Bedding Option

CLOU

We recently were upgraded to a Butler suite on the Navigator. On the Butler request form on the RSSC website, it gives me a bedding choice. I think I want the hypo-allergenic pillows, but for bedding, it gives me the choice of a blanket (which is the default selection checked) or a single or double duvet. On past cruises, we have had individual down type bed covering, which I am assuming was a duvet, but I am not sure what the blanket would be like versus the duvet. Can anyone enlighten me?

If you have a queen bed you'll probably want a large douvet, vice 2 singles. There are always blankets in the closet. We have our bed made up a special way and we just tell our stewardess when we arrive. It's always done before bed time. We're in packing mode for Voyager right now. We leave in the morning for Copenhagen.

We were upgraded from Category E to a Penthouse A. We had to pay $150, which may not be worth it, since I am not sure how much I will use a butler, but we thought for a relatively minor amount, it was worth a try, also getting the higher cabin. I have a lot more questions about that level cabin, which I will also post.

We had not booked a guaranty, we had booked a specific cabin - 711. They contacted our travel agent with the upgrade offer. The offer was for Penthouse A or B, there were 3 suites to choose from. This will be our 8th cruise with Radisson/Regent. I don't know if that has anything to do with the offer. I also don't know how well the cruise sold. It is a Black Sea cruise, which is not a common destination. On the other hand, I think Regen only sials there once or twice a year. Anyway, we decided to give it a shot.

A duvet is a down cover - you say "comforter" in the US - in a sheet-like pillowcase. You use it instead of blankets and sheets. It is wider and longer than a "comforter". It is infinitely more comfortable! It is light, and keeps you both warm and cool - if you want heat, you wrap it more around you. If you want cool, you stick your foot out. It is used widely in Europe. You do NOT want to put a blanket on top of the duvet. That would ruin its heat retaining capabilities...

However if there are two of you, it is better to have one duvet each rather than share one. Reason: One person feels cool and pulls the duvet over. The other person is duvet-less and therefore really IS cool!!

Our experience on RSSC is that we ask for one bed, made up of the two mattresses with one sheet on top and two duvets. You mentioned hypo-allergenic pillows. If you are allergic to feathers than you do not want feather duvets. These are far superior to foam ones, but you might sneeze!!

With duvets, you will sleep well!!

Comettgirl - you are very interested in upgrades so this is what I know. Regent does not normally upgrade. It happens very seldom so the likelihood of an upgrade is probably not that good. They will if a specific cabin is required for their purposes.

For instance a family of 10 wants to be next to each other. You are in a cabin right in the middle of where they want to put these people. They offer you an upgrade to get that cabin for that booking of 5 cabin.

Maintenance needs to be performed on the cabin you booked.

There are not many on a deck so they close the deck and move people up to another deck.

Someone wants your specific cabin and will stay on for multiple voyages. They upgrade you and get a multiple cruise booking.

Things of this nature cause upgrades to happen.

On certain cruises they do call and offer upgrades for a minimal amount to larger suites. This normally happens about a month before sailing. You can not request this option to my knowledge they just select people and make the offer. They can sell those lower level cabins much easier than those big suites on certain cruises.

Hope that helps clarify the situation of upgrades for you.

You mentioned hypo-allergenic pillows. If you are allergic to feathers than you do not want feather duvets. These are far superior to foam ones, but you might sneeze!!

With duvets, you will sleep well!!

We are booked on the Navigator in December. Both my husband and I are allergic to down(alas, no feather-softness for us).

Is this the standard bedding on the Navigator? We are in a category D cabin. Will I be able to request changes ahead of sailing or should I plan to notify my cabin attendant on board?

We are booked on the Navigator in December. Both my husband and I are allergic to down(alas, no feather-softness for us).

Is this the standard bedding on the Navigator? We are in a category D cabin. Will I be able to request changes ahead of sailing or should I plan to notify my cabin attendant on board?

My husband cannot stand the heat of the duvet so I always ask for and receive "American" bedmaking. That means two sheets and one blanket just the way we usually make the bed at home. I request this before the cruise by internet and have always found the bed made the way we like it when we board the ship. I wouldn't mind a single duvet for myself, but that wouldn't work very well with the blanket!!

Jean

Archived