Flyingfish & Cou Cou???

vidalia1

I have been to Barbados once for a day on a cruise ship. We were able to snorkel in the morning and shop in the afternoon. While there we ate Flyingfish & Cou Cou (sp?). It was at a restauraunt near downtown. It was upstairs in a white wood building. We had asked a shop owner where the locals ate Flying Fish and she closed her shop for ten minutes and took us across the street. We were the only non-locals in the place. The food and staff were great & very friendly.

This is a long way to get around to asking the question: Where is a good place to get Flyingfish & Cou Cou? And I do mean a local place that serves good food. When I am only in a place for a day I want to try to experience some local flavor.

Thanks for any help....

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

I have been to Barbados once for a day on a cruise ship. We were able to snorkel in the morning and shop in the afternoon. While there we ate Flyingfish & Cou Cou (sp?). It was at a restauraunt near downtown. It was upstairs in a white wood building. We had asked a shop owner where the locals ate Flying Fish and she closed her shop for ten minutes and took us across the street. We were the only non-locals in the place. The food and staff were great & very friendly.

This is a long way to get around to asking the question: Where is a good place to get Flyingfish & Cou Cou? And I do mean a local place that serves good food. When I am only in a place for a day I want to try to experience some local flavor.

Thanks for any help....

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

vidalia1...from your description it sounds as if you ate at a place called Ryanne's Restaurant. They do offer some very authentic Barbadian dishes.

My next questions would be...when are you going to be here and how long will you be staying. Are you a meat eater?

There are quite a few places all across the island so your answers will certainly could narrow it down quite a bit. Emphasis on the word could:)

We are going to be in Barbados for a day in October (cruise). We know Barbados is the only place to get authentic Flying Fish...I know the restauraunt was downtown across from an open air mall...

Thanks for the info.

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

• 4 weeks later...
vidalia1...from your description it sounds as if you ate at a place called Ryanne's Restaurant. They do offer some very authentic Barbadian dishes.

My next questions would be...when are you going to be here and how long will you be staying. Are you a meat eater?

There are quite a few places all across the island so your answers will certainly could narrow it down quite a bit. Emphasis on the word could:)

We too are coming to yours/my(SPEIGHTSTOWN) home for a cruise on the Sea Princess , we arrive at the Hilton on 25 oct and stay over for the 26 and then cruise on the 27 until the 10th of Nov. We going to stay over again for the 10 at the Hilton and then fly out on the 11. My family is originally from Barbados and I have a wionderful bunch of cousins and one uncle there. We only get together about once a year, and now I find my cooking older cousin is on the way to England to visit, so I need to find that same resturant for my coo- coo and flying fish... We are also hoping to meet up with a friend James who works on a cruise ship and is in a band (WENDY ALLEY) AND SPOUGE are their CDS. The only plan is to go see the BAJAN Night at the Plantation on friday night.. Any ideas you might have will be greatly appreceiated...

We too are coming to yours/my(SPEIGHTSTOWN) home for a cruise on the Sea Princess , we arrive at the Hilton on 25 oct and stay over for the 26 and then cruise on the 27 until the 10th of Nov. We going to stay over again for the 10 at the Hilton and then fly out on the 11. My family is originally from Barbados and I have a wionderful bunch of cousins and one uncle there. We only get together about once a year, and now I find my cooking older cousin is on the way to England to visit, so I need to find that same resturant for my coo- coo and flying fish... We are also hoping to meet up with a friend James who works on a cruise ship and is in a band (WENDY ALLEY) AND SPOUGE are their CDS. The only plan is to go see the BAJAN Night at the Plantation on friday night.. Any ideas you might have will be greatly appreceiated...

Hi rick01

welcome home.:)

If you are going to be staying at the Hilton you may not have to venture very far for authentic bajan cuisine. The Hilton is actually just a stone's throw away from a placed called Brown Sugar Restaurant, which is a locally owned and operated family restaurant with real authentic cuisine and just a step further up the street from that is a spot called Bayside Plaza which has quite a few local food choices within the mini mall.

If you decided you want to go into bridgetown you will have even more choices...including the restaurant I mentioned to vidalia. If you are familiar with bridgetown it is on Lower Broad Street, If not you can just ask any of the locals for directions and they will be more than happy to give you directions.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

LOL

I had the best Fying Fish today and Breadfruit Cou Cou

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Good

Had Breadfruit Cou Cou and grilled fish on Sat soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Good

Seriously guys the best Flying Fish and Grilled Fish I have everh had can be found at Sand Dunes it is located in Bell Plaine in St Andrew in is a local trully local place with great food thats always fresh and hot right off the stove just the way this Bajan girl like it

Better leave the what is it to the pros.What the heck, lets see what I think I remember What I do know is the flying fish either jump or fly:D and they are really small and very, very tasty. The coo-coo if I remember right contains yellow corn meal and crushed okra. I don't remember what else my dad put in it.. It is really good with with cod fish and gravy,, Not so long now...

I hope some of you can come down to the Hilton and have a drink with us on the night of the 25 or after the Bajan show at the plantation on the night of the 26, Plus we have all day on the 27th doing nothing until the late sailing that night.. Let me know if anyone wants to get together... At the Hilton, look up Osborne

The first time I went to Barbados I had a friend who was from Barbados. She knew I did not like to eat fish. However she insisted when I was in Barbados I needed to find a local and ask where they served good flying fish & coo-coo.

There were 8 of us who went into town and we did find such a place. It was great. The only thing we did not like was the local beer made from tree bark...yuk.:eek: ..but the flyingfish was worth the trip...

My mottos is: when in rome, do as the romans do....in this case Barbados & eat flying fish...:)

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

Better leave the what is it to the pros.What the heck, lets see what I think I remember What I do know is the flying fish either jump or fly:D and they are really small and very, very tasty. The coo-coo if I remember right contains yellow corn meal and crushed okra. I don't remember what else my dad put in it.. It is really good with with cod fish and gravy,, Not so long now...

I hope some of you can come down to the Hilton and have a drink with us on the night of the 25 or after the Bajan show at the plantation on the night of the 26, Plus we have all day on the 27th doing nothing until the late sailing that night.. Let me know if anyone wants to get together... At the Hilton, look up Osborne

Rick...you still got it.....:);)

vidalia1....i don't think it was our local beer you were drinking.:) . I believe what you drank was a local drink we call Mauby. It is an acquired taste so I am not surprised you did not like it.It is made from a substance called bark but it is NOT a tree bark...lol....:p. When I was younger I actually thought this was the case as well so don't feel too bad.

The local beer is called Banks and you can rest assured it is NOT made from tree bark and it is actually quite good. Its enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. Try one next time you come.

Just Google it!

Mauby (also mavi in Puerto Rico, or mabi)

is a drink that is widely consumed in the Caribbean.

It is made with sugar and the bark and/or fruit of certain species in the Colubrina genus including Colubrina elliptica (also called behuco indio)

and Colubrina arborescens, a small tree native to the northern Caribbean and south Florida.

Recipes usually include other spices as well, aniseed being very common.

In some islands the drink is fermented using a portion of the previous batch,

while in others it is consumed unfermented.

Mauby is often bought as a pre-made syrup

and then mixed with water (sparkling or still) to the consumer's taste,

but many still make it themselves at home.

Its taste is initially sweet, somewhat like root beer,

but changes rather startlingly to a prolonged but not astringent bitter aftertaste.

To many it is an acquired taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauby

I believe what you drank was a local drink we call Mauby.

It is an acquired taste so I am not surprised you did not like it.It is made from a substance called bark but it is NOT a tree bark...lol....:p. When I was younger I actually thought this was the case as well so don't feel too bad.

What I buy in the local Bajan supermarket

is clearly and obviously a natural tree bark product

- it doesn't come out of a machine,

and is not a processed food by any stretch of the imagination.

What I buy in the local Bajan supermarket

is clearly and obviously a natural tree bark product

- it doesn't come out of a machine,

and is not a processed food by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank you for your input and your WIKEPEDIA link....BUT...I NEVER said it was a processed product!! (where in my reply did I say it was processed??:confused:)

I know it is a natural product after all I have been making/drinking it for years.:rolleyes: I was just trying to point out to vidalia1 and others that it is not your "standard" tree bark as most persons would think.

Anyway...to the others reading this thread you should try it when you visit.

I was just trying to point out

that it is not your "standard" tree bark as most persons would think.

..and here I was all along, thinking it was standard tree bark!

Thanks for the education, bro.

No wonder I bin seeing all kindsa pink Hephalumps en ting!

I bin ripping off all kinda ordinary tree bark

en soakin it down..tryin to mek lil mauby

- but it doan wuk soah.

Whuh I cyan onstan!

Cou-Cou is very much like polenta, except that it contains Okra (which for me makes it slimy, which I don't like). it is mostly served with steamed flying fish with a little gravy (that's how my mother in law used to make it).. sometimes salt fish (or salted cod).

I don't eat it as I don't like the mouth feel and I don't like Okra (even if I am a GRIT - Girl Raised in the South - USA that is).

Tried Mauby.. don't like it..

Almost any flying fish is great.. Try a cutter (sandwich) at a rum shop, those are usually the best).

Thanks for the info and you are right about the drink. Sweet at first and then a bitter :eek: after taste. I don't like root beer for the same reason.

I am just looking forward to going back and trying it all again. I have been to a lot of the islands and Barbados & Aruba are two of my favorites because of the nice people.:o

Kim Youngblood

(aka vidalia1)

I will be back to your beautifull island and last year I brought back some spices for my fish at home.

Would Sarah, Keith or anyone else would have a Bajan receipe for fish?

I will be back on March 11, 2008 and would buy then.

Thank you in advance

francois

I will be back to your beautifull island and last year I brought back some spices for my fish at home.

Would Sarah, Keith or anyone else would have a Bajan receipe for fish?

I will be back on March 11, 2008 and would buy then.

Thank you in advance

francois

Francois...I should be able to procure a recipe for you no problem. Just remind me via this forum as the time gets closer.

Archived