Black Sea

CLOU

My documents arrived today. We are going on the Black Sea cruise leaving on September 15th. The cruise starts in Athens and ends in Istanbul, going to Nesebar in Bulgaria, Yalta, Sevastapol and Odessa in the Ukraine, and Constanta (or Bucharest) in Romania on the way. Other than the starting and ending points, to me this seems like a fairly unusual destination. Has anyone been on a similar cruise? If so, any recommendations?

Yes, we did this on the Diamond in 2004, same destinations. It was RSSC's maiden voyage there. Is there a spotlight of some kind? Ours was concentrated on history, around the Crimean War.

All the excursions we took were good, although a little regimented (still getting over the Soviet Intourist influence), but the guides were all very well informed.

I did do reviews of the destinations, they may still be around if you do a search. No doubt the situation in these countries will be quite different now, there was a fair amount of "straightened circumstances", not to say poverty, evident in Romania and the Ukraine.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

My documents arrived today. We are going on the Black Sea cruise leaving on September 15th. The cruise starts in Athens and ends in Istanbul, going to Nesebar in Bulgaria, Yalta, Sevastapol and Odessa in the Ukraine, and Constanta (or Bucharest) in Romania on the way. Other than the starting and ending points, to me this seems like a fairly unusual destination. Has anyone been on a similar cruise? If so, any recommendations?
:D Even though we board in Monaco on 9/8 the main reason we booked this cruise was to finally visit Istanbul after 50+ cruises...The Black Sea is just iceing on the cake...Rob and Teddy McGregor in cabin 930.....Maybe we'll meet aboard....:cool:

Yes, we did this on the Diamond in 2004, same destinations. It was RSSC's maiden voyage there. Is there a spotlight of some kind? Ours was concentrated on history, around the Crimean War.

All the excursions we took were good, although a little regimented (still getting over the Soviet Intourist influence), but the guides were all very well informed.

I did do reviews of the destinations, they may still be around if you do a search. No doubt the situation in these countries will be quite different now, there was a fair amount of "straightened circumstances", not to say poverty, evident in Romania and the Ukraine.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

:confused: Hi Wendy, Any don't miss items in Yalta or Odessa???? Thanks, Rob

Odessa struck me as a place you could walk by yourself. I had a specialized music tour that was laid on for out music spotlight. We went to several really beautiful palaces from 19th century. It was a center of European culture at that time. Lots of pretty, somewhat moldering architecture. And the Potemkin steps, don't miss them.

Yalta may be walkable, but it appeared quite spread out. We did a tour that included Massandra and Livadia Palaces--I actually preferred the former, the tours at Livadia (where the Yalta conference took place) were slow, and agonizingly detailed. Also saw the most hilarious tourist site, fluorescent plastic palm trees, at a lookut overlooking the Swallow's Nest castle. Yalta is spectacularly pretty.

Sevastopol was actually a big surprise, looked walkable and welcoming. We did a battlefield tour, which included the Panorama Museum, which is unique, it's like a diorama but better, of the Crimean War.

Oh, and you'll likely be greeted by brass bands in some of these places, as the ship docks, and often as it leaves.

Thanks for the input. We have a complimentary all day excursion in Odessa, so I think we will do that. We had decided to do half day tours in Yalta and Sevastopol, so it might be nice if we could walk around after the tour. It sounds like we signed up for a similar tour in Yalta. Hopefully, the palace tour has gotten a little better. Only about 2 weeks away. I can hardly wait.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Odessa I think I enjoyed the most, definitely a place I would go back. Be aware that there is, if not poverty, "straightened circumstances". You may encounter beggars, and you may encounter characters dressed in cossack costumes who would like you to pay them to take their picture.

Just returned from the Tauck trip to Istanbul/Black Sea on Le Levant. With them all tours off ship are included & they use outstanding guides so the experience might be a bit different. Nessebar is easy to walk around on your own, Constanza also. Yalta is very interesting, as is Sebastapol, especially the former sub base. The whole area is eye opening & those who had been before several years ago were amazed at the changes. The "fine arts museum" in Odessa was so sad, some real treasures, but the building literally falling apart. The windows in the "conservatory" celiling were missing & protected by old plastic bags. No humidity control or a/c. Look for the small Kandinsky collection. There was quite a fire just outside of Yalta and as we left port at 10 p.m. it was an incredible sight (and sad since the guide we had said they had no way to fight it.) Watch for some of the mega yachts of the Russian Mafia - wow! Don't plan on any shopping since goods aren't of very good quality.(Istanbul excepted) The exception might be hand made crochet (?) items if you like those. It was extremely hot on our days but will probably cool down before you are there. You'll feel very safe & welcomed wandering around but will attract attention. They're happy to take $$$ (and more happily Euros) at most places so don't bother changing money, except in Istanbul. You'll love the trip, it's like stepping back in time but with strong glimmers of changes coming. Enjoy!

I am very excited. I remember a band playing "Dixie" when we got off the boat in St. Petersburg a number of years ago. Unfortunately, I have been to several cities where I have been mobbed by beggars and peddlers at various tourist cites. I have learned to keep a close watch on my personal belongings. It has not prevented me from appreciating what the various cities have to offer. The museum situation is sad, but I also remember thinking similar thoughts in the Hermitage. it was 90+ degrees and humid, the windows were open and there was nothing protecting the artwork. Also, there were just thin chords keeping the public back from the artwork, and people were stepping over or through them and touching things. Sad! I was in St. Petersburg several years ago, perhaps they have learned better. Money for better systems was a problem, but they could raise the money by taking some of the work on tour and charging. However, capitalism was still new to them. We were planning on just strolling Nessebar on our own. We were also hoping to be able to navigate Yalta and Sevastopol so that after our half day tours, we could stroll on our own. we will play it by ear. Once again, thanks for the input.

Archived