Copenhagen Marriot

I can see that I goofed. I knew I should have accepted the $114. If it comes back tomorrow, I will book it. I hope everyone is correct and that the only 4 star on Priceline is the Marriott.

Thanks, dog, let us know about the coffee. I got out my converters tonight trying to figure out which one goes for Europe....been a long time since I took a hotpot for coffee.

Re: 4 * star in Copenhagen...you can never be sure of getting a certain hotel on priceline bidding.

There are other 4* properties in town that participate, however, since I've been looking at priceline for a year now the Marriott is the only 4* that I have seen being given....but it is a chance you take...also, if you accept before you know the hotel...it is charged to your credit card. You cannot find out the hotel for sure until you actually book it.

For that price, I was more than willing to take the risk. I saw very few get a good offer shortly after I booked. It is non refundable...but less than 1/2 the price. Breakfast is not included in the priceline price. I will post about breakfast places when I return.

dog

Hey dog,

In addition to finding out about the coffee (ask at the desk if you can get a hot pot or coffee maker, if there isn't any in the lobby).......

Will you make a note to find out about Princesses return from the ship to the airport....they usually offer a tour with a drop off at the airport for people whose flights aren't until late afternoon or evening. Our flight isn't until 3:50pm, SAS to Seattle, and since we come in at 1pm the day before the cruise, won't have time to do any serious sightseeing (just nap) precruise. We have been to Copenhagen before, but it would be nice to do something the day of departure other than sit at the airport.

Find out the cost of the tour also. Thanks

My timer is set for 5pm when I can try Priceline again. Becky

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around this past weekend.

OD - good luck with your continued bidding.

I am trying to think back, I do not remember there being a coffee pot in the room to make coffee, but I could be wrong. But there was a coffee in the hotel lobby by the front desk where I was able to get coffee, so that might be an option.

As for how to get to the Marriott from the airport... I bought a Copenhagen Card and used that to ride the train from the airport to the central train station. It was a quick 15 minute ride. Got off the train and walked with my luggage to the Copenhagen Marriott. I will tell you though, if I had to do it again with all of the luggage, I might take a taxi rather than walk. The walking distance isn't that far and only took about 10 minutes. But with luggage in tow it was difficult and hot and heavy! The only problem I've heard about taking taxis from the train station to the hotel is that since it's so close, some taxi's don't want to take you.

The majority of taxi's in Copenhagen take credit card. Just confirm in advance with the driver if that is how you would like to pay. There is also an ATM and exchange booth at the airport for your use if you want to get DKK that way. Both are along the wall immediately to your left as you exit the baggage claim areat at Terminal 3 at CPH.

The taxi fare from airport to hotel will run you approximately 150-170 DKK, somewhere in that neighborhood. Taxi's are not cheap in Copenhagen. Even if you don't get the Copenhagen card, if you are a do-it-yourselfer, then take the train. The train pick up is right there at terminal 3 at the airport. follow the signs to track 2. it literally is a 3 minute walk to the far end of the terminal and down a ramp once you exit baggage claim. it's quick, cheap, and convenient.

if you have any other questions regarding copenhagen, the marriott or anything else, feel free to ask. i took lots of notes while I was there.

Hi, we just got home last night and stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott for two nights after our cruise. No coffee maker in the room, but the free coffee in the lobby is excellent!

We loved this hotel. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. The room was huge, especially by European standards, and we had a great view of the Tivoli fireworks.

We also took the DFDS canal boat tour from the hotel at 9:45 am. It was MUCH less crowded than the ones we saw leaving from Nyhavn the previous day. This one stops to pick up passengers in Gammel Stand.

I just received an E-mail from Priceline offering hotels in Copenhagen starting at $155. That makes me happy with the $130 I paid.

By the way, you can pay an extra $5 a night to get 'travel insurance' in the event you need to cancel. Since we are booking so far ahead, it sounded like a good idea to me.

What cruise are you on in May? I got that email also, but I am looking for a hotel near the airport in Copenhagen. Just want to grab some sleep and head to the ship the next am, so would prefer not to go into town.

Does anyone have any tips on what hotels show up in the airport area?

Dennis

I just checked my dates for the Marriott at the hotel's site. If I booked today it would be $300+ per night with breakfast plan. When I started looking last fall it was about $275 per night with breakfast.

So by going with priceline, I am paying $100 per night without breakfast.

I often check the notices from priceline such as the one for $155 we received today, but when I enter my dates that price is not offered.

The cruising season prices are much higher unless you do the bid.

There is another site to refer to before you bid: www.biddingfortravel.com you can see what others have bid and what hotels are being offered.

The Hilton is a 3 or 4 star by the airport. From the map, it looks like you'll have to go through town to get to the ship anyway.

Finally got the Marriott Copenhagen for next May for $110 plus tax. Thank you all for your information and encouragement. It got a little frustrating but we are happy with the results.

Now we will have to decide how we want to get to the hotel. Probably taxi, but you said it was spendy. What is the currency exchange?

Jst ducky, did you take a cab from the hotel to the port? Do you remember what that cost was? Were there others at the hotel going also, to share a cab with?

Thanks again, everybody.

Glad to hear it. That is a great price for a hotel in Copenhagen. I know it was nerve wracking but you did it. As for the cab, yes, it is spendy. I'm waiting to see how much luggage I have and what the weather is like. Raining or super hot and forget the train, I'm in a cab for certain. As I said, I guess I can justify the cost because of the money saved in the hotel price. I am hoping to find others staying there though through rollcall so we can split the cost to the ship. Congrats to you!

Congrats from the C.Marriott.

taxi was 190 dkk from airport to marriott

i got room on 9th floor looking out toward tivoli...nice room. very nice for the price....i just walked up to front desk , gave my name, she said prepaid in full with taxes and put me on executive level. no food though.

taxi to stroget city centre is about 10 $ can. but most can walk it

update on my roll call when i return and on here

Finally got the Marriott Copenhagen for next May for $110 plus tax. Thank you all for your information and encouragement. It got a little frustrating but we are happy with the results.

Now we will have to decide how we want to get to the hotel. Probably taxi, but you said it was spendy. What is the currency exchange?

Jst ducky, did you take a cab from the hotel to the port? Do you remember what that cost was? Were there others at the hotel going also, to share a cab with?

Thanks again, everybody.

Congrats Oregon Duck!!!

Ok, let's see. I had my Copenhagen Card, and since all public transportation is included with the CPH card, I took the train from the airport terminal direct to the central train station. From the Central Train Station to the Copenhagen Marriott was 10 minute walk. I would take the train all over again. However, instead of walking the 10 minutes to the hotel, I'd probably grab a cab and go that way.

The train is a quick, easy and cheap alternative to the taxi. As mentioned, the taxi can be quite costly.

The current exchange rate is roughly 5.5 DKK per dollar. So a 190 DKK taxi fare would come out to roughly $34.

If you want more info about the train, let me know... i took some extensive notes!

PS - can i ask you a quick question about globus... when you take the tour, do they tell you what the recommended tip amount is for the driver, for the tour guide etc? i want to figure out approximately how much this may all cost in total.

thanks

Hi Jstducky,

I can't see that we will get the Copenhagen card, as we will only be there for a short overnite and then head to the ship the next day. Maybe take the morning canal tour which runs from the hotel, don't know the cost?????? And I think we will take a cab from airport to hotel. But do you recall what the train fare is from airport to hotel???? you said it was cheap. Were there other cruise people staying at the hotel. Were you able to share a cab to the port, or go on your own?

As for Globus tips: I looked at our last tour which was 2001 (we were caught in Boston during 9/11-) It says:

To further help your budgeting: recommended tipping guidelines for $US2 to $US5 per tour member for your tour director and US$2 to US$5 per tour day per tour member for your driver.

Thanks for helping me and glad I can help you. Becky

Hi Jstducky,

I can't see that we will get the Copenhagen card, as we will only be there for a short overnite and then head to the ship the next day. Maybe take the morning canal tour which runs from the hotel, don't know the cost?????? And I think we will take a cab from airport to hotel. But do you recall what the train fare is from airport to hotel???? you said it was cheap. Were there other cruise people staying at the hotel. Were you able to share a cab to the port, or go on your own?

As for Globus tips: I looked at our last tour which was 2001 (we were caught in Boston during 9/11-) It says:

To further help your budgeting: recommended tipping guidelines for $US2 to $US5 per tour member for your tour director and US$2 to US$5 per tour day per tour member for your driver.

Thanks for helping me and glad I can help you. Becky

Becky - I believe that the train ticket from the airport direct to the Central Train Station cost 25 DKK, which is a little less than $5 per person. the trip lasts about 15 minutes and is quick, easy and comfortable. taking your luggage on to the train is not a problem. the train station is right there at the international terminal, when you exit baggage claim you'll see the train track straight ahead of you.

there were lots of other cruise people staying at the hotel. we actually took a morning walking tour of the city and returned to the hotel at 1 pm. we are a party of 3 so we filled one cab. the cab cost from the hotel to the freeport pier was 115 DKK, about $21. remember though that freeport pier is the further away of the 2 piers in copenhagen.

the cost of the canal tour from the hotel in the morning should run 60 DKK, about $11 per person. and i believe the tour leaves at 9:45 am.

if you have other questions about CPH, let me know!

now i have a question for you - when you went on your globus tour, did you have globus book air for you? or did you book air on your own? if you booked air on your own, or if you know of others who did, did they just have to make their way to the hotel on their own and meet the tour guide at the designated time? or how does that work to do it on your own?

thanks!

We have always done our own air, because no company will fly us out of Eugene and by the time we get our own air, it is ALWAYS CHEAPER than what the tour company or cruise company can get for us.

Sometimes we have bought the transfers from the airport (from New Zealand) from San Diego to Ensenada. We try to use FF miles when we can. We have flown to London six times, Zurich, Rome (hired a driver for the transfer both to the city and to the port and back to the airport-much cheaper than the transfers from Rccl).

We always do our own air within the US. And we try to come in at least one day before the cruise or tour, with the exception of the 9/11 Cape Cod and the Islands tour in 2001. We are limited here in Eugene, but we have always been able to do better. To Copenhagen we are flying Eug/Sea, Sea/Cph SAS. $400 cheaper per person than Princess. Good luck.

And thanks for the information on the taxi's. We will use it. Becky

thanks Becky - the air I can find now for the globus tour I want is about $80 cheaper than what globus is offering. but of course the globus price includes the transfers to the hotel. although i am assuming that the cost of a taxi ride from the airport to the hotel in Munich, and hotel to airport in Vienna can't be that much, can they?

so when you did the globus tours, you just booked the air on your own and met up with the tour director at the hotel on the day the tour began?

When we were using Globus in Europe they were not charging for transfers, and they had regular times for their airport runs, and fortunately we were able to take advantage of it. So we didn't have to purchase any, including Copenhagen. Now I think they they do charge. I know Trafalgar and Insight do not. We purchased a transfer in Auckland, New Zealand from Colette. I would check with Globus and find out what their policy is. If you are staying over in a hotel find out if they have shuttle service or a transfer service. Seems like many of the things included in cruising and tours have gone by the way side. In fact, I think Princess is charging for the transfers even tho' you buy their air.

Most of our money exchange has been for transportation and that is what I am trying to figure out for Copenhagen. Cab to hotel, cab to ship, canal tour, food......for our Brilliance cruise in Oct. we will be needing transportation to the hotel, and I save 150 E from our trip 2 years ago. Since the Euro/dollar rate is so much worse, now I'm glad I kept some.

Becky

thanks for the info!

when i went to the Med last year, I had some leftover Euros, but we were fine with it as we figured we'd be back in Europe again soon. when I went to the Baltics this year, boy was I glad I had some leftover Euros since the difference in exchange rate between last year and this year was pretty big.

I can only imagine that the exchange rate 2 years ago was even better!

Those Euros will really come in handy for you!

Jstducky,

Hope your Globus plans are in place. Sounds lovely.

I have one more quesion on taxi's. You told me approximately the cost of cab, airport to hotel and hotel to ship, how about from ship back to airport? I see that Princess charges $50 pp for the transfer, wow. That's almost as bad as Rome.

Trying to figure out how much DKk we will need. Don't want to end up with too much.

I remember you said the taxis take ccards, but would prefer not to go that route.

Thanks. Becky

Just back. Had 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise at the Copenhagen Marriott. It was great for the price I paid and the staff there were all wonderful to us.

It is a bit of a walk into town but there is the bus and also canal boats to use for transportation and taxis were always lined up in front of the hotel.

Coffee by front desk...but I think it was removed before noon each day. Mini bar in room is on sensor so you can't remove a drink and not pay for it or put your own drinks in it. There is ice available.

No coffee makers in rooms.

Long lineups on cruise days between 11:45-1:00 pm, at front desk.

You can buy an internet card at front desk and print out your boarding pass in the business centre.

Concierge will confirm airline and restaurant reservations for you.

They will also hold your luggage if you arrive early in morning, until you can check in. I did see a couple of people get early morning checkin, but they have a sign that says check in is 4 pm.

If you have special requests you should email the Marriott directly for that.

A great choice!

dog

My 9/9/07 roll call has some useful information on it for future cruisers.

Jstducky,

Hope your Globus plans are in place. Sounds lovely.

I have one more quesion on taxi's. You told me approximately the cost of cab, airport to hotel and hotel to ship, how about from ship back to airport? I see that Princess charges $50 pp for the transfer, wow. That's almost as bad as Rome.

Trying to figure out how much DKk we will need. Don't want to end up with too much.

I remember you said the taxis take ccards, but would prefer not to go that route.

Thanks. Becky

I wrote taxis prices out so I will post after I unpack. Going through "return jetlag now".

dog

Hi Dog,

You said the mini bar was on sensor so you couldn't put things in. I have never heard of this. I was planning on picking up some snacks and drinks at the little store near Town Square and stowing them in the frige. If I take things out so I have room but don't use them, just set them aside, how can they charge me even if I trip the sensor? Do they charge for the "use" of the mini bar frige?:confused:

Hi Dog,

You said the mini bar was on sensor so you couldn't put things in. I have never heard of this. I was planning on picking up some snacks and drinks at the little store near Town Square and stowing them in the frige. If I take things out so I have room but don't use them, just set them aside, how can they charge me even if I trip the sensor? Do they charge for the "use" of the mini bar frige?:confused:

My first experience with these types of hotel refridgerators was in France, Italy and England about 2 years ago. The refridgerator is hooked up to charge anything that is removed for a few seconds, it goes on your hotel bill immediately.

I do not like it! I always bring my own drinks and like to chill them. And many European hotels do not have ice available like we do in America. The Copenhagen Marriott does provide an ice bucket and ice machine on each floor. (free)

They have a note, I believe about the mini bar not being provided for your individual drinks and the luggage guy also mentioned it to us.

It seems to be the way now, as I also experienced this in some top U.S. hotels in the past year.

Sorry, to provide this information to you. If you try priceline and get the Marriott for $100 US plus $32 US taxes per night...it will seem like a minor inconvience, maybe :confused:

Hi Dog,

I did get the Marriott at a great price on Priceline, but I have to say this new way of dealing with folks using the mini bar is awful. i haven't run across it yet and I'm glad. You are right about the ice though. At least they have that. Most don't. Is there any room at all if I want to buy something to nibble for breakfast? A piece of fruit or cheese perhaps or is it packed full?

My flight gets in early and I was planning on dropping of my luggage then heading to Town Hall Square to look around and pick up some snacks before being able to get in my room to check things out. One other question, will I be able to find Coke to take a few cans on the ship and enjoy in the hotel? I must have Coke, no substitute, not even Pepsi. It's a quirk of mine and I don't want to lug Coke all the way from home. glad you had a good time. Now all you need is to rest from your vacation.

Hi Dog,

I did get the Marriott at a great price on Priceline, but I have to say this new way of dealing with folks using the mini bar is awful. i haven't run across it yet and I'm glad. You are right about the ice though. At least they have that. Most don't. Is there any room at all if I want to buy something to nibble for breakfast? A piece of fruit or cheese perhaps or is it packed full?

My flight gets in early and I was planning on dropping of my luggage then heading to Town Hall Square to look around and pick up some snacks before being able to get in my room to check things out. One other question, will I be able to find Coke to take a few cans on the ship and enjoy in the hotel? I must have Coke, no substitute, not even Pepsi. It's a quirk of mine and I don't want to lug Coke all the way from home. glad you had a good time. Now all you need is to rest from your vacation.

I wouldn't count on using the refridgerator to store your stuff. Bring zip lock baggies and set your stuff in the ice bucket.

There is a small variety store a couple of blocks from the Marriott. Walk out the front door of Marriott and go right to the corner, cross the street and walk up towards the old town a couple of blocks for milk, pop, beer, snacks.

Also, we shopped in the basement of Illums dept. store in mid area of the Stroget for wine, drinks, fruit etc. It's an interesting grocery dept. in the dept. store. Magasin store has the same things.

Yes, they all have coke products. Not worth lugging drinks from home.

Now, restaurants, cafes in old town area of Copenhagen...prices are atleast twice of what we pay in America.

The stores I mentioned are what we would consider expensive, but not outrageous.

RE: taxis...they are metered, but always ask what it will cost before accepting the ride.

I will post actual prices on my thread: Just back....later on.

Archived