Navigator shore excursion question

Hi, I have a couple of questions about shore excursions for an upcomming trip from Monte Carlo to Athens on September 8th.

1) We were thinking about just doing Taormina on our own and wondered if we would be better off to just get a taxi to take us there and back or purchase the "on your own" excursion.

2) We were considering taking the "Sailing the Caldera" excursion and the info on it states that the curise takes place in the afternoon so you can view the sunset, but the time next to the shore excursion says is takes off at 11:00am. Does anyone know if this is in the later afternoon or morning and we are scheduled to leave port at 6:00pm, which is too early to view the sunset and get back to the ship. We want some time to go into Oia and might just hire someone on our own for a cruise if this will take up most of the day. Any ideas?

3) Also, I wondered what the menu looked like for the Portofino Restaurant and why do some people hate it and some love it?

Thanks for you help

Tammy

We took Regent's tour but I have since gone back and done it by taxi. I would recommend taking a taxi in your own from Naxos to Taormina. I think the taxi is about 20 Euros and you can get another one easily from the top back down to the port. Regent's "on your own" takes you up by a bus but you aso have to come back with them and you lose some flexibility. Taormina was one of my favorite ports on this itinerary.

If you also stop at Sorrento, you may wish to consider hiring Gennaro from SorrentoLimo to show you around. He was professional and the best guide we used on our cruise.

As for Portofino's, it's not the menu, it's the Don Vito's theme that people either love or hate.

I've experienced it in both its original form on Diamond, and on Navigator. I actually preferred the latter. The food was very nice in Portofino's, nicely-done Italian. The cocktail party before, with wine and Italian cheese, etc. was also great. But the "show" during dinner still reminds me of Disney World. Sorry, Don Vito lovers!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the "Godfather" tour in Sicily and found it interesting and fun, just fyi.

As for the Portofino, we ate there 3 times over the two weeks and found it a very good alternative. The show is basically a girl singing and then the entire staff gets involved on certain nights. It's fun. A good Frank Sinatra sound alike. Had a different menu on all three nights.

The wine and cheese cocktail party pre dinner is great as well. Good way to enjoy the wines and talk to your "co diners" before dinner.

Oh also, we met another couple that ate at Portofino 6 of the 7 nights we were there. It seemed later in the week reservations (though "required") were no biggie if you ask.

Hey Tammy,

Just a suggestion since you are considering excurions......we just got back from the Venice to Athens cruise on Navigator. In Kusadasi we took the excursion that includes Ephesus and Sirince Village. It was the best value for the money! Our group consisted of eight people plus our guide. After we toured Ephesus, we drove to Sirince Village and had some time to shop. We then had lunch in a local home that was quite a highlight. Our guide told us we were lucky because the hostess had air-conditioning. The food was plentiful and very good and served with white or red wine. We spent well over an hour there with our guide answering questions about local traditions, religion, and politics of Turkey. Our hostess was present the entire time but spoke very little English. After lunch we drove to a lovely old school house that had been converted to a restaurant. We sat outside and were served Turkish coffee. After we finished the coffee, you turn the saucer upside down over the cup, make a wish and turn it over. A young lady then told our fortunes (with our guide interpreting). It was quite fun and interesting and she really hit the spot on several people. The presented each of us with a bottle of olive oil with a cloth sack imprinted with "Regent Seven Seas, Sirince". The only downside of the entire tour was the tour of the carpet store that ended our excursion...and this was because of the hard sell while there....not a high point of an otherwise wonderful tour. Even our tour guide was quite persistent in trying to sell. I had read about this on CC site, though, and was prepared for it. Just wanted to make a suggestion if you are wondering about Kusadasi. This was our first experience on Regent and thought it was awesome! Have a fantastic cruise!

Tammy,

We ate at Portofino two evenings out of seven. Different menu selections each night. You can check the menus on your tv screen each morning for both Portofino and Compass Rose and if possible make reservations for Portofino if that menu appeals to you more. We thought it was fun, the wine and appetizers and socializing before the meal was a nice touch, and the staff very accommodating. Vencenzio does a great Frank Sinatra....because of the "canned" musical accompaniment both nights some people thought it wasn't really him singing...but it was! Our only experiences at Compass Rose were dinner the other five evenings and it was very nice. Breakfast and lunches at Portofinio have much to offer....in the mornings omelets, Eggs Florentine, Eggs Benedict made to order plus a myriad of other foods. Lunches also had many choices of soups, salads, breads, main dishes, shrimp, crab claws, many desserts, etc. We found everything to be first class....just the extra touches of free shuttles in each port, free water bottles, ice water and cool wet towels at the tenders when we returned, free laundry with even free detergent, etc. Embarkation and debarkation were the smoothest we have ever experienced. Bottom line....may I stow away in your luggage for your cruise?:cool:

Archived