Can anyone help with Ft. Lauderdale information?

illinoismom

I have just booked my first cruise and need some help. I have been reading here for a couple of weeks, but still not sure what to do. My mother and I are flying Indy to Ft. Lauderdale the day before we cruise (in November). We like the idea of the water taxi's, a simple dinner and some sightseeing, maybe the beach. Are there dependable hotel shuttles to and from the airport and port or should I rent a car? If I rent a car, how do we get from the car drop off point to the port? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you rent a car there is a Budget car rental office on S.E. 17th St. and they will take you to the pier, but they can be slow so allow plenty of time.

If you stay anywhere on 17th and don't rent a car it's better to just call a taxi to get to the pier.

I don't think you need to rent a car. The airport, cruise port and hotels are all very close. Get a hotel that is on the water taxi line, that would work perfectly. I have stayed in the beach area and downtown Ft. Lauderdale, luckily the hotels I have stayed in were on the water taxi line.

The hotels that I am aware of, and I am sure someone else here can elaborate a bit more, are: Ft. Lauderdale Grand, Bahia Mah(sp) and the Hyatt Regency Pier 66.

Just take a cab from the airport to the hotel and then the next day from the hotel to the cruise port, its cheaper and less stressful than renting a car, IMHO.

Hope this helps and enjoy your first cruise.

You can cab it, and you can also take the public bus.....(once you are in FL). I stayed at the Renaissance on 17th a couple times...not for crusing, but the bus stops out front....the pier is right across the street..cheap cab ride....youcould probably WALK to the water taxi over the causeway (but in the summer it would be HOT)....it was a nice hotel though.......no need for a car......

Hello,

I am researching hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area, and I have noted that hotels in Fort Lauderdale itself and especially those with shuttles to and from the cruise terminals are very expensive. We are going on a transatlantic in April of 2008.

By renting a car, you can stay farther away from Fort Lauderdale and find nice places at a reasonable price. Plus, the day/night before the cruise you can use the car to see some of south Florida, in terms of restaurants, beaches and so on.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Mulligan's on the beach and it was the best meal I ever had. Not sure if it's a special or on the menu, but it was 8 large scallops on a bed of crab rissoto with galic asperagas around it. And the water taxis are 'must do' too. I know the beach is long, so you'll need to check the phonebook as

I don't have their address.

You will get more information if you post this question on the American Home Ports East Coast Departures thread. I have found a lot of good info there.

This will give tips on hotels, restaurants, shopping.

Check it out!

Payd:)

Hello,

I am researching hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area, and I have noted that hotels in Fort Lauderdale itself and especially those with shuttles to and from the cruise terminals are very expensive. We are going on a transatlantic in April of 2008.

By renting a car, you can stay farther away from Fort Lauderdale and find nice places at a reasonable price. Plus, the day/night before the cruise you can use the car to see some of south Florida, in terms of restaurants, beaches and so on.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I am not sure of your definition of reasonable, however we stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania which had a complementary shuttle from the airport and to the port. It was a nice facility with a Walgreens drug store, Publix supermarket and restaurants adjacent. The complementary breakfast was good.

Archived