Rome Hotel - could sure use some advice

Will be in Rome for 2 nights in November. I need a hotel that allows smoking and a room with 2 beds. On the first day i will be using the hop on bus and on the second i am touring the vatican. I guess i can stay in any area but i am concerned about the safety of the termini area. I would like to keep the price around $200. Am I on a mission impossible? Would appreciate any suggestions and thanks for your help.

You might want to do a search on this board for the topic of inexpensive hotels in Rome--not long ago people were asking the same question. I gave a website listing a number of pensiones run by Catholic sisters, which are VERY reasonably priced, clean, safe, and in good locations. Don't have the link handy at the moment, though! :(

In any case, you're quite right, you absolutely do NOT want to stay near Termini. Not only is the area downright ugly, at night it's just not safe. There's really no reason to stay in that area either, unless perhaps you're trying to book at the last minute and nothing else is available.

I highly recommend Hotel Parlimento just off via del Corso.It's a lovely small hotel use to be in the Pensione system. The rates are very good the service is outstanding, they speak english well. We couldn't hear any noise from the street, and they serve breakfast in the morning.

If that place is not available try Albergo del Senato.

Good luck and if you find any place else let us know

We booked the Albergo del Senato for October 2008 at a rate of 335 euros.

A far cry from $200 a night. If anyone knows how to book at a lower rate I'd love to have that info. It rates 1-2 on Trip Advisor.

Marty

Hi:

10 of us are staying at Hotel Lirico in October.. it's gotten great reviews on trip advisor and such.. it is right next to the Opera house, on a street that is blocked from traffic.. it is a 5 min walk to the train station and a 15 min walk to the Colosseum, trevi fountain and the Spanish steps... we are paying 165 Euro a night for a triple.. and the double rooms are paying 150 Euros....

From everything we've read, it is a very safe area, yet close enough to the terminal...

We finished a tranatlantic cruise in May, got into Rome and stayed at a wonderful boutique hotel called the Hotel Montecarlo. We got the room from Tripadvisor.com.

The staff was wonderful and the room was large and quiet. Very nice breakfast as a part of the cost (Around E200). the hotel is about 2 minutes from the Termini Rail station.

We are heading bacak to Rome next year and intend to stay the Montecarlo again. Enjoy your trip.

KCGolfer

We finished a tranatlantic cruise in May, got into Rome and stayed at a wonderful boutique hotel called the Hotel Montecarlo. We got the room from Tripadvisor.com.

The staff was wonderful and the room was large and quiet. Very nice breakfast as a part of the cost (Around E200). the hotel is about 2 minutes from the Termini Rail station.

We are heading bacak to Rome next year and intend to stay the Montecarlo again. Enjoy your trip.

KCGolfer

I'm wondering kcgolfer, if you felt unsafe or saw anything that worried you staying so close to the Termini. I'm starting to get a little worried about how unsafe it is staying near the Termini (not just this thread but others as well). We are booked into Hotel Quirinale for 2 nights in October - its 400metres from Termini.

We booked the Albergo del Senato for October 2008 at a rate of 335 euros.

A far cry from $200 a night. If anyone knows how to book at a lower rate I'd love to have that info. It rates 1-2 on Trip Advisor.

Marty

I had a quote of 200 euros for this December. That's a big jump for next year.

I had a quote of 200 euros for this December. That's a big jump for next year.

I believe October is still the "high" season and December is low. I'll keep checking for promotions. Thanks..................Marty

check out http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html for a list of convents. We got a centrally located one for 80E a night, I just couldn't see paying the outrageous hotel prices and we only want a place to crash at night. however, they can book up a few months in advance depending on the season. I had difficulty finding one 2 weeks ago for early october. Also, the convents that are listed online with designated guest houses are a little more hotel-ish than the others.

In your situation, I would book one if they had a balcony (which I believe I saw several that do have very small ones) and you could smoke on your balcony and solve that problem.

Goodluck.

check out http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html for a list of convents. We got a centrally located one for 80E a night, I just couldn't see paying the outrageous hotel prices and we only want a place to crash at night. however, they can book up a few months in advance depending on the season. I had difficulty finding one 2 weeks ago for early october. Also, the convents that are listed online with designated guest houses are a little more hotel-ish than the others.

In your situation, I would book one if they had a balcony (which I believe I saw several that do have very small ones) and you could smoke on your balcony and solve that problem.

Goodluck.

Which place did you stay? Did it have a curfew? What were the accomodations like?

I stayed at the Hotel Lancelot last year - about 3 blocks from the Colleseum - & loved it. Family owned, staff was helpful, bus is right down the block, quaint neighborhood restaurants.

Already booked it for next June.

Don't know about smoking.

Donna:)

Will be in Rome for 2 nights in November. I need a hotel that allows smoking and a room with 2 beds. On the first day i will be using the hop on bus and on the second i am touring the vatican. I guess i can stay in any area but i am concerned about the safety of the termini area. I would like to keep the price around $200. Am I on a mission impossible? Would appreciate any suggestions and thanks for your help.

Hotel Hiberia is currently offering double rooms, smoking or not, for E120 per night in November/December.

Location is good, safe for walking at night and close to all historic sites and restaurants. we stayed there last December and were very happy with it.

I know it's bit late now but the further out you book looks like it's to your advantage. No idea though if last minute rates exist like they do here.

We booked Rome and Venice hotels back in March for our October stays. Our EUR149 (Welcome Residences) and EUR180 ( Hotel Lsbona) bookings would now cost us 180 and 250 per night. Quite a difference.

I stayed at the Hotel Lancelot last year - about 3 blocks from the Colleseum - & loved it. Family owned, staff was helpful, bus is right down the block, quaint neighborhood restaurants.

Already booked it for next June.

Don't know about smoking.

Donna:)

We are considering the Lancelot for May. They have offered us a room with a window on a high floor or one with a terrace on the ground floor (fo 10 more Euros). Have you any experience with either? Thanks

The area to the right of the station (as you exit out the front) is more civilized, especially after dark.

When you say out the right....What direction is that when we are looking on a Map? What street is the exit on?

Thanks for the help.

Archived