Mobile Phone Coverage

Morning all, just wondering if anyone can tell me how far out the mobile phone coverage goes from Brisbane. I mean if we head out on Saturday on the Star to Noumea (God I hope so !!) how long is it before no mobile coverage on Telstra CDMA if that makes any difference ?

cheers

Vanessa

Last time we sailed on the Sky (way back in 2005) I was with Vodaphone and was able to make 1 final farewell call to my mum from around about the glasshouse mountains. You may get a bit of coverage as the ship passes through the Caloundra area but i'm not certain. With the way phone technology is now though you could even get coverage a bit further out?

Last time we sailed on the Sky (way back in 2005) I was with Vodaphone and was able to make 1 final farewell call to my mum from around about the glasshouse mountains. You may get a bit of coverage as the ship passes through the Caloundra area but i'm not certain. With the way phone technology is now though you could even get coverage a bit further out?

thanks MsMinx,

HE is hoping to be able to call home to find out the footy score ! But, they don't play until Sunday morning so I think we'll be long gone and no coverage by then.

cheers

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

You will get mobile coverage for about 5 hours after leaving portside in Brisbane.

After the pilot gets off at Mooloolaba you will soon loose it if bound for Noumea or other Pacific islands.

If on a coastal voyage there is coverage when near various towns on the coast & in the Whitsundays.

John

Hi Vanessa

You will get mobile coverage for about 5 hours after leaving portside in Brisbane.

After the pilot gets off at Mooloolaba you will soon loose it if bound for Noumea or other Pacific islands.

If on a coastal voyage there is coverage when near various towns on the coast & in the Whitsundays.

John

Thanks John,

In the P&O Book there is a number for the Pacific Star 0011 872 3232 69910. Is this only for emergencies from shore to ship or can they leave messages for passengers - not necessarily to talk to them ? Otherwise, I'll just have to get someone to email me the result to him HIM happy !

Vanessa

I think that number is the sat phone number for the ship - it is very expensive.

Try to find the email address & they would then pass on the message.

John

I'm sure the final result for the local Under 14's (and my sanity) is worth the expense :eek: :D

cheers

Vanessa

check with your mobile phone carrier to see if you can switch your phone to international roaming. I'm pretty sure it will work from Noumea, but the smaller islands will probably not have base stations, so it wont help much there.

check with your mobile phone carrier to see if you can switch your phone to international roaming. I'm pretty sure it will work from Noumea, but the smaller islands will probably not have base stations, so it wont help much there.

Excellent idea Carlz !

I'll give Telstra a call.

cheers

Vanessa

Telstra has international roaming agreements with carriers in Noumea and New Caledonia if you have a GSM phone. If you have a CDMA phone it won't work and if you have a Next G phone you need to alter some settings to get international roaming. Check out:

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/products/videocalling/nextg_devices.cfm (for next g settings)

Cheers Rach

Would it be worth calling home from a pay phone in Noumea to get the results? If you can be bothered waiting for your email page to load onboard though, it's probably the easiest and cheapest way to get the results! Mind you your DH could end up having so much fun he just might forget that he even cares about the under 14's footy results :p There's always hope anyway LOL!

Unfortunately, not much chance of that Minxy ! The boys do love their footy and I must admit (to you guys not to HIM !) I would have loved to see our 13yr old out there too :cool:

never mind, just have to make the finals again next year...and I'll make sure our next cruise doesn't clash. Optimism...this is good :)

With Global roaming you get coverage in Noumea & Vila, and a bit at Isle of Pines, but it's very weak. Not sure about the other islands. We're hoping we'll have it at Lifou as well - as we're expecting news of the birth of a friend's child while we're away.

Hi SouthAussie 100,

I bought a $20.00 phone card on board the Pacific Star last year. go to pursers desk. (a lot cheaper than going through the sat phone of ship.)

you call from your cabin, put in pin etc. anytime.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

I don't remember getting reception on Lifou.

Oh well, we know we'll have coverage in Vila, and if we haven't heard anyting by then we'll just have to hang in suspense until we get back to Brisbane, bu which time there'll be another addtion to our list of 'pretend' neices and nephews.

We know she'll be having it sometime that week, but it depends when her doctor can get her into the hospital, as she knows she'll be having a caesarean (for medical reasons).

Hi SouthAussie 100,

I bought a $20.00 phone card on board the Pacific Star last year. go to pursers desk. (a lot cheaper than going through the sat phone of ship.)

you call from your cabin, put in pin etc. anytime.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Excellent thanks Lorraine !

problem solved :D

cheers

Vanessa

Archived