Costa Maya Out ????????

datonamanmike

I agree... it is very sad, but you are so right.

The reports out of Mexico is that Costa Maya (the port) has been "demolished" :( Demolished is such a hard word to swallow... and that any buildings that are left standing will have to be torn down due to the foundation damage. Note where it states only 6 pieces of the pier can be seen now :(

200.200._home_poresto_public_html_images_cancun_2007_agosto_22_chetumal_chmaja25.jpg

This is "loosely" translated:

MAHAHUAL, OTHON WHITE P., 21 of August. - The huracanados winds of “Dean” in category five, literally “disappeared” this developing tourist center, because the waves and swells that hit at dawn of this Tuesday, destroyed the rising tourist infrastructure almost totally in where the crown of this project, the wharf of cruises Mayan Coast, “it had left fact “pieces”.

The worse thing is than the hotel supply that is considered in approximately 700 quarters of hotel, would have to demolish itself because their foundations were exposed by the attack of the waves and mareja of the hurricane “Dean”, who also left exposed totally the roots of the palms, in some establishments was accumulated until a meter of sand, because in some cases the windows the floor evenness had left “”.

And it is that the team of reporters of BY THIS! of Quintana Roo, it stated that the impact of the hurricane “Dean”, “devoured” all type of buildings, destroyed part of the hard road, “took” the beach and in return it left thousands of stones, it ruined the wharf of cruises and it devastated with the 80 percent of the restaurantera industry, nautical services and hit to the hotel profession, without until this day they have been possible to quantify the damages, since this region is “guarded” by elements of the Navy of Mexico.

It is necessary to mention that although almost the totality of the buildings of concrete remained still on, his laying of foundations was washed and therefore it implies the total demolition, because they already are uncertain for his use.

BY THIS! of Quintana Roo, she was witness of the arrival of the first inhabitants of this zone who took shelter of the hurricane “Dean” in houses of relatives and friends who are in the community of Lemons, from where about noon began to arrive at Mahahual for the revision of the damages that caused that meteor in each one of the properties of its inhabitants.

Incredulity

The first settlers who practically arrived were stupefied when “a stone sea” gave the welcome them, and observed a squad of elements of the Navy of Mexico, that stopped on stones, also observed the destruction of which it was his operational base in this community.

The face of each one of the settlers who were arriving was more than eloquent, because with the hands in the head they only reached to say “simply is nothing”, “it finished”, whereas with face of uncertainty, incredulity and grief, was one that until some tear spilled when it resisted to think that the hurricane “Dean” practically left them without anything, as it assured the municipal delegate at the time of observing the damage that was caused and of that “it supposed” that someday it would happen to be in front of the sea.

One by one, or in small groups, including children they went arriving at the town in where personal of the Navy of Mexico, he gave some instructionses to them, mainly not to remove no from the properties until the verification has become physical, in order to avoid some complication with the law before the looting suspicion.

To arrive at the Mayan coast hours after the impact of the hurricane “Dean” is until dangerous before the great amount of trees and another type of vegetation that is obstructing the highway that did not suffer damage some and that makes difficult the circulation to vehicular until the entrance of the town, where “the Light” became the dumb witness from the damage to a section of the hard road, of the disappearance of the access road and of the beach that took the sea, whose destructive force by the surge and swell, it finished “taking” whole walls of concrete that were sent to the distance.

White Gerald Hernandez, Guadalupe Esquivel Tuz, Martha Isidro, Ignacio Romero, Carlos Register Ramon, own municipal delegate Margarito Mayorga May, and the harbor master Jorga Iván the Moral Avilas, was only some of the settlers who when arriving at the town in this Mayan coast, did not reach to give credit which they saw, since complete restaurants, palapas of all type of sizes, and until building of stony structure, did not offer any resistance before the attacks of the meteor that when entering this coast, “investigated” the foundations of different structures and it took them from his base, destroying everything to their step, in as much that others were seriously damaged in their infrastructure, since “Dean” “took” complete walls, or that succumbed before projectiles of the stature of “palms” that as “wild sows” finished demolishing some structures.

“To speak of damages is little before the almost total destruction of Mahahual, because the 80 or 90 percent of which it existed in restaurants, hotels and other services, they have disappeared or suffered some damage, because it turns out very impressive to observe this panorama”, it affirmed Mayorga May, at the time of noticing itself of the presence of the team of reporters of BY THIS! of Quintana Roo.

For the Moral Avilas, recently named like person in charge of the Harbor authorities, the swell of the hurricane “Dean” was fatal for all infrastructures, because “it unearthed” everything and it sent it far, and in the case of the building that until the last week was its center of work, it will be necessary an evaluation because the damage is evident.

“I already remained without offices. Only there is sand and more sand”, said.

While, as opposed to which it was his food business, the municipal delegate only observed by several minutes soon to affirm that “now only it is to apply to us with greater force of will and to begin again, because this someday had to pass by the location that have those establishments.

“Everything was not lost at least, is the house, but it is necessary to review it to see its conditions, and as well as I am, is most of the businesses whose proprietors will begin to arrive to verify the impact of a hurricane that the dawn of this Tuesday punished with all its forces to this developing pole.

And to make matters worse, also the wharf was lost, was the commentary of more of an inhabitant than between stones, woods, palms, laminae, walls of concrete and until turned around vehicles, “also the wharf of cruises took” and without that infrastructure the town would be condemned to suffer by that knows how long.

In the route that made the equipment of BY THIS! of Quintana Roo, as soon as it hit the hurricane “Dean”, the almost total destruction was verified, of which until the last week it was a mighty tourist development, and who today its panorama became radically, because the sea took the beach and “buried many things that now their proprietors after the valuation will have to rescue, as it were the case of Carlos Register, that he unearthed some of the crafts that along with sold four people more in a business than also it succumbed to the attacks of the hurricane.

The destruction that left the meteor was almost total in at least the first kilometers of infrastructure, whereas the network of the electrical laying was reduced to piles of damaged posts, many of which also as dumb witnesses gave the welcome him all that that she managed to arrive in this first day after the meteor.

Pieces the wharf of cruises

In fact, to arrive at this region is impressive before the wave of damages that caused the hurricane “Dean”, because he is well-known who by the swell the infrastructure in general of the wharf of cruises, including the dockage platform, was severely deteriorated, because to mention an example, only six “small sections” of the wharf could be observed at a distance, since according to that Víctor said to be called Baptist, were affected around 300 meters of that structure.

It narrated to BY THIS! of Quintana Roo, that along with three people remained protected more in an area of the port, in where “not even we wanted to show” before “the howl” of the hurricane “Dean” who let feel his greater force about the three and average or four in the morning of this Tuesday.

“We did not want nor to show itself. Everything was tronidos and to rugir of the sea and the wind, and we only listened as they fell and the things were pounded, but never wanted to see, but until already everything was past, we verified the destruction of the infrastructure, that we will begin to recompose as soon as they issue the order, but is lamentable and impressive what it was of everything what existed”.

(Víctor Fields)

Thank you for that translation, Lucy, no matter how ``loose'' it is.

As a writer and journalist, the words that stand out to me are the howl of hurricane Dean.

A hurricane is truly a ``howl,'' starting long before it hits as it sends out its windy warning of possible destruction. And the howl of the hurricane is too often heard long after the winds and rain have left.

May all of us who have loved Majauhal and the people of Majuahal hear and understand that howl and do what we can for the people who have lived there and made that small village their home.

Dianne

Thank you for that translation, Lucy, no matter how ``loose'' it is.

As a writer and journalist, the words that stand out to me are the howl of hurricane Dean.

A hurricane is truly a ``howl,'' starting long before it hits as it sends out its windy warning of possible destruction. And the howl of the hurricane is too often heard long after the winds and rain have left.

May all of us who have loved Majauhal and the people of Majuahal hear and understand that howl and do what we can for the people who have lived there and made that small village their home.

Dianne

I wish I could take credit!! LOL! I just used an online website translation tool!! I just pray that we can all get back there as soon as possible and spend lots of money to help them out...

I wish I could take credit!! LOL! I just used an online website translation tool!! I just pray that we can all get back there as soon as possible and spend lots of money to help them out...

Doesn't matter how you got it translated, I just appreciate you got it done for all of us.

:)

Dianne

I would guess that Carnival Valor and Carnival Legend will change to have similar itineraries for the next few weeks at a minimum. Where the Legend will substitute Roatan in the place of Costa Maya and the Valor will substitute Cozumel for Costa Maya. Making both cruises to stop at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. That would make only one port change for both cruises at ports that are near the original Western Caribbean routes. Then perhaps in a little while they will change one or the other itineraries to make them unique, but I think that is the quick fix they might do. Purely speculation but would be the easiest adjustment for Carnival if they decide to substitute a port rather than add a day at sea. Not that it matters, I will have a good time no matter what.

Anyone know a time frame to expect an annoucement from Carnival about itenerary changes? Costa Maya is on the list of ports for our Dec cruise. I know not to expect anything yet as far as alternative plans, but was wondering when we might know something.

The below statement came from a link to an article found on the home page of CruiseCal.com .

"Costa Maya officials are currently meeting with cruise lines with previously scheduled port calls to reevaluate schedules. Costa Maya hopes to see a speedy recovery and have cruise ships calling back to the port as early as mid 2008."

Any idea where Carnival Glory, sailing 8/25 will be going in place of Costa Maya? The original ports were to be Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau.:confused:

No word yet - Carnival's saying there's "no itinerary change at this point", which of course we know is wrong.

Belize might still be on the list, as well as Cozumel - and they may just sub a port for Costa Maya or give us an extra day @ sea.

I'm on this sailing too, with a group of friends - I'm really looking forward to it!

No word yet - Carnival's saying there's "no itinerary change at this point", which of course we know is wrong.

Belize might still be on the list, as well as Cozumel - and they may just sub a port for Costa Maya or give us an extra day @ sea.

I'm on this sailing too, with a group of friends - I'm really looking forward to it!

It would be great if we get to go to Roatan! This is my first cruise and my boyfriend's 3rd. Also, our first vacation together ever and during my birthday! :D

Anyone know a time frame to expect an annoucement from Carnival about itenerary changes? Costa Maya is on the list of ports for our Dec cruise. I know not to expect anything yet as far as alternative plans, but was wondering when we might know something.
I'd like to know too, since we will be sailing this Sunday!!

Information continues to trickle in about damage to Costa Maya from Hurricane Dean, which collided with the Mexican coast early Tuesday morning as a Category Five storm.

What we do know is this: The latest from Costa Maya is that more than 50 percent of the pier has been destroyed by Dean. Rebuilding will required a multi-million dollar investment, and it will be a minimum of six months before cruise ships will return to the port. We'll know more about the fate of the area as residents, business owners and government crews return today to assess the damage.

And now, courtesy of Julie Minter, we have more details -- this time on the nearby fishing village of Majahual. Just a five minutes cab ride from the pier at Costa Maya, the little town has become a popular destination for lunching, beach bumming and souvenir shopping. In her first-hand account of Hurricane Dean's impact on the areas outside of the actual Costa Maya resort, Minter tells Cruise Critic that the overall scene is quite grim.

"From the new light house all down the town of Mahahual, it is no longer Mahahual, everything is gone!" Many of the local businesses, she tells us, including restaurants, souvenir shops and dive shops are gone, with only a few buildings spared. Minter notes that "busted glass, water and wind damage is seen all over ... houses are left in pretty bad shape. It is a shame that not everyone knew or got to visit this beautiful well kept secret that we knew as 'our private paradise,' our little island."

Cruise lines have not yet released information on itinerary changes, but it’s clear that Costa Maya will have to be replaced for the near future.

In the meantime, Minter’s Blue Ocean Safari Dive Center plans to issue refunds to folks who pre-booked shore outings. “Blue Ocean Safari will be closed until further notice – but we will issue refunds once we know that the damage is.”

On Cruise Critic's Costa Maya forum, some members are trying to contribute to relief efforts; some have even suggested that one way to show support would be to not apply for refunds from cancelled excursions. (Please note Cruise Critic's rules regarding donations: According to community manager Laura Sterling, "Only links to legitmate relief efforts are allowed.") Visit the Costa Maya board for more information.

SOURCE HERE: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2162

I was looking forward to Costa Maya as a less corporate, less 'Disneyfied' port. Basically any place that doesn't have a "Hard Rock Cafe".

I don't hold hopes that will be retained after rebuilding. They got slammed--hard.

What ports are being speculated on for alternates? We're scheduled for late Oct Valor cruise that stops in Belize, Grand Caymans, Rotan.

Prehaps Cozumel/Cancun? Even Key West?

I just spoke to my PVP. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I know it's early but have you heard anything about what they're replacing CM with?

PVP: You're still going to CM.

Me: Really? The pier is gone.

PVP: They'll probably tender you in.

Me: Tender me into what??!! There's nothing there!

LOL!

I sent her some pix. Her boss stopped at her desk so we got off the phone so she could show her boss.

I leave on the Glory 9/8.....it's okay to get tendered in to CM. I'm sure someone will be there to sell me a cold beer! Anywhere will be ok with me.

My little cruise is nothing compared to the loss people down there have suffered.

My little cruise is nothing compared to the loss people down there have suffered.

Good attitude. I dont' think Carnival will be able to make any corporate choices until a few days. The logistics of shuffling off all their cruises planed for CM for the next year is a night mare.

I look at it the same way..I'm on a big boat, that can move, and not stuck in some refugee center.

thanks for putting the link with the photos

This is really sad :(

COSTA MAYA was my favorite port TOO !!

Yes, we really enjoyed Costa Maya and the area. We adventured via off roading, basking on the secluded beaches and generally, just doing our impression of a 'Lounge Lizard'.

001_costa_maya_placer_30_mt.jpg

The non-commercial ambiance, was what we really cherished.

We'll be back after they re-build.

~DASBOOT

I just spoke to my PVP. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I know it's early but have you heard anything about what they're replacing CM with?

PVP: You're still going to CM.

Me: Really? The pier is gone.

PVP: They'll probably tender you in.

Me: Tender me into what??!! There's nothing there!

LOL!

I sent her some pix. Her boss stopped at her desk so we got off the phone so she could show her boss.

I leave on the Glory 9/8.....it's okay to get tendered in to CM. I'm sure someone will be there to sell me a cold beer! Anywhere will be ok with me.

I just called Carnival & was told that senior management still have not made a decision as to where the "alternate" port will be, but that I should know by Friday. Anywhere but at work is fine with me!!:D

I just called Carnival & was told that senior management still have not made a decision as to where the "alternate" port will be, but that I should know by Friday. Anywhere but at work is fine with me!!:D

When you get an answer please let us know...I called TA today and told her that i was putting on hold booking our next summer trip for right now until we hear something from carnival...

thanks...

Archived