Edinburgh Tatoo

Shogun

Hello Anne,

Just had a look at your cruise on the Grand. You depart Southampton on the 25th and wont be in South Queensferry till Tuesday 3rd August. The tatoo will be on that evening so you will see it (again)

Jimmy

:( :confused: :( As it turns out we are on the July 25, 2008 sailing of the Grand, British Isles Cruise. While they have the ship listed as staying in port until 1:00 AM, on our stop in Edinburg, it's a SUNDAY!!!!!!!! The Tattoo runs Monday - Saturday, a no go on Sundays :(

Anyone have any thoughts on this??????????

Anne

Although you would miss out on the Tattoo, the Festival Fringe runs 24 hours a day so you would be able to catch several performances if you wanted to.

Jimmy,

My 2008 calendar shows Aug. 3 as Sunday. Tuesday is Aug. 5, PARIS (LE HAVRE), France. We return to Southampton the following day, Wed. Aug 6.

Hugs,

Anne

Hello Anne,

Just had a look at your cruise on the Grand. You depart Southampton on the 25th and wont be in South Queensferry till Tuesday 3rd August. The tatoo will be on that evening so you will see it (again)

Jimmy

You are of course totally correct. I misread the post and read it as Sunday 25th as your departure day. As you say, Friday is the 25th and you will indeed be in S.Queensferry on a Sunday. And yet, Princess have this visit to the tatoo listed. Maybe they (Princess) know something we don't know. I certainly hope so or there will be a lot of disappointed people on this trip. I was hinting at Mary the other day about this trip as we've missed it this year. If as normal, there is no performance on a Sunday, someone has made a monumental dogs dinner of this.

It doesnt make sense really as I would imagine they'll have sorted out their quota of tickets from the ship. I hope this all works out, hopefully it can be sorted out if the change the ships itenary or something.

Keep us posted,

Jimmy

No, we leave at 1 AM, Monday is a SEADAY. Originally looking at the itinary the 1 AM made sense since we would be getting back to the ship late after the Tattoo. Now none of it makes sense :confused:

An overnight WOULD be delightful however, if someone could just sell Pnincess on it :rolleyes:

My mistake, I see now that you leave at 1am on day 11 Monday.

Princess do have the excursion listed, but I suspect it's just a standard sheet for Edinburgh and is not sailing specific.

Great shame, but there is plenty to do in Edinburgh anyway

Hi Folks,

I think Princess takes around 800 tickets per show, was told the wait list was into the hundreds as well.

Grand Princess got a name call at the start along with other groups.

If you want to go next year book next week.

yours Shogun

Anne- We found way too much to do and see in Edinburgh when we were there. We took a hop on/hop off bus and ended up really wishing that we didn't have to race back to the ship to meet up with our tour group. Tons and tons of shows, both ticketed and free, were happening all over the place. It's a shame that you won't be there for the Tattoo, but don't let that get you down. Edinburgh is a beautiful city!

For a really great lunch, drop into the Witchery by the Castle. The food was top notch and the setting was incredible!

Tony - agree with you regarding the cost of the tickets. We didn't find them too far out of reason and it was nice to not have to worry about transportation.

Charlie

Charlie,

The Witchery was already on our list of MUSTS! We plan on going to Roslyn in the morning and than heading into the city for the day with the Witchery for a late lunch. The Tattoo in the evening would have topped off an amazing day!

Anne

That was a great show. The way our guide during the day made it sound, I thought it was going to be a nightmare. There are 9000 people going into one entrance. But, it wasn't too bad especially if you are used to any major sporting event (i.e. college football game). The seats were cramped and it didn't look like there were many port-a-potties, but seeing the show was spectacular. The day we were there, the weather was chilly, so dress in layers. I kept shaking, but that I had gotten a cold the day before, so that didn't help. We got back to the ship around 12:30am. Since 800 people are arriving back to the ship at the same time and we were tendering, they had more than 1 tender running. We had to wait about 20-30 minutes, but it probably could have been worse. I loved the Russian band the best. The Taiwanse (sp.) Girls Band was great too. If you have a chance to see it, you need to go.

Website Offline

The Tattoo in 2008 will take place over the period 1-23 August with performances on Monday to Friday at 9.00pm and on Saturday at 7.30pm and 10.30pm. There is no performance on Sunday.

Full details will be available shortly on our website at www.edintattoo.co.uk.

Tickets can be purchased by mail order and on-line at www.edintattoo.co.uk from 10.00am (GMT) on Monday 3 December 2007. On-line bookings will be limited to eight tickets per household and will be subject to a £3.00 booking fee per transaction.

Telephone bookings will be accepted from 10.00am (GMT) on Monday 17 December. Bookings will be subject to a £3.00 booking fee per transaction.

Thank you for your interest in the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

We look forward to welcoming you.

I have copied this from the oficial website. I hope it is of help to anyone looking to buy tickets for next year.

Great info - thanks scottie99. We are on the July 25th sailing and similar to Anne we are watching carefully to see if Princess adapt the schedule because of the Sunday no-show..

Hi Mike and Shogun,

It was wonderful meeting you on the Grand Princess Cruise. Thanks for the memories. Mike, it seemed that you were taking some wonderful pictures, would you be able to e-mail some of your pictures. Hottieg747@aol.com

We were very fortunate that we had good weather the night of the Tattoo. I strongly recommend attending and wearing warm clothing. If you're on the Princess Cruise, ask them if you can meet your bus in Edinburgh instead of going back to the ship to board the bus. This will allow you about 1 1/2 more hours in Edinburgh. Have a great trip. Chantal

Archived