Word is...

When we asked the activities director at our Meet & Mingle on Liberty last week what ship would replace Mariner at Port Canaveral, his thought was that it was going to be Explorer of the Seas. Interesting!

Explorer is continuing to sail out of Cape Liberty for at least the early part of 2009. Highly unlikely that they will move it. Independance is sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, both Freedom and Liberty are in Miami. Mariner's route is covered by Freedom, so maybe they will leave Port Canaveral with only Sovereign.

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago and at our Meet & Mingle The CD, Dennis said he believes it will be a larger ship. There will definitely be another ship other than the Sovereign at Port Canaveral.

VERY FUNNY!!!!!

they better give us Cape Liberty people a ship.....we'll take Independence! As long as it is at least voyager class......

Think you will find that Independence will be on her way back to England in April 09 - as this ship has sold so well in England in her inaugural season I think they will let the Brits keep her for another season.

They always move the ships every couple of years. Voyager was the first ship to sail out of Cape Liberty which was then replaced by the Explorer. I would expect Explorer to move from Cape Liberty in the near future and possibly be replaced by a Freedom Class ship in 2009.

We were on the Mariner a few weeks ago and at our Meet & Mingle The CD, Dennis said he believes it will be a larger ship. There will definitely be another ship other than the Sovereign at Port Canaveral.

This November will be DH and my first cruise....if they dont replace Mariner with something that is still 7 day where the Sovereign is NOT then what is the point...one could go out on the cheaper Carnival ships :mad:. I think my addiction to cruising will be stopped before it starts if there isnt anything to replace Mariner...sheesh....Port Canaveral is about 35 40 minutes from where I live...whats the point going anwhere else...Not a big fan of Disney....Not a partier to want to go on Carnival...man...just the thought...we dont have HAL, NCL, or Celebrity....that would really slow down the port.....arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katie

The captain on Explorer said that the Explorer would be sailing out of NJ year round. Also, would a larger ship fit under the Verrazano (sp?) bridge that the ships have to go under to get out to sea?

probably not...but one can always dream.....sheesh.....wonder if we can dredge out the hudson??!!!

They always move the ships every couple of years. Voyager was the first ship to sail out of Cape Liberty which was then replaced by the Explorer. I would expect Explorer to move from Cape Liberty in the near future and possibly be replaced by a Freedom Class ship in 2009.

but will it fit???? sounds like a letterman skit!! anyone ever see 'will it float??""

Remember, Freedom fit under the Verrazano for her pre-inaugural and inaugural cruises last year, Liberty did too this past May. Saw that one with my own two eyes :D

I'd be happy keeping Explorer here in NJ but a Freedom class would do just fine.

The Freedom class ships will fit under the bridge... there is no increase in height from the Voyager Class, only length.

Independence is definately going back to the UK in 2009, the cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton in April of that year is already available to book.

My GUESS is that from January to April (Itineraries are pretty much set until April 09 now) there will be no 7 day ship out of Canaveral. When they go into the new season, Liberty or Freedom will move up, making space for Genesis is Miami/Ft Lauderdale that fall.

This November will be DH and my first cruise....if they dont replace Mariner with something that is still 7 day where the Sovereign is NOT then what is the point...one could go out on the cheaper Carnival ships :mad:. I think my addiction to cruising will be stopped before it starts if there isnt anything to replace Mariner...sheesh....Port Canaveral is about 35 40 minutes from where I live...whats the point going anwhere else...Not a big fan of Disney....Not a partier to want to go on Carnival...man...just the thought...we dont have HAL, NCL, or Celebrity....that would really slow down the port.....arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katie

I feel the same way. You could always drive to Tampa and catch the Grandeur or catch one of the HAL ships. Tampa's not as far as Miami :)

The Freedom class ships will fit under the bridge... there is no increase in height from the Voyager Class, only length.

Independence is definately going back to the UK in 2009, the cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton in April of that year is already available to book.

My GUESS is that from January to April (Itineraries are pretty much set until April 09 now) there will be no 7 day ship out of Canaveral. When they go into the new season, Liberty or Freedom will move up, making space for Genesis is Miami/Ft Lauderdale that fall.

Yes, I agree with you. Most itineraries are out at least until April 2009, with the exceptions for Brilliance and Legend out til May 09, Mariner out until August 09, and Splendour and Vision out until March 09. They will probably move around the ships May 2009. I can't wait until they open up the itineraries after for that, as it will be interesting to see what will happen with the shuffle. They will probably do this next year, probably Spring. That is probably when some details about the Genesis will be released.

Katie

Well for me nothing is convenient :rolleyes:, but I sure do like sailing out of Port Canaveral. No hassles, easy to get to and from.....and the last time (2005) we sailed from there, we stayed an extra week at Ron Jon's Resort and that was just great. It has my vote for another ship.

When we asked the activities director at our Meet & Mingle on Liberty last week what ship would replace Mariner at Port Canaveral, his thought was that it was going to be Explorer of the Seas. Interesting!

smiley-shocked.gif

Can't be too soon...itineraries are up till 2009 :rolleyes:

Cape Liberty is too new for Royal to not have a ship here!

They need to keep a voyager class here!!

but will it fit???? sounds like a letterman skit!! anyone ever see 'will it float??""

Well, considering the Liberty of the Seas (Freedom Class) was docked at Cape Liberty this past May for it's first pre-inaugural cruises I would say it will fit. Also Cape Liberty is in the process of expanding their port facilities which will enable it to handle even more ships. We've also heard rumors MSC Cruises may be moving to Cape Liberty. With Royal's permission of course.

Archived