london to dover

pasantia

Where are our manners? Welcome to CC, pasantia!

what are the available transport option from London to Dover?
A quick search throws up:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=595086

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=589823

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=400006

How difficllt is it to carry luggage in the train?
Not very. You just need to be able to raise it several inches to get it from the platform to the floor level of the train, and then swing it onto the train itself. Once inside the carriage, you just need to stow it somewhere sensible - improvisation is usually the order of the day as these trains are commuter trains (although if you're travelling to the ship, you'll be going in the opposite direction to all the traffic).

Not very. You just need to be able to raise it several inches to get it from the platform to the floor level of the train, and then swing it onto the train itself. Once inside the carriage, you just need to stow it somewhere sensible - improvisation is usually the order of the day as these trains are commuter trains (although if you're travelling to the ship, you'll be going in the opposite direction to all the traffic).
Hi Globaliser - If my wife and I have two bags each - will this present any problems on the train. Would you say the train system is relatively easy to use and understand. Do you have any recommendations for reasonable hotels (<$200.00 per night) in central London Town.

If my wife and I have two bags each - will this present any problems on the train. Would you say the train system is relatively easy to use and understand. Do you have any recommendations for reasonable hotels (<$200.00 per night) in central London Town.
The trains are very straightforward to use, especially if you don't have to change trains. There is plenty of information available; you just need to keep your eyes open to see it. Two bags per person is not a problem unless you're travelling at a busy time of the day (which most cruise passengers won't be). It increases the amount of space you need in total, but there's usually plenty of space all round so no problem.

There are plenty of discussions on the boards about hotels in central London, so if you have a search you'll find much accumulated wisdom.

• 2 weeks later...

We are using National Express bus from Heathrow to central London to Dover. The price is less than $20 for both of us. They run approx. every hour. Check out their web site, "Fun Fares". If you want to use the train, I don't think you will have a problem as long as you can get your luggage onto the train without assistance. If you have oversized bags, it may be a problem.

Good luck and Happy Cruising.

Joanne

Archived