7 Days, with only 1 Sea Day -- Too Much?

Leo Jay

We're considering the 7 day US & Canada Dawn itinerary for next year, and I'm curious to get feedback about what it's like to have only 1 sea day followed by a port every day, particularly from anyone who (like us) had been accustomed to sailing down to the Carribean from NY, with those two leisurely seadays at the start and end of your trip. Do passengers tend to get off at every port? Do you feel you get enough time to relax? Are you wiped out at the end of your trip? :D

We're considering the 7 day US & Canada Dawn itinerary for next year, and I'm curious to get feedback about what it's like to have only 1 sea day followed by a port every day, particularly from anyone who (like us) had been accustomed to sailing down to the Carribean from NY, with those two leisurely seadays at the start and end of your trip. Do passengers tend to get off at every port? Do you feel you get enough time to relax? Are you wiped out at the end of your trip? :D

Did an NCl cruise from San Juan that did exotic Southern Caribbean that had NO sea days back in 2002... so it's very doable, and of course, if you d not want to, you do not HAVE to get off the ship if you just want to relax :)

Sometimes if I've visited a port already (depending on how much there is to do) I'll stay on the ship and pretend it's a sea day. Those can be some of the most fun days; it's almost like having the ship to yourselves. ENJOY!!

Sometimes if I've visited a port already (depending on how much there is to do) I'll stay on the ship and pretend it's a sea day. Those can be some of the most fun days; it's almost like having the ship to yourselves. ENJOY!!

We're fans of Port days, but have done the same. As said, it is nice to almost have the ship to yourself.

It depends, DH prefers a port intensive cruise; this would please him to no end. I lean a little toward a few more days at sea. As for getting off at each port if we have been to a port before and the port isn't one of our favorites we love just relaxing on board and have the ship to ourselves. If it is a port we like, but have toured more than once, we often get off the ship, walk around a bit and then head back. Never do we feel exhausted if we break things up a bit. A couple of Southern Caribbean cruises have been very port intensive: we still have a great time. Just pace yourselves.

Nita

Everything you like about sea days is even better if you stay on the ship on Port days. Way less crowded that a sea day when eveyone is on th eship. You basically have the pool area / restaurants / promenade deck / etc to yourself. Also, spa runs lots of specials. Only drawback would be lack of breeze due to motion of the ship.

On port days, there usually are not pool activities and the poolside band. On cruises with 1 or no sea days, will the band play while in port, and will there be activities while at port (the ones that usually take place while at sea - belly flop contests, etc.)?

On port days, there usually are not pool activities and the poolside band. On cruises with 1 or no sea days, will the band play while in port, and will there be activities while at port (the ones that usually take place while at sea - belly flop contests, etc.)?

I know that I've come back on board a few times during Caribbean cruises, and the band was sometimes playing when I boarded, but I haven't paid enough attention to be sure if that's always the case.

Thanks for the feedback; I think we might end up trying it, if we think we'll be able to resist the urge to get off at every port out of fear that we might be missing out on something good! :D

Hanging out on a less-crowded ship does sound like fun!

Staying onboard is cool. Yes, you sort of feel like you are missing something. Still, if you do go ashore, you do NOT have to take a tour. Sometimes just a nice walk around town is great. Burn off some of that food (some of us eat too much of what others call bad food).

Walk down some side streets, see a little of how folks live there. Of course, New England/Canada will not be much different that the states, but...

Staying onboard is cool. Yes, you sort of feel like you are missing something. Still, if you do go ashore, you do NOT have to take a tour. Sometimes just a nice walk around town is great. Burn off some of that food (some of us eat too much of what others call bad food).

Walk down some side streets, see a little of how folks live there. Of course, New England/Canada will not be much different that the states, but...

Yeah, we're not big on tours, we've done a 5-day cruise to Halifax and St. John before and preferred just walking around on our own, and visiting the sites we wanted on our own schedule.

I am a BIG FAN of staying on the ship when everyone is in port - specifically in ports that we are not big fans of. We do not like Grand Caymon (we are not beach people), so as an example, we happily will stay on board while others go to port, and enjoy the ship to ourselves, with our choice of lounge chair. :)

Archived