Salmon and Whales in Mid Sept

kellywhitehills

whales..yes!! they will be up there. some will start migrating, but others stay up there all year round. humpbacks that don't mate, can stay up there and avoid the long migration.

mid sept it's slowing down for salmon. some of the fishing charters have charts that some the "runs" of the different fish. coho salmon could still be around. but the king salmon are mostly gone by then. halbut show as "good" for early sept..but that's a longer fishing trip in some areas.

what ports are you going to? that makes a big difference.

you can check some of the charters on :

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

icy straits point is good for fishing and whale watching, also.

to learn more about whales:

http://www.mersea.com/Humpback_info.htm

Humpbacks don't migrate until way past the cruise season. So yes plenty of whales to be seen.

I have been to Inside Passage mid Sept. and the salmon runs were mostly over, with Haines having more of a run, since it is later there anyway.

A lot of dead smelly salmon in the rest of the ports. :)

Fishing was still going strong at the marina in Ketchikan, I remember. See if there is still an option to rent fishing poles and getting licences??

We did Ketchikan last mid Sept and fishing was great for silvers! Juneau was a little tough but beautiful, and whales every where. Please always look for them where ever you are on the ship. I can't tell you how many people were so disappointed that they did see any and we saw so many! It's really bad when you're getting out of the shower and your husband yells whale and you run to the balcony with your towel-I'm not sure if the whale was in the water or on the balcony:rolleyes: We were having breakfast one morning in the dinning room and there went another whale and because of me....everyone knew it:D I'm not a quite person!

Happy cruising,

Pam

You guys are great!..I think my dad and DH will go fishing in Ketchikan while we women shop..:) Whale watching will be our activity in Juneau..Since we do not get into port until 2pm we may just do the evening whale watch and salmon bake through the ship..

Sorry the evening whale watch will not be available for you. It will be dark by 7pm. So book the 3:30pm (about) one. You can have some "whale watching" in the am, sailing into Juneau. It will be worthwhile to get up at dawn and enjoy the fantastic scenery anyway. :)

Archived