If not Costa Maya, where?

JackinPhx

We are sailing on the Spirit on 12/9. I called NCL yesterday because when I booked I was told that we had until Aug. 25 to cancel and still get our deposit back. Well that was wrong info. The CS told me that a change in ports was up to the captain. I asked if a port was no longer there, like Costa Maya, would they pick another and got the same reply.

One reason we picked this cruise was because it had 4 ports. On our Carnival Glory cruise last Nov. we were a bit bored on the sea days, we had two in a row coming back.

I am hoping they don't replace it with another sea day. I am also hoping we will know this by Sept. 24.

You should be able to cancel up to mid Sept, and you said the CS said you couldn't cancel, is that what you meant by your remarks about wrong information?

As for the captain, my understanding is, the only time this decision would be made by the captain would be when you are already at sea and some changes may need to be made, certainly not at this stage.

As for the pier, there may be tenders available. I certaianly don't think I would: 1-base my decision on 1 port 2- would I be overly concerned with over 3 months to go. Things could be back to normal by next week and a new storm arriving 3 weeks later. I am just giving this as an example. I do agree with the extra sea days. DH prefers port intensive cruises.

Good luck and hope for the best. Don't let this storm make your decision for you and pray there are no more in the future.

Nita

I always get confused by posts such as that. If ya hate it so much just stay on the freakin' ship and make your own sea day.
Oh, I do. I can do an entire 7-day cruise without getting of the ship once. But it's not really a proper sea day unless you're at sea! I want the motion on the ocean, I want the wind to blow across the deck, I want to be out of sight of land.

All other things being equal, I would be much pickier about the itineraries. It's very likely I wouldn't be on NCL, or in the Caribbean (although I would very much miss the ship and its people, who are great). But I'm on the line, on that ship, and in that place for a specific event each year (or as many years as I can make it), so not much choice.

No one has mentioned Progresso as an alternate to Costa Maya. Maybe because it is not a port NCL uses. It survived Dean well. We stopped there on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and took an excursion to Chichen Itza. The port itself was a dump, but location good for the ruins. Maybe they have improved it by now.

Globaliser, I feel the same way about Costa Maya and next time I am there, I will use it as a sea day too. I do that every time I am on a ship where Grand Cayman is on the itinerary too. That port has turned into a hassle with all of the ships that stop there and the excruciating tender waits.

You should be able to cancel up to mid Sept, and you said the CS said you couldn't cancel, is that what you meant by your remarks about wrong information?

As for the captain, my understanding is, the only time this decision would be made by the captain would be when you are already at sea and some changes may need to be made, certainly not at this stage.

As for the pier, there may be tenders available. I certaianly don't think I would: 1-base my decision on 1 port 2- would I be overly concerned with over 3 months to go. Things could be back to normal by next week and a new storm arriving 3 weeks later. I am just giving this as an example. I do agree with the extra sea days. DH prefers port intensive cruises.

Good luck and hope for the best. Don't let this storm make your decision for you and pray there are no more in the future.

Nita

Yes the wrong info was about the cancellation date.

I should have added that we are unsure about the freestyle dining. We like meeting new people and sitting at the same table each night. On our last cruise we had a table for 4 and the other couple never showed, and dinner wasn't as much fun. So with that in mind the additional chance of losing one port was giving us 2nd thoughts. Now that I know we can cancel as late as Sept. 24th, we will wait and see.

Oh, I do. I can do an entire 7-day cruise without getting of the ship once. But it's not really a proper sea day unless you're at sea! I want the motion on the ocean, I want the wind to blow across the deck, I want to be out of sight of land.

Too bad we can't change homes for a while LOL. You want to sail the Caribbean again and I'd love to sail out of London some day!

No one has mentioned Progresso as an alternate to Costa Maya. Maybe because it is not a port NCL uses. It survived Dean well. We stopped there on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and took an excursion to Chichen Itza. The port itself was a dump, but location good for the ruins. Maybe they have improved it by now.

Globaliser, I feel the same way about Costa Maya and next time I am there, I will use it as a sea day too. I do that every time I am on a ship where Grand Cayman is on the itinerary too. That port has turned into a hassle with all of the ships that stop there and the excruciating tender waits.

For those cruisers who have a port of call at Progresso seeking another fine set of Mayan ruins than Chichen Itza, why not try Uxmal? The Uxmal ruins are closer to Progresso than Chichen Itza.

For those cruisers who have a port of call at Progresso seeking another fine set of Mayan ruins than Chichen Itza' date=' why not try Uxmal? The Uxmal ruins are closer to Progresso than Chichen Itza.[/quote']

Do you know how long of a bus ride it is from the Progreso pier to Uxmal? I'd love to go, but don't want to take a really long bus ride with my kids.

And here I am, fervently hoping that we get another sea day instead of that dump. Part of me wishes that they never repair it, but I know that's just whistling in the wind!

Wow. Costa Maya/Majahual was our favorite port stop on our last three cruises, and we booked 4 cruises this year and next because Costa Maya was on the itinerary! I'm trying to imagine why you felt it was a dump - to me, it was paradise. The only complaints I heard on our last few cruises were from people who never left the port shopping complex.

Remmber my earlier reply, 320 miles in 16 hours, or 800 miles in 40 hours, is the limit a cruise ship can sail overnight, or over two nights, at a nice safe and economical speed of 18 knots.

To make Progresso work, they would have to completely revamp the Spirit's itinerary, to either below.

A)

New Orleans-At-Sea-Progresso-Cozumel-Santo Tomas-Belize City-At Sea-New Orleans

B)

New Orleans-At Sea-Belize City-Santo Tomas -Cozumel-Progresso-At Sea-New Orleans.

Spirit's itinerary today:

New Orleans-At Sea-Costa Maya-Santo Tomas-Belize City-Cozumel-At Sea- New Orleans, LA

Either at the start of the cruise, or at the end, there must be a Belize City to New Orleans leg. In 40 hours, the Spirit would have to travel 925 miles, and average 21 knots, maybe too much to ask for a cruise ship. The aggressive Norwegian Star's Mexician Riveria 8 day itinerary San Pedro to Acapulco leg requires an average 22.4 knots. But the Star has the Eastern Pacific current aiding it. I'm not sure the Spirit will have the advantage of ocean currents aiding it by 2 to 3 knots. But on paper, it's doable.

The reason Progresso is followed, or preceded by Cozumel is because Cozumel is the only port in the schedule closer than 320 miles to Progresso, a nice easy overnight cruise.

I don't think NCL would subsitute Progresso for Costa Maya, as too many schedule changes are required to make it work, messing up many plans by those who book private excursions. Also, will there be a pier or anchorage available on an rescheduled itinerary? Also, a lot of diesel fuel will be required to make these itineraries work.

Unless you want to do chicen Itza there would be no reason to stop in Progesso. About 9 years ago when NCL first started the Texarebbean itinerary they did stop there. It was awfulllllllllll!!!!!!

I would rather spend the extra day at sea.

Nita

Unless you want to do chicen Itza there would be no reason to stop in Progesso. About 9 years ago when NCL first started the Texarebbean itinerary they did stop there. It was awfulllllllllll!!!!!!

I would rather spend the extra day at sea.

Nita

Progreso is a great port for excursions. Chichen Itza, Uxmal, going to see the flamingos. Great spot.

Yes the wrong info was about the cancellation date.

I should have added that we are unsure about the freestyle dining. We like meeting new people and sitting at the same table each night. On our last cruise we had a table for 4 and the other couple never showed, and dinner wasn't as much fun. So with that in mind the additional chance of losing one port was giving us 2nd thoughts. Now that I know we can cancel as late as Sept. 24th, we will wait and see.

well you certainly were given wrong information. It is too bad so many companies (certainly not just NCL) have so many agents that don't have basic information or choose not to give it.

As for freestyle, I would suggest, if you really enjoy meeting others that you do two things: 1-get yourself on the roll call forum if you haven't already and 2-always ask to sit at a table for 4 when you arrive at the dining room. I can honestly say using the two above methods we have met many more people and enjoyed our cruising with Freestyle more than any traditional dining experience. Often we cruise with friends or family. When we have cruised alone or with just 1 other couple we have had some very unpleasant table mates or in some cases nice but with nothing in common with us.

Have you given any thought to changing your itinerary while still sailing with NCL? I certainly wouldn't give up at this stage or in the next few weeks. Remember, you could choose to sail another line that only goes to 3 ports and have one of them wiped out by a hurricane in late Sept. Let's hope nothing like this happens.

Nita

Lets all just relax. It is fun to speculate as to what will happen if? But in reality there isn't one of us that really has a clue. It is also too early in the season to have any idea what storms may lie ahead and do their share of disruption. For me, I will continue to listen to weather reports, follow the recaps of what damage has been done, or in most cases not done and not worry to much about what might happen.

Nita

well you certainly were given wrong information. It is too bad so many companies (certainly not just NCL) have so many agents that don't have basic information or choose not to give it.

As for freestyle, I would suggest, if you really enjoy meeting others that you do two things: 1-get yourself on the roll call forum if you haven't already and 2-always ask to sit at a table for 4 when you arrive at the dining room. I can honestly say using the two above methods we have met many more people and enjoyed our cruising with Freestyle more than any traditional dining experience. Often we cruise with friends or family. When we have cruised alone or with just 1 other couple we have had some very unpleasant table mates or in some cases nice but with nothing in common with us.

Have you given any thought to changing your itinerary while still sailing with NCL? I certainly wouldn't give up at this stage or in the next few weeks. Remember, you could choose to sail another line that only goes to 3 ports and have one of them wiped out by a hurricane in late Sept. Let's hope nothing like this happens.

Nita

Thanks for the advice. I did go to the roll call, only one other person so far. And after some research I found we could ask for a table for 4.

As far as changing our itinerary, it's not the ports as much as sailing from New Orleans. We did 2 weeks in Alasaka in June and wanted this to be a less expensive trip. Just don't want to add airfare or do a 9 hour drive to another port.

You are right it is early yet, a lot can happen between now and the end of hurricane season.

Lets all just relax. It is fun to speculate as to what will happen if? But in reality there isn't one of us that really has a clue.

Nita

You're certainly right in my case. I'm constantly being told I'm clueless ;)

Seriously, I agree, no sense fretting over it, beyond fun speculation.

-Monte

Do you know how long of a bus ride it is from the Progreso pier to Uxmal? I'd love to go, but don't want to take a really long bus ride with my kids.

I am afraid that it is pretty long trip. It has been awhile since we were in this area (at a resort not on a cruise). If memory serves me correctly (and I could be UNDER estimating - I don't think I am over estimating). It would be at least 2 hours from Progreso to Uxmal. That being said Uxmal is magnificent - my favorite Mayan ruin. If you want to go to a Mayan ruin that is closer to Progreso - Dzbilchaltun is about 30-40 minutes and while nowhere near as wonderful as Uxmal - it has an interesting little museum and a nice cenote that one can swim in.

Thanks for the advice. I did go to the roll call, only one other person so far. And after some research I found we could ask for a table for 4.

As far as changing our itinerary, it's not the ports as much as sailing from New Orleans. We did 2 weeks in Alasaka in June and wanted this to be a less expensive trip. Just don't want to add airfare or do a 9 hour drive to another port.

You are right it is early yet, a lot can happen between now and the end of hurricane season.

I also don't like flying, or driving all day to get to a port. New Orleans or Miami could get hit by the next one, knock on wood.

You never know what Mother Nature will do next.

You can always ask to sit and share a table every night. If others feel as you do at about the same time, you can meet strangers every night, or if you meet strangers at an activity or excursion you like, you can ask them to dine at the same table that night, and make them your friends.

You don't need the cruise line to do that for you.

Belize and Roatan are already in the itinerary that includes Costa Maya, at least on my sailing. So I wonder if they'll change it to Cozumel?:confused:

I'm good either way...We're on the Sun on 12/15/07 so if you remind me, I can let you know what they decide on.

filmguyd

Not me, I hear there could be Dead People in those ;) and I'd be scared they would get me!

yep - they lie on the bottom waiting for unsuspecting tourists and then they nibble your toes (Well actually the tiny fish who live in the cenote did nibble my toes a little but it could have been those dead people).

Cruise Critic had nicely put up a notice for the upcoming August itinerary changes they were aware of as well as other notices they could obtain.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2167

Costa Maya is on our itinerary for the Spirit's repositioning cruise and we're all wondering what will happen. However, we have 8 ports on our itinerary, so another day at sea would be fine, but Roatan would be even better!

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Cruise Line tells us that the Norwegian Sun is the first NCL ship of the "season" to call at Costa Maya in October; it has not yet announced a replacement port.

Archived