Edinburgh Tatoo

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Many will have seen the Tatoo thanks to Princess, almost impossible to get a ticket here unless you are very quick of the mark.

Any way the night we were there the BBC filmed the evening.

Tonight BBC broadcast the show, while only an hour long it did cover almost all of the evenings events. The bit that was totaly cut was the music through the wars bit.

There were no clips of the people in the stands only some very qiuck passing shots from along way a way.

The DVD goes on sale next month.

From what I saw on TV tonight it would be worth buying to remind all of this great show.

And may be it will be longer than the TV showing.

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Many will have seen the Tatoo thanks to Princess, almost impossible to get a ticket here unless you are very quick of the mark.

Any way the night we were there the BBC filmed the evening.

Tonight BBC broadcast the show, while only an hour long it did cover almost all of the evenings events. The bit that was totaly cut was the music through the wars bit.

There were no clips of the people in the stands only some very qiuck passing shots from along way a way.

The DVD goes on sale next month.

From what I saw on TV tonight it would be worth buying to remind all of this great show.

And may be it will be longer than the TV showing.

yours Shogun

......for those who want to get a taste of the show......there are 2007 Tattoo psots on YouTube already.

We saw the 2006 show before our Golden Princess cruise and really enjoyed the show....:)

It was a great show, as it always is. If you want to go, make sure you book the excursion as soon as possible. The wait list on board had over 200 people listed, and many more said they'd like to go but didnt' bother getting on the list because it was already so long.

Hi,

I went to the Tattoo last year with Princess and feel very lucky! I viewed the Tattoo this year on YouTube. I was surprised by the Moscow group, it was a very short clip, but they seemed very entertaining. Another great and fine show. I will check to see if the BBC I recieve is showing it. Thanks for the review and encouraging all those who have not seen it to make plans for it in the future.

The Russian band was great. They started off doing some seriously classical music, then cut loose with some more recent selections. I was hoping they'd go back to Tchaikovsky and finish with the finale to the 1812 Overture, since they already have the cannons and pyrotechnics available. I think they'd have totally stolen the show if they had done that.

The huge group of Taiwanese high-school girls was brilliant. They actually had too much going on at once; you couldn't see it all.

Hi Rob,

You could describe the Edinburgh Tattoo as loads of old men in rain coats watching hundreds of young teen school girls in short skits , but I think this might give the wrong idea,,.

These girls were very well trained, they could march better than some army's could. I did think there was a little too much going on all at once, only when I saw the TV show did I spot some of the things they did.

yours Shogun

Not everyone there were old men, Shogun. Our 14 year old GD proclaimed that the Tattoo was the best part of her entire cruise. I would have to agree with her. Her favorites, however, were the motorcycle group and the steel drum band. I'm hoping to pick up a copy of the DVD for her for Christmas, so thanks for the heads up.

Charlie

We lived in England for five years and always wanted to see the Edinburgh Tattoo, but we were never able to get tickets. We were on the same cruise as Shogun, and we couldn't believe our good fortune to obtain tickets through Princess' Shore Excursion department. While the entire cruise was wonderful, the Tattoo, in our opinion, was the absolute highlight! We had our 17-year old grandson with us, and he agreed with this assessment. The precision, staging, light show on the facade of the castle, pyrotechnics - words or film clips really can't do it justice!

Our only criticism revolved around the EXTREMELY crowded grandstands. The seats were about 16 inches wide, and although I'm only 5'5", my knees were jammed against the seat in front of me. Fortunately, the weather was decent. I can't imagine the fiasco had it rained - 9000 people trying to open their umbrellas in that crowded environment could have been filmed by itself as a BBC special!

We lived in England for five years and always wanted to see the Edinburgh Tattoo, but we were never able to get tickets. We were on the same cruise as Shogun, and we couldn't believe our good fortune to obtain tickets through Princess' Shore Excursion department. While the entire cruise was wonderful, the Tattoo, in our opinion, was the absolute highlight! We had our 17-year old grandson with us, and he agreed with this assessment. The precision, staging, light show on the facade of the castle, pyrotechnics - words or film clips really can't do it justice!

Our only criticism revolved around the EXTREMELY crowded grandstands. The seats were about 16 inches wide, and although I'm only 5'5", my knees were jammed against the seat in front of me. Fortunately, the weather was decent. I can't imagine the fiasco had it rained - 9000 people trying to open their umbrellas in that crowded environment could have been filmed by itself as a BBC special!

-----------------------------------

I agree. We attended the tattoo in 2001 while we lived in England. We booked seats months in advance so we could sit facing the castle. It was one of the most moving experiences we ever attended. The seats, however, were the tightest we ever used. We were so tight with our neighbors that we each helped each other put on raingear. it did not detract from the performance but attendees need to know what to expect. In my opinion (and my granddaughters) the finale of the evening was walking down the Royal Mile to our hotel, eating fish and chips procured from one of the shops. The hotel room stunk the next morning but the memories have lasted a lifetime. Anyone visiting Scotland is encouraged to attend the tattoo. If you can't make the Scottish tattoo, there are other worldwide (such as in Canada) that would be an experience.

"Respectfully yours,

John (so much to see and so little time)

Hi Rob,

You could describe the Edinburgh Tattoo as loads of old men in rain coats watching hundreds of young teen school girls in short skits , but I think this might give the wrong idea,,.

These girls were very well trained, they could march better than some army's could. I did think there was a little too much going on all at once, only when I saw the TV show did I spot some of the things they did.

yours Shogun

Shogun~

What time did the cruise you were on , when you saw this event, leave port?

I am interested in seeing this IF we can get tix in 2008 but the PCL cruise leaves at 7pm:( What time does it usually start?

Thanks!

Confusion solved! Thanks Mike!:D

I was looking at a june sailing but the ship departs at 7pm as do the ones scheduled for the early part of July. Only pushing the sail date to July 25th does the schedule change and reflect a 1 am departure. I guess that means we'll go in late July! May I ask if you booked your tix thru PCL ahead of boarding or only once onboard?

Thanks again!

Hi There Folks,

The Tattoo is only on for a few weeks each year, if you want to go book as soon as you can, like a 6 months to a year ahead, if you try and book on board you will have no chance of getting a ticket.

yours Shogun

The Tattoo is traditionally held in August, so you need to be cruising during that window to get the excursion. We watched the Princess site very closely and booked it the moment the excursions opened. We spoke with one gentleman who was #242 on the wait list for tickets. There was not an empty seat that we could see on the night we were there.

The seating was cramped, my DH still has marks on his knees from the seats in front of him (he's 6'5") and there is no personal space. The night we attended, it was very cold, rainy and windy, so the crowded conditions worked pretty well in maintaining heat.

Princess does run a special bus for those with disabilities who want to attend the Tattoo, but can't make the walk and there are special ground level areas for those confined to wheelchairs or scooters who can't climb the stairs.

Still with all that said and done, it was still worth it!

Charlie

Anyone visiting Scotland is encouraged to attend the tattoo. If you can't make the Scottish tattoo, there are other worldwide (such as in Canada) that would be an experience.

I agree that the Tattoo is an unbelievable experience!! Being from Canada we do have a military tattoo every summer in Quebec City. As a young girl we went to see it, but seeing this show on the esplanade of the Edimburgh Castle is a totally enchanting experience and was truly the highlight of this cruise!! The intensity of the show quickly dissipates the fact that we're in tight corner!

But 2008 is Quebec City 400th anniversary - so the Tattoo will definitely be something not be missed... so if you can't make it to Scotland, come visit your nieghbors of the North!!!

MC:)

Website Offline

The Tattoo in 2008 will take place over the period 1-23 August with performances on Monday to Friday at 9.00pm and on Saturday at 7.30pm and 10.30pm. There is no performance on Sunday.

Full details will be available shortly on our website at http://www.edintattoo.co.uk.

Tickets can be purchased by mail order and on-line at http://www.edintattoo.co.uk from 10.00am (GMT) on Monday 3 December 2007. On-line bookings will be limited to eight tickets per household and will be subject to a £3.00 booking fee per transaction.

Telephone bookings will be accepted from 10.00am (GMT) on Monday 17 December. Bookings will be subject to a £3.00 booking fee per transaction.

Thank you for your interest in the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

We look forward to welcoming you.

I have copied this from the oficial website. I hope it is of help to anyone looking to buy tickets for next year.

The Tattoo was broadcast on BBC TV in UK this weekend and it reminded me that it's almost thirty years since we went to see it.

Made me want to go and see it, so I looked on the website.

All tickets are sold out.

The max ticket price is £40 so it would be interesting to know what the ship excursion costs. I am sure that the cruises take a fair block of the tickets as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for visitors from afar.

It really is a fantastic show and from what I saw last night and my memories from our visit, it has a really warm international feel that the crowd really get into.

BTW there was even a New England Volunteers fife band.

The Russians were hilarious. Nice reminder of our Baltic cruise

Gotta go look at Youtube now

When I checked the Princess excursion book, it listed the excursion at $107 to $119 pp. Well worth it, though! Our seats were about halfway up towards the center - good view - and there was a very large block of cruise passengers around us, be they from Princess or another line, there was no way of telling.

Charlie

When I checked the Princess excursion book, it listed the excursion at $107 to $119 pp. Well worth it, though! Our seats were about halfway up towards the center - good view - and there was a very large block of cruise passengers around us, be they from Princess or another line, there was no way of telling.

Charlie

That's not too bad then assuming that it includes coach transfers.

The tickets range from £22 to £40 which would be about $90

:( :confused: :( As it turns out we are on the July 25, 2008 sailing of the Grand, British Isles Cruise. While they have the ship listed as staying in port until 1:00 AM, on our stop in Edinburg, it's a SUNDAY!!!!!!!! The Tattoo runs Monday - Saturday, a no go on Sundays :(

Anyone have any thoughts on this??????????

Anne

:( :confused: :( As it turns out we are on the July 25, 2008 sailing of the Grand, British Isles Cruise. While they have the ship listed as staying in port until 1:00 AM, on our stop in Edinburg, it's a SUNDAY!!!!!!!! The Tattoo runs Monday - Saturday, a no go on Sundays :(

Anyone have any thoughts on this??????????

Anne

Looking at your itinerary, it looks to me like you have an overnight in Edinburgh. Sounds perfect. Monday sightseeing then off to the Tattoo.:)

No, we leave at 1 AM, Monday is a SEADAY. Originally looking at the itinary the 1 AM made sense since we would be getting back to the ship late after the Tattoo. Now none of it makes sense :confused:

An overnight WOULD be delightful however, if someone could just sell Pnincess on it :rolleyes:

Looking at your itinerary, it looks to me like you have an overnight in Edinburgh. Sounds perfect. Monday sightseeing then off to the Tattoo.:)

Archived