Climbing Diamond Head

CUPOLA

We will be in Hawaii and plan on doing the excursion to Pearl Harbor. We will get back to the ship around 3:30 and the ship sails at 6:00 PM. How long does it take to climb Diamond Head, if you are in relatively good shape? Also how close to where the ship docks is Waikiki Beach area. Is that within walking distance from the ship. I really would like to have some pictures on that beach with Diamond Head in the background, and would also like to climb to the top or even halfway for some good photos. Is this possible. Thanks for your help.

Cupola(Captain Jackie Sparrow of the Poi Deploy)

...Diamond Head from the Honolulu Harbor area. I would estimate that it would take you about 45 minutes from the pier to Diamond Head in a taxi, and traffic might make that even worse. The Hawai'i DNLR brochure says to allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours to hike the trail. That is conservative, as that estimate IMO does not allow for a lot of time at the top to take in the view and snap pictures. Here is the link to the brochure. http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dsp/brochures/DiamondHeadSM.pdf

We have hiked it twice, loved it both times and will hike it again our first day there in December. It is very warm to hike in the afternoon, so a lot of water is needed.

The pier is as I said, some distance from Waikiki, about 8 miles so you definitely cannot walk to a view of the beach or Diamond Head from the Harbor.

Suggest instead you think about photo ops when entering or leaving the harbor. Enjoy! Aloha.

Thanks cool cruiser for the info. I guess you are right. Better take those shots coming and going! Maybe we can leave the RC excrusion early and talke a cab to the beach. Will have to see.

Cupola

I live in Honolulu. The distance from Aloha Tower (where the ships normally docks) to Waikiki in about 3.5 miles away -- by taxi/car, it should take less than 15 minutes in normal traffic. You could go to Ala Moana Beach Park or Kaka'ako Waterfront Park which walkable (1-1.5 miles away) to get scenic pictures of Diamond Head. The Diamond Head hike is further away & will take about 1 - 1.5 hours. It can get very hot up there; there's alot of stairs, but all worth it when you get to the top. Breathtaking views. Enjoy your visit!

I live in Honolulu. The distance from Aloha Tower (where the ships normally docks) to Waikiki in about 3.5 miles away -- by taxi/car, it should take less than 15 minutes in normal traffic. You could go to Ala Moana Beach Park or Kaka'ako Waterfront Park which walkable (1-1.5 miles away) to get scenic pictures of Diamond Head. The Diamond Head hike is further away & will take about 1 - 1.5 hours. It can get very hot up there; there's alot of stairs, but all worth it when you get to the top. Breathtaking views. Enjoy your visit!

I was mentally trying to estimate the time and distance while composing the answer for my reply to OP. It seemed longer in my fond memory of our last few trips! Maybe I enjoy the time there too much and lose track of distances. In any case Aloha Mama is a better source and Mahalo to her for the corrections.

The bus drops you off at the street entrance which is a little ways from the parking lot. I am guessing a 4-5 min hike-uphill just to the parking lot which is even a little ways from the start of the climb. Since we were in a car (passing walkers from the street) I can't speak from experience.

Archived