

Here is my list of must - see things to do in Syd, and around syd.

In Syd

* Fort Dennison - this is the fort that is in the middle of the harbour. The tours run a couple of times a day, but make sure you go on the tour at lunch time as at 1pm each day they fire the canon. On the 50s and 60s this help set the clocks of Sydney so they still do it as a tradition. Ferries leave from Circular Quay. There is a cost.

* Art Gallery of NSW - this has early art that is quintessantially Australian, as well as famous modern artists. It is free.

* Tour of the Sydney Opera House. This is a behind the scenes tour and you visit the main places, as well as the bowels. This is very historic and interesting. Cost involved.

* Splurge and have lunch at the ARIA restaurant. This is directly opposite the opra house and lunch is a cheap alternative to dinner. Service is wonderful and food is 5*. Expect to pay AU$80 per person with a glas sof wine, three courses. I think it is cheap by international standards. ;)

* Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon tour. Walk across the bridge to the Nth side and you can climb the pylon. It is interesting and noone seems to know about it, so it is never busy. Small cost ($2?? per person?)

* As Aussie Gal suggests - the Syd Observatory - Sth end of the SHB. Free

* Sydney Barracks. Great trip - small cost.

* Self guided tour of the Rocks. This is a great afternoon walk, there are amazing little shops and nooks and crannies, and the views are always great. Free

* Syd Botanic Gardens - I like the rose garden - the old scented roses are spectacular in the spring and summer. Well worth having a morning or afternoon tea on the grass. Free.

* Centrepoint Tower. Great as on a clear day you can see all the way to the Blue Mountains (if you have good eyes). If you plan to eat there, it is nice, but I prefer the Summit which no longer is the tallest building, but the room still revolves and is lovely at night time. Small fee to the observation deck.

Outside Syd.

* Blue Mountains. This is a great day out. Hire a car, stop by Leura Village, go thru the main town of Katoomba and walk down the giant staircase and take the worlds steepest train ride up again. There are heaps of touristy things here, it is great!

* Beach trip - whether you choose Bondi, Manly or even a trip to Bundeena in the Royal National Park (my personal favourite), you have to have a dip! BTW - the Royal National Park is the worlds second oldest, only two weeks behind Yellowstone...... darn that slow mail of the oldern days.

* Visit an animal park or zoo. Taronga is great (across from the Opera House, on the Nth side of harbour - take the ferry), but you may want to visit Symbio (at Stanwell Tops, sthn suburbs) or Featherdale (I am not sure of the suburb, western suburbs). Well worth a pat or a roo and koala. Fee involved.

I hope this has helped you with a few things to do in Sydney. Always remember that the outdoors is where the action is! There are also heaps of things to do which are free. When you get here, always speak to locals to get the best place to eat and go as the hotels tend to just give you a brochure or the standard answer.

Good luck!

I hope this has helped you with a few things to do in Sydney. Always remember that the outdoors is where the action is! There are also heaps of things to do which are free. When you get here, always speak to locals to get the best place to eat and go as the hotels tend to just give you a brochure or the standard answer.

Good luck!

Wow Aussie Cruisers, thanks for that extensive list! I still have to look up a lot of the things on the internet, but so far I know we'll want to do the Opera House, the Taronga Zoo (although I'm open to any we find), at least a quick look at Manly and Bondi beaches, the pylon bridge tour, and maybe a day in the Blue mountains. But there are a lot of other things on your list that sound interesting as well! I wish we were going this October instead of next.

One question though on the Pylon tour...I was under the impression that was a good alternative to the big bridge climb which I can't do because of a bad knee. How much "climbing" is involved with the Pylon tour? I can probably do a little, but don't dare to risk too much with my trip just starting out. I'm depressed about not being able to do the bridge climb, and if I can't do that either I will be really depressed.

Oh, as for LA, we've been there before, so I wasn't really planning on sight seeing. I was thinking of stopping a night because I think our layover is going to be about 11 hours and that's a long time to kill when we'll already be tired. Plus I thought it would help with the jet lag. As I said before though, I'd prefer to do my recovering in Sydney, I just hope I recover fast because I know we'll want to be busy every second we are there. Brenda

I honestly don't remember - only there are not very many. The pylon is not very high - it is not even comparable with the Bridge Climb - which takes a few hours and has many stairs.

here is the website that will give you all the info on what you want to know.

http://www.bridgepylonlookout.com.au

Go to the "Tourist Info" tab.

Take care!

Mark.

I honestly don't remember - only there are not very many. The pylon is not very high - it is not even comparable with the Bridge Climb - which takes a few hours and has many stairs.

here is the website that will give you all the info on what you want to know.

http://www.bridgepylonlookout.com.au

Go to the "Tourist Info" tab.

Take care!

Mark.

Thanks Mark, for some reason the link is not working for me, but I will keep trying. I've seen other sites with info though, but none that are too specific. I'm sure I will be able to do this though, and as always I will just let others go ahead of me so I don't slow anyone down. I can't wait:) Brenda

Brenda.......here's another link for you.....if you haven't seen it already. :)

http://www.sydney.com.au/index.htm

Thanks Ozland, I have seen it, but appreciate your posting it just the same. I have a lot of sites bookmarked for different attractions too, but now I have to go back and actually start reading them! It's quite obvious we won't have enough time in Sydney even if we stay 6 nights, but I know we are going to love it there. Brenda

Brenda,

I have bad knees, too and I DID it! Went slowly...there weren't any crowds to push me along and stopped to view the little museum and look at the pictures on the way. Also, when on top, there is plenty of time (and beautiful views) to rest up for the trip down. Take a sweater, it's windy and, depending on weather, could be quite cool. We loved it - my DH didn't have ANY interest in doing the bridge climb and I talked him into the Pylons instead. He eventually admitted that he liked it :)

Archived