I'll apologise now, but it's the dreaded formal night question.

mhugcat

The search facility is not working for me at the moment so here goes. As we are flying over from the UK we are limited on how much we can bring with us and herefore have decided to opt out of formal night.

On our cruise there will be two formal nights. So have decided on UBD for one formal. But on the other is it ok to book crown grill or sabatinis and turn up without a jacket. If so does shirt have to be long sleeves or will short sleeves and smart trousers be ok. and a tie?.

Also on all other nights is a polo shirt OK for men or should other half stick to shirts on all nights. I know this has been asked a lot and sorry in advance.

At least I didn't mention the dreaded word ............JEANS:D

Thanks Christine

Yes you can go to Sabatinis without a jacket on formal night. Actually you will love sabatinis if you haven't already tried it. FYI there you select one entree and B4 that comes you sample everything else on the menu, maybe about 15 selections in small portions of course. Do go HUNGRY! :D As for non-formal nights polos are fine really. No sweat. I would actually bet you could get away with going to dinner on formal night w/o a jacket as dress code enforcement seems to be slipping on most cruise lines. NCL just announced that jeans, yes jeans are now allowed for diner. Cheers, Larry :)

I would actually bet you could get away with going to dinner on formal night w/o a jacket as dress code enforcement seems to be slipping on most cruise lines. NCL just announced that jeans, yes jeans are now allowed for diner. Cheers, Larry :)

Oh, boy. You were doing just fine until you put this last part in. Now all heck will break loose. I can see you we were a trouble maker as a child. ;)

Hi Christine,

Formal night dress applies to Sabatinis and Crown Grill as well. That being said, hubby usually wears slacks, a long sleeved button down (due to the a/c), tie, and a sport coat for formal night. I have seen some wear a tie and long sleeved shirt with slacks. However, you may get the dreaded "look".:)

Usual casual attire of a polo and slacks is fine for the non-formal nights. Enjoy your cruise.

I wouldn't dream of not dressing formally on a formal night and equally wouldn't dare wear a polo shirt on smart casual nights. They belong on the golf course.

I did wear jeans though with a smart shirt and proper shoes on our cruise last week once or twice.

I was a choir boy as a child. Now Im trying to make up for lost time. :D :D

I did not know formal night rules applied to restaurants outside the main dining venues. Well hubby could always rent a tux to avoid the baggage allowance limits or you could reconsider what to pack. Really you probably could go to Sabatinis w/o a jacket and you get the "look' from some but I have a hunch it can be done. Good luck. :)

I wouldn't dream of not dressing formally on a formal night and equally wouldn't dare wear a polo shirt on smart casual nights. They belong on the golf course.

I did wear jeans though with a smart shirt and proper shoes on our cruise last week once or twice.

Let's see, you wore jeans, yet condemn polo shirts :confused: ? Now that is a new twist. :D

It's much easier for women to leave the fanciest duds at home and still look dressed up, so I think you'll be able to minimize to some extent. For mens' dress, (and that's what the arguments always seem to revolve around) we don't have nearly as many options. It's pretty easy to throw a jacket and tie or two in a suitcase, and you'll fit in just fine. I think if people got away from arguing about "formal" and thought about "dressing up" instead, those who want to argue the extremes wouldn't have nearly as much ammunition to fire at each other.

The dress code applies to all the restaurants except the buffet, room service, or UBD. If you want to follow the guidelines (that decision is up to you), you should not go to Sabatinis or the Crown Grill except in formal attire (stated as tux or dark suit for men--but Princess is pretty lax in its enforcement). If the issue is not wanting to pack formal attire, you can rent it from Princess.

Polo shirt should be fine for all the other nights.

I had no problem finding "formal wear" on the search engine. I just went up to the top of this page under Search this Forum and put in formal wear. All sorts of posts come up. Now you will have to sort and go through the pages but info is there.

Marilyn

I appreciate all your comments and for once if we take formal attire other half's suitcase would be heavier than mine:D So renting would a good idea for him.

I wonder how many passengers don't dress up for Formal nights. I don't mean how many go to dinner and don't dress up - I mean just go to the buffet as if it's any normal night.

The search facility is not working for me at the moment so here goes. As we are flying over from the UK we are limited on how much we can bring with us and herefore have decided to opt out of formal night.

On our cruise there will be two formal nights. So have decided on UBD for one formal. But on the other is it ok to book crown grill or sabatinis and turn up without a jacket. If so does shirt have to be long sleeves or will short sleeves and smart trousers be ok. and a tie?.

Also on all other nights is a polo shirt OK for men or should other half stick to shirts on all nights. I know this has been asked a lot and sorry in advance.

At least I didn't mention the dreaded word ............JEANS:D

Thanks Christine

O.K. so I'm not too swift, but what is UBD?

Also note how the stupid question cleverly gets me subscribed to this thread, Now I can sit back and enjoy.

O.K. so I'm not too swift, but what is UBD?

Also note how the stupid question cleverly gets me subscribed to this thread, Now I can sit back and enjoy.

Ultimate Balcony Dining. $50/person. Only if you have a balcony. There should be several threads on this if you do a search for UBD.

Ultimate Balcony Dining. $50/person. Only if you have a balcony. There should be several threads on this if you do a search for UBD.

But it was so much easier asking here and getting subscribed all in one fell swoop.

You could rent a tux for that amount, then eat in the dining room and probably get hot food.

I wonder how many passengers don't dress up for Formal nights. I don't mean how many go to dinner and don't dress up - I mean just go to the buffet as if it's any normal night.

On my 14 cruises, I have not dressed up for formal nights on only two of them. The first time was on a 4 day family reunion cruise when formal night coincided with an extended port stop, and my wife and I took the opportunity to slip away by ourselves and "play" in town. My oldest son joined most of the family in the dining room that night and my youngest and his friend ate at the buffet then hung out at the kid's club,

Last October my wife and I took a 10 day cruise on the Sun. On that cruise I wore a rented tux on both formal nights. Shortly after we got home I saw an offer for a cut rate Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown, so we booked it for the family. Coming so closely on the heels of our October cruise I didn't feel like doing the whole tux thing again, especially since we were unable to get traditional dining (my preference). My wife and oldest son did dress up (my son wanted lobster!). My youngest son and I went to the buffet and then he took off for the kids club and I hung out in the room and out by the aft of the ship for the balance of the evening.

The buffet was very uncrowded on formal night - to my mind more so than on any other night that cruise (this is the only cruise that I ever had dinner in the buffet)

That would be me. I have my 4th cruise coming up and have eaten at the buffet on every formal night. I'm not completely opposed to dressing up or anything, it's just that my friend and I are more casual, so we eat at the buffet on formal night and tend to keep a low profile (as far as walking around the ship, etc.). I do dress resort casual on all nights of the cruise though, so hopefully don't horrify anyone on my way to the buffet. :p

That would be me. I have my 4th cruise coming up and have eaten at the buffet on every formal night. I'm not completely opposed to dressing up or anything, it's just that my friend and I are more casual, so we eat at the buffet on formal night and tend to keep a low profile (as far as walking around the ship, etc.). I do dress resort casual on all nights of the cruise though, so hopefully don't horrify anyone on my way to the buffet. :p

And why should you care if you horrify anyone on your way to the buffet??? YOU paid the cruise fare, not them. Anyone who would be horrified has the problem, not YOU...

Archived