Tendering in Tortola

nazarene-lady

Could anyone tell me how Princess handles tendering- Do they take people who book their excursions first? We want to do the "Baths" on our 11/3 sailing on the Crown Princess and not sure if we should do on our own or go thru Princess. On Royal Carribbean when you tender -it's a mad dash to see who can get out the door the fastest then they say they are taking Royal Carribbean excursions first-we just don't want to have that again- any help is appreciated.:o

If the ship is tendering in Tortola, the ships organised tours will be off the ship first. However, if you are an Elite member, just go straight down to the tender point and you'll go off on the first tender available. In any case, you'll have plenty of time to get to the Baths even if you are delayed getting on the tender.

Tendering in Tortola is new to me, I've been there lots of times and never seen it, even before the new pier was built.

Its a beautiful island, my DW and I's favourite port.

Jimmy

We did the ship's excursion and were glad we did. We do prefer smaller private tours, but were happy we went with the ship on this one.

The ferry picked us up directly from the ship and we ferried to Virgin Gorda where we were transferred to waiting vehicles to carry us to the Baths. Once at the Baths, there is a "guide" to tell you a little about them and give warnings of tight spaces and strong currents. The snorkeling was good, but the current and wave action is strong. My husband is a very strong swimmer and enjoyed himself immensely, but I am not a strong swimmer and found I was in constant danger of being swept onto the rocks where barnacles and coral abound. Even without snorkeling, I had a wonderful time. The Baths were beautiful and I took a lot of photos.

We were on the Star a couple years ago and were lucky to dock in Tortola. Took one of the ship's excursions over to the Baths. I agree with the strong currents! The "walk" through the caverns and trail to the other side was tight in spots, but well worth it. Had time to take a quick tour around Tortola and get some shopping in when we returned to the ship. Enjoy!!:)

The Baths are a must-do. I have been to Tortola and Virgin Gorda on my own and on a cruise. With the cruise I did the Princess excursion, and was glad I did for several reasons.

1. We tendered as a group, the group stayed together from the moment we gathered on the ship, until we were returned to the dock at the end of the excursion. (there was time afterwards to enjoy the town - Roadtown to be exact)

2. The ferry had the tour group on it. If something happened to the ferry, the ship would not have left without the group. You do travel from one island (Tortola) to another (Virgin Gorda) to get to the Baths. People have done this successfully on their own, but I just am not that daring I guess.

3. The ground transportation in Virgin Gorda was also well organized. These were open air trucks or buses, like the ones you see on St. Thomas.

4. Did I mention peace of mind? Basically, the ship excursion may be a little more expensive, but it is inclusive of your ferry ride, taxi ride, entrance to the Baths (it is a park and there is admission)... and a tasty beverage :)

Make sure your camera works on the day that you go, and if you want to climb through the Baths to get to Devil's Bay, may I recommend a Teva type sandal that is secured to your foot as there is some interesting climbing you need to do.

See http://www.thebathsbvi.com/ for more info :)

Happy Travels!

We also try do do private excursions as much as possible but we took a Princess excursion to the Baths a few years ago. There was too much transportation- ferry and bus invloved so we didn't want to chance getting back late. The excursion was well organized, the connecting transportation was very prompt but the tour guides were not very good. They didn't talk about the island or even the Baths. Once we arrived at the beach, one guide was going through the boulders with one group while the other guide was staying on the main beach. The first guide left without half of the group. The second guide seemed annoyed that she had to "make the trip down there" with the group left behind. We had a good time, but I think it could have been better. There was a very strong current the day we were there and many people were being knocked over in the water.

Archived