Newark Int Airport - Looking for info

MalkyM

After leaving the Dawn, we will have approx 10 hours before our flight leaves EWR for the UK. Does anyone know if Continental will allow an extra-early check in as this will leave us, minus luggage, to spend most of the day in NYC. Alternatively, any suggestions on how to spend these "spare" hours??

Mal

To my knowledge, Continental does not allow early check-in.

How about renting a car in NYC? You could then go to Liberty State Park in NJ and take a ferry to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and/or go to the Garden State Mall if you feel like shopping. You could also park the car in a parking garage and see the sights in NYC, but I would be concened about the safety of your luggage.

Continental's express check-in is extremely speedy. I used to always go two hours early, only to find myself checked in, and and waiting in a chair in 20 minutes.

If you want to leave your luggage somewhere in New York, Amtrak lets you check bags at Penn Station, which is only about a 15-minute walk from the terminal. You can also take NJ Transit to Secaucus Junction and transfer to the train to EWR. If you left Penn Station 2 1/2 hours before your flight, I think you'd have plenty of time.

That leaves you about seven hours in New York -- and you can do a lot in those seven hours. When friends visit from out-of-town, I take them on a loop that gets a bunch of sites out of the way in seven hours. I'd be happy to share if you're interested.

In response to the above post, renting a car in New York would be ridiculously expensive. Surcharcges alone for being in Manhattan will kill you. And car is a very impractical way to get around.

Thanks everyone. Think I'll pass on the rental car as I have enough trouble finding my way around Glasgow!! Bill - would be interested to know about the "loop" you organise for your visitors. The day room idea is one which we hadn't considered but will follow it up with Beth. Mal:)

If you start by leaving your bags at Penn Station, you're already on track. Penn Station is at 34th Street and 7th Avenue. The "loop" is essentially a walk via North on 8th Avenue and Broadway, then a walk east through the southern part of Central Park, then South on 5th Avenue back to 34th Street, and back over to Penn Station. We occasionally veer off by a block or two.

[ ] Head North on 7th Avenue, through the Garment District (you'll see the giant button) and into Times Square, home to Broadway shows (if you do the "loop," you won't have time for a show), movies, restaurants, TV studios, shopping, a wax museum, and lots and lots of lights. Not to mention lots and lots of tourists. In the summer, my time in Times Square is as quick as I can make it. It's worth a look, but then get out to where you can have some breathing room.

[ ] Continue North on Broadway, passing more theaters (including the Ed Sullivan Theatre, home to David Letterman's show), until it spits you out in Columbus Circle. The tall, twin-towered building to your left is the AOL Time Warner Center. The first few floors are an upscale shopping mall, worth a look.

[ ] Across the street, on the corner, you'll see an entrance to Central Park. Go in, and enjoy. Usually, with our guests, if we're in a hurry, we'll wander the trails along the southern part of the park, parallel to 59th Street. If we have time, we wander further in, to the Carousel, Belvedere Fountain, the Band Shell, and the zoo. Before you come visit, find an online map of Central Park and familiarize yourself with the landmarks on the southern part of the park. (It's 2 1/2 miles north to south, so you can probably forget about anything north of the pond).

[ ] We usually exit the pond at the southeast corner at 59th Street and 5th Avenue. On this corner are two interesting sites. On the west side, the Plaza Hotel, and on the east, Trump General Motors Plaza, which is the home of the recently closed F.A.O. Schwartz, the coolest toy store, and the home to CBS-TV's morning news program. You're welcome to walk into the hotel and look around. Rooms there start at about $350 a night.

[ ] Continue South on 5th Avenue. There are a number of upscale stores through here worth a peek. Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier. Further down is the NBA Store, which is fun if anybody is interested in basketball.

[ ] Contintuing down 5th Avenue, you'll come to St. Patrick's Cathedral on the left. They welcome visitors for a peek. On the next block is Saks 5th Avenue, one of New York's famous department stores. If nothing else, look in the windows.

[ ] In front of Saks, you'll see a traffic light at a pedestrian crossing. Take it and head east down the walkway. This is Rockefeller Center, home to the ice skating rink (used for restaurant seating this time of year), NBC (they have a store there, too), and Radio City Music Hall.

[ ] Head back to 5th Avenue and continue South. At 44th and 45th streets if you look to the east, you'll see Grand Central Terminal, New York's famous train station. If you have time to spare, it's worth a quick walk for a quick peek inside.

[ ] Two more destinations for you on 5th Avenue after Grand Central. The New York City Library, with the marble lions, is on the west side. And your southernmost destination, the Empire State Building, is ... well, you'll see it coming the entire way. I've never visited the observation deck, but you may find the view fascinating.

[ ] Head back to 5th and 34th, and walk west. In a block, you'll come to Herald Square, centerpice of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and, of course, Macy's, the largest department store in the world. You could easily spend a couple of hours in here, yet you can also get through in a few minutes. Be sure to check out the store directory, as there are a dozen-plus floors.

[ ] Exit Macy's at the other side of the building. This will put you back onto 7th Avenue, a few blocks from where you started. Head two or three blocks south, and you'll be back at Penn Station.

This is just one way of exploring New York. There are plenty of tour buses and boats, plenty of museums, and plenty of other attractions.

Bill - thanks for all the info re your tour "loop". We will have a go at some of the route as I am not sure if my feet will hold out for the entire duration!! We have arranged a day room at a hotel on W 49th street so will be pretty central for everything. Mal

• 6 months later...
If you want to leave your luggage somewhere in New York, Amtrak lets you check bags at Penn Station, which is only about a 15-minute walk from the terminal. You can also take NJ Transit to Secaucus Junction and transfer to the train to EWR. If you left Penn Station 2 1/2 hours before your flight, I think you'd have plenty of time....

It's been a while since this thread was started, but you sound like you know a lot about transportation in New York! I also have quite a few hours before my flight at Newark Airport and wanted to know if you could give me a little more info on leaving my luggage at Penn Station. How does that work? There will be four of us with four pieces of big luggage plus our carry on's. Is Amtrak the easiest way to the airport?

Archived