Do you own enough formal wear?

Kan't Wait

I bought formal skirt today that I don't really need, okay I don't need it but I love the color and it was a great price. So now I own 4 formal skirts, 7 timeless formal dresses, 5 cocktail dresses and 4 evening slacks. Not to mention all the evening bags and wraps. I would like to know how much formal clothing you ladies own. I feel like I have enough bordering on too much but I'm sure there are more women out there with considerably more. Please share.

I had cancer several years ago and I lost a lot of weight. I've kept almost all of it off! I, therefore, have a large collection of formalwear in size 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4! Long gowns, cocktail length dresses, chiffon skirts in floor length and tea length, palazzo pants, beaded tops, sequined tops, etc. Lace, chiffon, satin, and velvet shawls. Tons of evening bags and shoes. I think I have you beat.

1 formal gown with several wraps in varies colors

1 pair of car whatever they are called pants, with about 4 different formal tops in varies colors

1 skirt that is like the car whatever they are called pants that will go with any of the varies tops mentioned above.

I try to keep my formal wear a easy as possible, as that is what seems to take up the most room in a suitcase. If it's a short cruise I might do the gown and a wrap. If it's a longer cruise with more than one formal night. I will take the pants or skirt and more than one top.

I have three full-length gowns, plus about eight very dressy cocktail dresses, then several pairs of velvet slacks and dressy tops ... plus evening skirts, shoes, bags, wraps, etc., etc. With all of that I was still out looking for a new formal yesterday! Fortunately for my bank account, I found absolutely nothing interesting ...

I have way more stuff than I will wear. We don't go to a lot of evening events and we live in Florida so I never wear the velvet stuff unless I go home to Canada in the winter. (And that's not likely because I'm allergic to the cold now!:D )

I have enough for my needs at this time...

We don't need formals often at the Jersey Shore but I do have some timeless pieces that can be put together in a pinch...

For cruising, I might see something I REALLY like but will only purchase it if it's in conjunction with another formal affair close to the cruise date and I know I will wear it.

Years ago, I attended lots of "formals" for benefits and such. Tons of gowns and matching pieces. Those days are over. They were fun at the time and since, all my formals, along with my 4" heels went to charity or consignment...!!

Do you ever have "enough" formal wear? I have some staples that I've been bringing along on cruises, but I change the look a bit for each one. My base outfit has been a travel knit pants, long skirt and top, combined with sparkly beaded collars, or jackets or sequin shrugs, etc. A few weeks ago I got a great buy on a pair of black lined chiffon tuxedo pants for $7 that will roll up into a tiny little zip lock and can be combined with sparkly tops. The pants are so lightweight compared to the travel knit skirt or pants that I'm re-thinking the travel knits altogether. I love looking for formal wear, even though I don't get the chance to wear it often except on cruises.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wow! :eek:

I NEVER wear formal except on cruiseships. So my formal wardrobe consists of:

1 mid-calf chiffon-ish black dress

Last cruise, I hadn't planned on going to the second formal night, since... well... I only have the one dress. I explained to my tablemates why I wouldn't be making an appearance on Friday night, and they were kind enough to insist that I come, and promised they wouldn't care what I wore. And they didn't. To be honest, I doubt that they would even have noticed if I hadn't told them. I did wear different jewelry the second time. :p

Just did a quick mental count and it looks likes my tally is 9 gowns, 5 cocktail dresses, a few dressy pants and tops, too many evening shoes and far too many evening bags.

I love dressing up, maybe because my husband always says I look gorgeous, but then I think he's quite handsome as well. I rue the day that there are no longer formal nights on cruises, which looks like that's where it's headed. Just for the record, I don't care if others don't dress formally.:)

I never have a reason to dress formally either, but I have at least 4 long gowns, one long skirt, a couple of dressy pants several cocktail dresses and various tops and jackets, shawls, sweaters, purses, shoes, etc. More than I could ever wear, or take, on a 7-day cruise, which is all we have ever done.I keep buying more because I find things so darn cheap, plus some outfits I like better than others. Last winter I bought a long black knit formal at Penneys soley because I like the chiffon jacket that came with it! And it cost only about $15.

1 long bronze gown

1 pink dressy outfit that I wore to my son's wedding

1 black tank dress with a couple of fancy silk tops, scarf-like ponchos.

1 lacy black skirt, a beaded twin set, a sequin top

I tend to buy this type of item when I see something I truly love at a decent price. I probably have 4 long dresses/gowns, 6 cocktail dresses, 3 long/asymmetrical skirts, 3 formal jackets, 6 formal tops, 4 formal pairs of shoes and 4 evening bags. These only come out for cruises and I do dress up every night just because I enjoy it. I have sold several "gently worn" formal/cocktail dresses on eBay to free up closet space;)

It never matters how much I have .. Going on a cruise .. I want something NEW .. sigh .

I checked this year and all the formal stuff in my closet was .. Black, Brown and Champagne .. so I bought colors for this time !!!!!!

It never matters how much I have .. Going on a cruise .. I want something NEW .. sigh .

That's me....never dress up unless it's a cruise, always want a new formal.:D .

Now I'm signed up for a 46-day repo on the Mariner in 2009.....have to seriously plan for at least 12 formal nights....looks like I need to downsize my wardrobe! (Can't take the 'puffy' lined gowns, will have to do the slinky knits and the evening pants/tops thing.....a very nice problem to have)

Cheers

I don't do "formal". In my mind, formal implies floor length and I don't do floor length.

All of my dresses are cocktail-length. I can wear them out to social functions, dinners, to work/professional functions, and on the cruise.

I also have several social function appropriate skirts which I pair with cashmere sweaters or some type of sweater sets. I also got a modern-cut tuxedo (which is fabulous!) from Ann Taylor last year. Great buy.

DH does wear a tux for formal night but I am not into the real getting dressed up to kill thing anymore. I travel light, Chico's Travelers pants and a few dressy tops. I leave the rest home in my cruise closet. I like to be real comfortable and most formal clothes make me uncomfortable.

But, some people like to cruise and get all dressed up on formal nights - good for them. Just not my thing anymore. This will be cruise #16 for us, how many photos and formal clothes can one have?

Marion

I have a "cruise closet". It's easy to pack for my cruises, it's all together in one place. I went into the closet last night to start to get ready for a cruise on the AOS in three weeks. Too much in the closet. I don't get rid of anything and I don't know why I keep it all. How much can you wear? My formal outfits never get worn except on cruises, our life is a more casual kind of lifestyle.

I have started dressing comfortable and less dressy for formal nights and am much happier. Going on a 15 day cruise in March and there are NO formal nights...YAY!

Marion

I think cruise formal wear is like shoes.

Can you ever have too much or too many??

Payd:)

I second that!!!!:D I have formal gowns I bought on sale, still with tags on a couple years later. I just bought 2 more new dresses for our cruise in 08. I have yet to wear any formal dress twice. I imagine I will get there though- the more cruises we take.

I think cruise formal wear is like shoes.

Can you ever have too much or too many??

Payd:)

Definitely agree!!! I have some formal dresses that I never got to wear yet!! Plus I am so excited because I will soon be getting a MOB dress and I will take that on my cruise in June! Also, I took 17 pairs of shoes on my last cruise!:eek:

Definitely agree!!! I have some formal dresses that I never got to wear yet!! Plus I am so excited because I will soon be getting a MOB dress and I will take that on my cruise in June! Also, I took 17 pairs of shoes on my last cruise!:eek:

17 Paris of Shoes! You are the Shoe Queen. Did you wear them all? I bring one pair of dress shoes for formal night, and two pairs of sandals - that's it! Aren't you afraid of yoru luggage being over the weight limit? They are taking careful note of the luggage weight now and weighing all the pieces. They are charging extra for the additional weight. 17 pairs of shoes must be very heavy, right?

Marion

Archived