East coast bus service, Boston to NJ

cruisingbooboo

Yes, RCI does provide bus service from South Station in Boston to Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ for $120 per person round trip. The bus leaves South Station at approximately 8 a.m. and returns to South Station at approximately 4 p.m.

Trip is about 5 hours long, give or take an hour or so for traffic and stops, so you should be at the pier around 1 or 2. Contact Royal Caribbean if you booked directly with them, or contact the travel agent you booked with for reservations for the bus.

Just a suggestion but you might want to have your travel agent check out taking a train. It is much faster and the port is only about a 10 or 15 minute taxi ride from the train station. I think cab fare is about $30.00 split between all pasenger in the cab. Remember the bus cost is per person while taxi fare is per taxi.

Just an option

cruisingbooboo

Last I heard it was Academy Bus Lines and there is a bathroom onboard the bus. However, the bus does make at least one and possibly two bathroom and food stops each way. Remember, what you put in the toilet travels with you (as the bus driver will remind everyone)

what city is closest to Cape Liberty that the train goes to?

You can get off the train at the Newark Airport station...just make sure that AMtrak stoprs at EWR....some of their trains bypass the airport...you can also get a AAA discount but you have to book at least 3 days ahead (same for senior discounts.....) otherwise, book whenever....you could also take acela (amtraks 'hi-speed' train). costs more, gets there a little faster, all business/first class and i believe you get food.....never took it but i may have to try one of these days..

Cab from EWR a/p to Cape Lib is about $40.

I've used a bus company right here in MA, well known company and has added stops to pick people up and then travel to the cruise ship ports in NY and NJ. I know people who used them for RT transfers. Easy button really because they take you right to the ship and pick up there too. Pricing depends on the cruise line but it's very reasonable and no cab ride with luggage. ;)

Jeanine & Jim

Can you share more details on the bus trip from Providence? We are sailing in January on the Explorer, and we live in RI.

Thanks!

We live in RI and sailed out of cape liberty last year on Celebrity Constellation. we did the bus transportation from celebrity. we met the bus at the bonanza bus terminal in providence in the morning. we stopped in new london, new haven, and bridgeport CT to pick up other passengers. We then stopped at a rest area to grab a quick lunch. Dropped us off right at the pier. One benefit about the bus transfer through the cruiseline was that once the bus driver checks your luggage on the bus, you won't have to touch it until it arrives at your cabin. The busline used was Academy. We also did the bus transportation from NCL when we sailed the dawn out of NYC. That was also Academy busline.

If you're thinking about driving. I've heard from other cruisers that the parking lot in cape liberty is notorious for paint overspray from the dockyard landing on vehicles in the parking lots (there are no garages). just something to consider when making your decision.

• 1 month later...

Take the PATH train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken. Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne. Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne. You are now directly across Route 440 from the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Hope that helps.

what city is closest to Cape Liberty that the train goes to?

That fare is quoted as mid week: Yes, Peter Pan has buses from Boston to Port Authority in NYC but they leave from the airport or South Station. Then you have all the bags to get a taxi and go to the port from there. Sometimes it's just worth it to pay the $75 RT and not worry about transporting cruise luggage into the city, taxi and back to wait for the return bus. Suppose if you have lots of time and energy and don't mind extra walking and wait time, the Peter Pan option would work for you. I prefer to have a seamless journey and will opt for the RT transfer..... right to the port and back.

Jeanine & Jim

Can you share more details on the bus trip from Providence? We are sailing in January on the Explorer, and we live in RI.

Thanks!

I don't know any details except the price and the locations for pickup So. Station or Providence Bus terminal. Our TA quoted me that price.

We haven't decided to take the bus because we are concerned about the bad weather we New Englanders are familiar with so we may want to drive down the night before. If I find out anymore I'll let you know.

About the paint overspray I also heard that was a while ago and has been corrected. I am curious would any painting be going on in January or Feb. in NJ? I am thinking blizzard weather and painting don't go together. LOL Good luck everyone.

Archived